Ive gone Ghetto

Home Forum Bike Forum Ive gone Ghetto

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ive gone Ghetto
  • Frankers

    You don’t need a new tube, I fit new tyres using the same split tube


    going to get some bits together soon. I think our club is going to have a tubeless evening. Our weekly night ride clocked up about 20 punctures last time (there were over 20) because of hedge trimming.

    What rims?

    I was going to use gravity pros so probably pretty much the same there.

    so poured 50ml into the track pump

    Blimey, the jra bottle has a slim nozzle so I just removed the valve core and squeezed it in.

    Run at 30psi for best results.


    of course it does


    There’s a 50ml applicator bottle which is what ‘es talking about

    Jonb.- MAvic Crossland .
    Actually a UST rim, but I own about 5 sets of non UST tyres So I thought i would give Ghetto a go first.

    I was also going to try a Gravity ,as I have a pair of these too, but they are not the Protection version. They clog a little quicker IME , but hold a good line when cranked over and are good on roots .

    Having picked up a set of MAvic Crosslands from the classifieds with UST rimstrips I had a go at a ‘Ghetto’conversion.
    I read the linky posted on here last week to a nerdy blog site , and basically followed his directions.
    Went to 2 LBS’s , in both I had to explain what going ‘ghetto’ involved. So armed with a Schwalbe 20 x 1.5 Presta (removable core) tube , a bottle of Just riding along wheel milk and a roll of insulation tape I had a crack at it.
    stripped and cleaned the rim , and re-inforced the existing tape with anotgher layer of insulation tape, pumped up the tube, slipped it over the rim, screwed down the locknut , centralised it on the rim , and cut along the seam.
    Next folded it over the rim and wiped out all the chalk. Cleaned and maticuously checked the tyres for thorns. I have a set of Conti Vert Pro’s in 2.3 and like the way they roll etc. Wiped the bead with WUL and carefully fitted them over the tube/ rim combo. Was expecting more agro due to the incremental increase in diameter , but once I figured to pinch the tube against the rim they popped over surprising easily.
    A few quick blasts with the track pump et voila, inflated tyre. a single 1cm cut was hissing so I deflated the tyre and stuck a patch over the split from the inside. Waited 20 mins then re-inflated and checked for leaks, none apparent so deflated again and tried to get the wheel milk in. Couldnt find an easy way , so poured 50ml into the track pump, and blasted it in that way. Then cut away the ‘tongue’ of protuding inner tube.
    Went for a ride , they seem firmer for the same pressure I run them at 35 psi, quicker to spin up when compared to slimed tubes with about 50 – 60 ml of slime in them.
    No loss of pressure overnight, just need to go for a longer ride where they have been hedge cutting.
    Being a tard I fitted the front tyre backwards so might need to rotate it at some point, but I guess that involves a new tube. Quietly impressed so far.

    Reckon they might need 5 – 10 psi less for added traction , small bump etc

    I’ve got some brand new 819s sitting in the bike room, still haven’t got round to building them up as my ghetto 717s have been so good!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ive gone Ghetto’ is closed to new replies.