Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I've gone to the even darker side!
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve bought a roadhawk ride as, from a week on monday, I will return to commuting into london village centre. The last time I did this 15 each way journey I often had near misses and near deaths. So now with the return, I thought I’d at least arm myself ‘in case’… part of me worries this camera will film my last momemts. Truely its a niggle in the deeper area of my brain.

cookeaa

What do you actually hope to do with the footage of your inevitable demise/injury/shouty road rage incident/tutting at everyone?

fasthaggis

part of me worries this camera will film my last momemts. Truely its a niggle in the deeper area of my brain.

Please don’t worry too much,you won’t see it coming ,let alone film it.

HTH 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

Please dont do a you tube channel.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’m not going to be doing the road warrior thing and posting every little misdemeaner <sp?> online, but from my memory of last time I did this commutte … I want to record it in case some brainless idiot nearly wipes me ou, or as seen in recent youtubes, in case a neanderthal white van man hurls his fist at me… and then there can be no doubt about what happens. Hopefully it isnt for posterity 😉 (touch wood)

I also quite like the idea of capturing the footage through the royal parks with the deer on foggy mornings and maybe even do a bit of filming on offroad rides with mates.

But mostly its for protection. admittedly percieved protection.

fatboyjon

We look forward to your hugely amusing future youtube links with titles such as Look what this tool did when I intentionally provoked him, and Can you read that number plate for me through the blood on my lens?

Return it for a refund before it turns you into a fight hunting self righteous moron.

Actually, as I don’t know you, you could already be a fight hunting self righteous moron in which case you may not be entitled to a refund because you’re already barred from the shop, having videoed yourself poking the sales assistant with a biro saying odd things about them invading your personal space and having as much right to be there as them and goading them into making comments of your lack of road tax.

I’ll work on the assumption that this isn’t how you conduct yourself in public and again recommend the return for a refund approach.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

fight hunting self righteous moron

a bit like assuming youre fat I guess, best not to make assumptions. 😉

cookeaa

I understand the theory, The idea that the trillions of dangerous Drivers, all around us, actively hunting cyclists, upon spotting a Camera will moderate their behaviour for fear of irrefutable video evidence being used to extract precious points from their Death Race Scorecard Licence, Except I don’t think it actually works this way…

Commuter Helmet Cam footage mostly ends up on Youtube illustrating the various minor dust ups they have with everyone else on the road, and from what I can see the rozzers are pretty much disinterested unless you are actually deaded to death…

Many motorists will see that wonky camera mounted on your noggin as a clear sign that you are “Looking for trouble” something to post up on the Web and complain about the Evils of driving motorcars…
    they just don’t help IMO, it’s seen as more antagonistic than anything else…

I’m not going to be doing the road warrior thing and posting every little misdemeanor online…

So you say, but you went and bought a “Roadhawk” which from reading the bumph and Reviews online is obviously a camera primarily aimed at road warriors out to capture bad drivers and shame them online…

Helmet cams should be used for creating Badly edited trail Riding videos where your mate Dave tumbles in to a bush or sideways off of a 6″ high “Skinny”…

These 127 second POV snippets, where some angry, middle class, Altura-man hunts for a Chav in a Transit to play fisticuffs with are starting to get old…

By the way, have you Met Gaz?:

fatboyjon

But I am fat. Not sure what you’re getting at. Maybe you could post a video of your explanation to help me out?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

then your well named sir, huzzah BUT it just shows that you shouldnt assume and you shouldnt judge a book by its cover, just having roadhawk wont make me a road warrior with a youtube channel, it might make me a uber careful cyclist who is very pedant, and interested in his rides into work.. might… might not.

I’ve bought this for many reasons, some are self defense in case I should ever need it, some are to see if it can make half decent films on and offroad, one reason is an interest in how this changes my riding style. Its interesting that so many cyclists post up youtube videos of bad interactions with cars. what is it that has made many cyclist begin to record their near misses… I think in some cases its the frustration of so many near misses, the police and wider public not being interested/believing it happens? almost a cry for change. I’m not sure I fit well into any category but am interested in what happens next now I have one.

twinklydave

There’s not much else to do with the footage, other than put it on YouTube – the Police certainly won’t care/use it for anything 😕

D0NK

These 127 second POV snippets, where some angry, middle class, Altura-man hunts for a Chav in a Transit to play fisticuffs with are starting to get old…

yawn

Return it for a refund before it turns you into a fight hunting self righteous moron.

double yawn

Many motorists will see that wonky camera mounted on your noggin as a clear sign that you are “Looking for trouble”

hmm most of the “incidents” (inc. near misses, certainly everytime I’ve ended up on the deck they’ve claimed smidsy) I’ve had seem to be from drivers not seeing me at all let alone being able to clock what is/isnt attached to my headgear and deciding I’m a troublemaker, so not sure this argument holds water.

As Ti pin says footage may be used as evidence incase there is an actual contact incident. Probably only against the driver’s insurance companies coz as has been pointed out before, police/cps don’t seem to give a shit about bike cam footage.

DezB
    Free Member

one reason is an interest in how this changes my riding style

You know you’ll end up riding in the middle of the road in the hope that Clarkson tweets you or up the inside of lorries just to get some footage, or inviting a bus to cut you up on a roundabout to fill youtube space… or else, like most of us, it won’t change your riding in the slightest.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Plenty of STW’s have obviously had a shitty weekend and are hating Monday.

The man wants to stick a camera on his head, good for him.

ribena
    Free Member

The evidence is still useful (in fact, almost essential) for any civil claims for damages, such as costs of repairing the bike. Otherwise its your word against theirs, and video evidence could tip the balance in your favour.

will
    Free Member

Commuting in London really isn’t that bad at all.

The perception of commuting in London however is that you will die.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kind of worrying at the hate coming out, OP’s clearly said he’s only doing it for his own protection.

Or have I misclicked onto a Tog Gear thread? Seems to be the same mentality – create a hate group based on a tiny minority.

divenwob
    Free Member

Posting on here is becoming dangerous, cant you see any humour in what has been said above?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Spot on Al, what happened last week!?

I can perceive plenty of humour divenwob, but it’s a waste of time trying to laugh.

Sometimes we all feel posting on here is dangerous, but only for fear of trolololololing from snarky folk.

njee20
    Free Member

Commuting in London really isn’t that bad at all.

The perception of commuting in London however is that you will die.

+1

divenwob
    Free Member

I think if the OP finds it reassuring to have a camera then that is a good thing.It is a means to an end and should allow him to carry out his day with less stress,so crack on mate!

cynic-al
    Free Member

divenwob – Member
    Posting on here is becoming dangerous, cant you see any humour in what has been said above?

I didn’t see anything funny. Is this JC’s famous “it’s only a joke” defence? 😉

bails

Probably only against the driver’s insurance companies coz as has been pointed out before, police/cps don’t seem to give a shit about bike cam footage.

Yup.

I use a cam. Most nights I get home and delete the footage. Occasionally upload it if I’ve done something daft like fallen over on ice 😆

But it’s there so that if I’m out of pocket and injured after some numbskull has run me over then I can get what i’m owed back from them/their insurance.

I admit I see some of the ‘warriors’ and wonder if they actually enjoy riding their bikes. Though, they’d probably be like that without the cam, you just wouldn’t see it. Whereas with a cam you do see it, and you DON’T see anything from the ‘normal’ people so it skews the perception of cam users to raving lunatics.

To be honest, if you based your perception of any group on what you saw on youtube you’d end up with a warped view of it 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m an eternal optomist. Perhaps I’m being naive, but I think I’ll survive every trip on my bike without getting knocked of 🙂
    If I became so sure I’d be in a accident, and would need a camera to record evidence I’d probably give up the bike.

bails

I’m an eternal optomist

Do you have home insurance? 😉

cookeaa

Whoops

merf777
    Free Member

I think its a good idea, much the same reason I have one of these in my car. Paul

mattbee

OP, don’t take the’witty’ comments personally, their authors just wanted to share them with the world & you gave them the platform to do so.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I cycled into london village every day a couple of years ago and I agree I dont expect to die. This is my return to that routine.

I think its like any demographic, theres as many kn0bs NOT with cameras as there are with them, in this case its just they post up evidence so are seen as warriors, I suspect most are like you and me, just ordinary folks frustrated at feeling second class on the roads.

OP, don’t take the’witty’ comments personally, their authors just wanted to share them with the world & you gave them the platform to do so.

Been on this ere forum long enough to have grown a thick skin and take comments with plenty of salt and a smile. 😉 Happy to hear peoples comments and views. Interesting that some cyclists think that I will become some road warrior just cos I record my footage. Ha. Like i say, assertive not aggressive but ultimatly human so inclined to the occasional bit of red mist on a bad day. just an ordinary joe. 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I've gone to the even darker side!’ is closed to new replies.