Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I've got the most astonishing cold!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Had it since last Wednesday. On Thursday it turned snotty and it's showing no sign of stopping yet. The sheer quantity of snot has to be seen to be believed. My sinuses are making 'eeeeeeeeeeeee' sounds as it all slops around in there. I've got sore stomach muscles from blowing my nose. I've just had about 6 blows in succession and it's getting thicker and greener them more I blow, and it's not stopping. I think my eye is loose now, it hurts behind it.
    What colour is brain? I'm getting worried.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

astonishingly revolting 🙁

Talkemada
    Free Member

Eeeeuuuuuw! Sounds nasty!

Get thissen to a physician pronto!

scaredypants

I reckon blowing your nose just pressurises & fills your sinuses up

sniff & be proud

you might get antibiotics from your GP if they think it's sinusitis, but don't bet on it

xc-steve
    Free Member

Vacuum cleaner?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No point going to a doctor with a cold. They can't cure it anyway. We both had gastroenteritis the week before as well, which was 3 days in bed and, err, both ends blowing off hard. I've not ridden a bike in 2 weeks now. This sucks big time 🙁

Talkemada
    Free Member

From your description, I'd say it may be slightly more than 'just a cold'. Sounds like you may have a bout of sinusitis. Ignore it at your peril; it could linger for ages, without treatment, and possibly cause long term damage to your sense of smell.

Harry_the_Spider

I had one a few weeks back and it felt like me head was going to burst. Eventually, after 4 or 5 days, something let go and about half a tea cup full a clear orange fluid came out. It was disgusting but I felt so much better.

Enjoy your lunch.

binners

Does your house now resemble this?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

With the amount of farting I do, having no sense of smell would be great!

It's starting to tail off now. I could tase my dinner last night for the first time since last Wednesday.

I'm hoping this thick green gunge is the end of it like Harrys orange stuff :/

grynch
    Free Member

docs can't cure the common cold but green snot = probably sinus infection.

molgrips
    Free Member

I've had niggling post-cold symptoms (snot at night and tiredness) for bloody months 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tell you what, I recon all these big lumps have stretched my nose out. I can breath so well now!

DrP

Pete you girly-man; put up with it, use your sleeve instead of those hallo-vera hankies, and swoosh whisky up each nostril…… Doctor's orders!!

DrP

slowjo
    Free Member

dirtworker up each nostril for five minutes should clear you out ok! 😉

nickc

What are sinuses for exactly? Seems to me they're just for getting blocked up with snot…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Warming incoming air I was once told by my biology teacher. I'm not sure how that works myself.

DrP

What are sinuses for exactly?

Technically the air doesn't flow through the sinuses, so not really for warming the air.
    Theories include lightening the skull whilst maintaining strength, altering the pitch of our voice (can't really see an evolutionary advantage there though), or as a crumple zone….?!

DrP

oldfart

Makes you wonder why your head doesn't cave in !!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It has to be said I think it's mostly space in there by now.

But then, some would say it always was!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, right. Had a very bad night last night. I blew my nose and the pain behind/just above my eye came back, with a vengance. It was like someone was trying to dig my face out with a spoon. I've never felt anything like it. I've broken bones, but this was waaaaay worse. It took over an hour and as many ibuprofen and paracetamol as I dared take to get rid of it. I was in agony, really bad.

Not having that again. It's out 1st wedding aniversary this weekend and I've got some stuff planned, so I'm off to the docs at 11am. Can't deal with that again.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Obligatory STW advice….MTFU? 😛

Hope the docs can sort it for the weekend.

tonyg2003

I had the most terrible sinusitis years ago. I was absolutely fed up with it and went for a big ride in the peaks (not the most sensible thing I'd agree). I got to the top of a big climb (can't remember which one) and I had the most searing pain. I leaned over and both my sinuses drained completely. It was something like a scene from Aliens. The most revolting thing but fabulous once it was clear.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Obligatory STW advice….MTFU?

I tried that last night. That was astonishing pain. Time to MTF myself to the doctors now. Enough's enough. 🙁

nickc

Sorry tonyg2003, it was probably really painful, but that made me laugh…soz.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing like a good bike ride for clearing stuff out 🙂

mtbfix

I had a stinking cold a few weeks ago and it lasted a fortnight. I got over that and then got a 24hr bug which made me sick at both ends. Now I have a cold again. I blame the baby as she is more social than me and so must keep bringing these ailments home from playgroups.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nothing like a good bike ride for clearing stuff out

Nor ridden a bike for over 2 weeks now. Before this we both had gastoenteritis. I've been OK for about 3 days out of the last 12. Went for a short 3-4 mile stroll on Sunday, came back and felt absolutely knackered. I can't even look at a bike right now and I usually do 70-90 miles a week. 🙁

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"half a tea cup full a clear orange fluid came out"

WTF was that!

Anna-B
    Free Member

I've had a throat infection for 12 days now and been awake at 4 in the morning because of it for the last 6. I went to the Drs yesterday and am now part of university medical research into how long untreated sore throats take to go away; apparently only 12 hours more than if you treat with antibiotics.

PP there are some tenacious germs around! GWS.

TenMen
    Free Member

At least you can blow your own nose. My 3yr old has had luminous snot candles for about 3 days now, and seems to be intent on wiping them on the telly. Or his sister.

MrOvershoot

Sounds like sinusitis Peter, the pain is pretty awful isn't it. Not as bad as Kidney stones but bad enough.

I have suffered quite a bit with mine and its shocking how much and what colour the stuff that comes out can be!

I discovered that by drawing slightly warm water up my nose and hold it just at the point where you thought you were going to choke, then release it would clear them for several hours.

redthunder
    Free Member

Same here. Not ridden for a week 🙁

Started with sore throat went after a day.
    Coughing for a day.
    Now just endless snot all the time.
    Jarring sinus when I walk.

As you say it does'nt seem like it will go away 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sounds like sinusitis Peter, the pain is pretty awful isn't it

Yes it is, and errr, yes it is. 😉

Just back from the Docs with some Amoxicillin, some Diclofenac, and some Co-codamol if it gets really badly painful again.

See, told you I was ill! 😉

scaredypants

manthefuppacillin, you say ?!

you must be poorly

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

the orange muck is diagnostic of sinusitis.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

manthefuppacillin, you say ?!

you must be poorly

LOL! And thanks for that I need a giggle.

Update
    Still feeling shyte. 🙁

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I've got the most astonishing cold!’ is closed to new replies.