Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I’ve joined a gym……..
  • gnusmas

Well, the leisure centre and I have my induction on Tuesday. Many months of over eating, self pity and wallowing has definitely taken its toll and I think I’m now at a point where I want to do something about it. Still lacking motivation but hoping that once I start it will spur me on. Between the gym, swimming and cycling I’m hoping to get fit again, lose weight and try and regain some confidence and increase some positivity. Still early days but it’s a start. Just thought I’d let you all know.

benjbish

Once you get in to the gym, the rest is easy.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a rule that I must not break, which is that once I get changed into whatever kit is needed, I must do the activity. I thus force myself to go to the gym by simply putting on gym shorts.

toby1

Plan a time and make that the time you go, for me Monday and Thursday lunches. Almost nothing changes that plan, it’s just what you do then. As for the weight loss, training helps, good food helps more (speaking from a 2.5stone loss so far this year). Good luck!

trumpton
    Free Member

I joined a gym a couple of months ago and try to go 3 times a week. I’ve got bigger and lost fat.

stumpy01

Nice one. Just try not to do the usual thing of going at it like a lunatic for the first month and then giving up.

Much better to go at a realistic frequency and be able to keep it up.

bigdean

Recently joined a leasure centre scheme, got a choice of 3.
    Mainly to go swimming with the gym as free weight option.
    It’s just time I struggle with and motivating to after day at work.

ceept

Well done. Its something I need to get back into this winter.

Make it part of your daily/weekly routine & the rest will follow, including the social aspect. Soon you will feel you missed part of your day when you haven’t been.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Go for it! Start easy. Don’t skimp (or let them skimp) the induction is the best advice (as you know) I have from bitter experience. A negligent induction on rowing machine + no ongoing instructor/supervision + me hitting the machines like a bull in a china shop = left me with groin/ab injuries that meant last 3.5 yrs unable to bike hard, lift hard, ahem hard or drive long distance without setting it back months. Extreme example but forewarned etc!

Enjoy mate, you’ll be a ripped lean machine in 12 months:)

stick_man

Remember, action often comes before motivation. If you can yourself into the gym regularly it will become a habit and you’ll genuinely want to go.

Not every session needs to be enjoyable. Sometime you just go through the process

If you lift be humble to the weight and lift properly

Maybe get some structure and a plan but don’t over complicate things

Keep the length of your sessions realistic. If you work hard you can get a hell of a lot done in 30 to 40 mins

Don’t obsess about your weight, results will come, if you’re patient and consistent.

Bodyweight ttraining can be fun. Check out calisthenics on you tube for good form

Coyote
    Free Member

I go pretty much every morning on my way to work. I find it sets up the day better than if I go straight from home. Stick_man has it in getting structure. Start to develop some routines, nothing too mad but stuff that covers every part of your frame. That way you will never be short of stuff to do. Again referencing the stick guy, 30 to 40 mins is a good start. I find 45 – 50 mins is my sweet spot. If you don’t piss about you can get a lot done in that time. BTW, sitting on equipment updating social media does not count as exercise and will result in pretty harsh judgement from other gym users.

Respect the weight! Always look to push yourself but know your limits. Use the mirrors to correct your form, they aren’t just for admiring your awesomeness. Good form is key to avoiding injuries. Also quality over quantity.

Keep in mind that we all walked through the door for the first time once. The first time is the hardest, after that it just gets better. Enjoy and well done for taking the first step.

jimster01

Don’t forget your towel and water.

gnusmas

Thanks for all the positive replies. Looking forward to the induction tomorrow for the gym, just hope it all goes well.

Took all 4 kids swimming yesterday too, bit of a struggle but managed it and everyone enjoyed. All looking good so far.

Bunnyhop

This is great news.

You will get fitter, lose weight and make friends.

As others have said, take it easy at first. Little and often is the key.

Don’t push yourself, build it up slowly, but I stress make sure you go and continue. even when you don’t want to, do it, because the feeling of accomplishment after if great and far outweighs the desire to not go.

Good luck, not that’ you’ll need it.

bunnyhop x

dissonance

See if they do classes spin/hiit etc.
    Personally I find it helps a lot with making me turn up. Since I have to prebook its harder not to just shrug and get a icecream out.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I have a rule that I must not break, which is that once I get changed into whatever kit is needed, I must do the activity.

You are Mr Benn and I claim my five pounds.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m no personal trainer but I’d avoid general cardio in a gym when you have a real bike. it’s shit and 20 mins feels like murder. Even the PT I had said not to bother since I both run (occasionally) and ride*.

Spin classes or HIIT etc are ok though, but I’d focus on weights. Stronglifts 5×5 was super easy to follow because there’s an app that simply tells you what to do, no fannying about required. But do watch the videos very carefully for technique.

* Unless you really have no time for riding, but even then spin etc is much better than just plodding

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

those stepper machines on 7 or 8 are pretty good for cardio and leg strength.

remember to take your phone in and ocasionally stand sideways on to the wall mirrors, scrunch up your top around your waist or lift it slightly, and take selfies of your reflection so you can see how well you are progressing towards having a butt like Beyonce’s.

The endless staircases are also pretty good but you will find them busy with young girls doing sidesteps and other motions that look like they might end up with knee and joint problems.

molgrips
    Free Member

The best thing about the endless stairs is the metaphorical imagery! And you can pretend you are in a Greek legend or a Pink Floyd video, whichever you prefer.

EDIT damn, I’m sure there was a Pink Floyd video featuring an endless staircase but Google is coming up with nothing. Was it someone else? Anyone? Bueller?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have a rule that I must not break, which is that once I get changed into whatever kit is needed, I must do the activity. I thus force myself to go to the gym by simply putting on gym shorts.

Pass me my eating smock.

gnusmas

So, I actually went to my induction this morning. Started asking general questions to advise me and had to explain my situation to him, he looked a bit floored bless him. He advised on the best way to go about things. Start slowly and work up gradually etc.

The instructor told me as we were finishing he was just about to set up the synrgy360 for a beginners class and did I fancy booking in to have a go? I thought sod it, why not. So I did. Pretty sure he said start off slow! 45 min session, one hell of a workout. Aching a bit now, literally all over.

I thought seeing as i was there I’d have a swim too, without the kids for a change. Managed 10 lengths of the pool. Don’t think that’s too bad for my first proper bit of exercise in about 4 years.

Already booked in for next Tuesdays session too, as hard going as it was I thoroughly enjoyed it.

jimmy

Well done. Classes are great – get them booked in a week in advance and there’s your motivation to go next time!

mogrim

Well done. Classes are great – get them booked in a week in advance and there’s your motivation to go next time!

This is a great tip – put it in your calendar and you have to go! And well done from me, too.

gnusmas

This is a great tip – put it in your calendar and you have to go! And well done from me, too.

This was exactly my thinking when I booked it lol. And thanks 👍

benjbish

We’re all willing you on. Find a variety of classes to stage through the week that you get into and you’ll get new friends and feel like you have to go as its you’re new social life.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I’ve joined a gym……..’ is closed to new replies.