Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I've got a new Favourite Beer
  • nbt

About 7 for 8 years back, I suddenly – more or less overnight – acquired a taste for bitter, rather than lager. Having enjoyed a ride around Macc Forest, we'd called in to the King's Head @ Gurnett, and faced with a choice of Carlsberg or Wifebeater found myself unable to choose either. Instead, I randomly pointed at one of the hand pumps and was rewarded with my first pint of Marston's Pedigree, for which I developed an immediate and long lasting fondness. Over the years I've dallied with many other beers and have taken a shine to some, but Pedigree has always been my favourite.

However, a recent visits to (whisper it quietly) Morrison's has changed all that. 4 bottles for a fiver gave me the opportunity to try four beers that I've never tasted before – I had a tenner, so two of each, just to make sure. One was Thwaits' remembrance ale, and one was Black Sheep's Yorkshire Square ale – both acceptable, but nothing special. I can't even remember what the fourth one was, as my mind has been dedicated solely to the golden nectar of the gods that is Thwaites' Wainwright Ale. Beautiful, simply beautiful. I'm looking forward to finding it on tap somewhere, as I find that proper hand pumped beer is always better than bottled, and if it's that good from a bottle (and both bottles were exceptional, I tell you) then the pumped stuff bust surely be fabulous

Anyone else have a taste for this fine ale? Or have you recently found some other beer worth hunting down? I just wish I had some left for tonight!

AdrianW
    Free Member

I've been enjoying the beers of Little Valley Brewery lately website here

I'm lucky enough to live local enough to buy direct from the brewery which is slightly cheaper

grumm
    Free Member

Yup it's lovely stuff – fairly common on tap round these parts (Lancaster).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You have to check out these guys :

I joined the 52 week club and strongly recommend you do too. Great chance to try loads of different stuff delivered to your door without having to admit you go to Morrissons on a public forum.

bigsi
    Free Member

Discovered Langhams LSD at last weekends beer festival and am currently ploughing through a mixed box of ales bought from a Suffolk Beer shop that only sells beers from breweries in East Anglia, tonights brewery will be Brandon's………… can't wait 😛

Gary_C

mmmmm…….Wainwright Ale…….

First sampled this fine brew two years ago at the Thwaites Brewery open day,(didn't have far to go either,its only a mile from home 😀 ) which was part of their 200 year celebrations.
    Did the brewery tour,then into the visitor centre for 'samples'.The guy behind the bar was keen for me to try Wainwrights,as it was a recent addition to their range,when I went back for my second pint he was full of questions as to what my thoughts & impressions were.It was only later that I found out that he was the head brewer!No wonder he took such an interest.
    Oh,& just to confirm,yes,the cask ale is indeed fabulous!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Don't forget to try Itchen Valley Brewery Pure Gold.

Rob Dupre of these parts (and TV stardom) is head brewer and a top bloke.

Gary_C

Oh,in addition to Thwaites,this local microbrewery do a fine range of ales too.

EDIT:As do Bowland Brewery

hp_source

Spotted: Wednesday night, Wainwright on tap in the Grassington House Hotel, Grassington…. it's a long way to go though (unless you can plan a ride that 'happens' to start/finish/require a pub stop there) 😛

And yes it is a lovely pint!

snowslave

Sportsman in Hayfield – toptastic Thwaites pub serving Wainwright……

allthepies
    Free Member

>Discovered Langhams LSD at last weekends beer festival

Had two pints of that after a ride the other weekend. Whoa! Instant sleeps-ville when I got home 🙂

Oh and in general bottled beers are just a poor reflection of the actual "real" cask conditioned beer (even those which are conditioned in the bottle).

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If you get over to it, the Oakwood Real Ale Festival in Rotherham is perhaps the best and only reason to go to Rotherham – absolutely massive and held in my old school, which always feels odd.

Literally hundreds of beers, some ciders/perry and lagers.

Link to the website here: clickety

Oh, and love Waggeldance in bottles – can see on the rack as I type this Old Speckled Hen, Bombadier Empire and a new one to me – Hop.

nbt

snowslave – Member

Sportsman in Hayfield – toptastic Thwaites pub serving Wainwright……

w00t, 15 minutes drive for me, Mrs NBT doesn;t drink, I know where we're going tonight!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Try "Innes & Gunn" – expensive, but tastes outrageous. Stored in ex-whiskey casks!

BTW, bottled bitter is always better than pump-drawn IME, unless it's been VERY well kept… Especially up north, where they seem to be obsessed with making everything "smooth" by adding nitrogen or "air fizz". 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

>BTW, bottled bitter is always better than pump-drawn IME, unless it's been VERY well kept.

Bottled beer is more consistent than cask ale that's for sure but find a pub with good cellar skills and there's just no comparison.

nbt

Had some bottled Innes & Gunn, it didn;t really grab me, I'm not a whiskey drinker really.

and as for "smooth", speak for yourself, I'm from "up north" and although I'll drink top gas in preference to lager, I'll always go for the hand pump if one is available. and I prefer pumped bitter to bottled, it's rare to find a handpumped beer that's badly kept (although it has happend, viz the Green Dragon inn just outsde Hawes)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Anyone like Jaipur IPA? I love it and its brewed in my shire!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They have Thwaites Wainright in Threshers/WineRack at the moment, haven't tried it yet, but I will. I'm into American cascade hops at the moment like Copper Dragons Goldern Pippin, Saltaire Brewerys Cascade.

mybike
    Free Member

Thwaites do a few I like.
    Morrisons sell a nice one called Roaring Meg from Springhead Brewary

I have stopped buying Jennings in bottles as its now brewed in Wolverhampton 🙁

Haze

Wye Valley HPA FTW!

Smee
    Free Member

Cairngorm Breweries – Sheepshagger. Now there's a fine tasting refreshment.

alpin
    Free Member

last time i was in the UK i was quite taken with Doom Bar.

really miss real beer. there is one here in the Franken area of Germany called Schmäus (schmois) that reminds me of beer back 'home'.

nbt

Wainwright ale on tap is a winner. thanks.

grumm
    Free Member

BTW, bottled bitter is always better than pump-drawn IME, unless it's been VERY well kept… Especially up north, where they seem to be obsessed with making everything "smooth" by adding nitrogen or "air fizz".

😕

theboatman
    Free Member

Since this now seems to be a promote your favourite beer type thread, I would recommend to anyone that lives in the Derby area http://www.amberales.co.uk/, great beer and a rather friendly delivery service if you can be flexible – Go Beer!!!

Smee
    Free Member

Fruli is also a seriously fine tasting beer.

MrNutt
    Free Member

+10 for the Itchen Valley Brewery Pure Gold.

snowslave

[kerpow batman] Bank Top – Flat Cap. [/Kerpow batman]

Sidney
    Free Member

I've really got a taste for Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold. Well worth a sup!

TooTall
    Free Member

BTW, bottled bitter is always better than pump-drawn IME, unless it's been VERY well kept… Especially up north, where they seem to be obsessed with making everything "smooth" by adding nitrogen or "air fizz".

My boy – you need to get out more – or are you referring to the 'North' as somewhere South of the Tyne?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I've got a new Favourite Beer’ is closed to new replies.