Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • I've gone 29er now.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Bought tonight, nothing special I only ride one once a week tops. I did need something and the manufacturers really are pushing 29ers.
    Got a 2013 X-Caliber for under £800, which is a blinder for a bike with Rebas. And comes in at 25lb which is very reasonable for a basic bike.

Racing it from the 31st. There you go and end of an era.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sucker!

They might be quicker over some things but they will be slower over other things. And they’re dead hard to wheelie.

Manufacturers don’t tell you that now do they?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

you’ll be riding more often now,..well done that man

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did need something and the manufacturers really are pushing 29ers.

They’ve got to make room for all the 650s! 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well done oldgit, ride it like a CrossBike and all will be well.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m on a roll now, what else can I buy?

twoniner
    Free Member

Good effort, welcome to the big wheel revolution! 😀

RustySpanner

I’d be really grateful if you could tell me where you got that bike at that price.

What canti’s will you be retro fitting? 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Pass the smelling salts I’ve just bought a velcro strap as well.

Rusty a bit of trade help, even so it’s a good deal at full price.

singlespeedstu

And they’re dead hard to wheelie.

Really. 😕

Wookster

Pics or it didn’t happen!!!! 😆

dirtyderek
    Free Member

Tried my newly built 29er out tonight ,cant realy see a down side to it yet , what is supposed to be the downside ???

khani
    Free Member

Your wheels explode!!!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Slow turning, can’t do single track, harder to get going on techy climbs, can’t do rocky descents, and loads of other bull poo

shermer75
    Free Member

Edit: I didn’t read down far enough!!

dirtyderek
    Free Member

Oh i see the downside!!!! but mine is a ragly bigwig with a 140 fork and compared to my old 26in ragley it seems to handle just as well and certainly flies down the rocky downhill, will have to give it a try at Afan or Cwmcarn to find its achilies heel i suppose ?

Paceman
    Free Member

Slow turning, can’t do single track, harder to get going on techy climbs, can’t do rocky descents, and loads of other bull poo

LOL… you’ve clearly not ridden my 29er 😀

tk46hal
    Free Member

Steve b77!!!!

Your having a laugh 😆

Oldgit, Also time for a new CX then!

oldgit
    Free Member

Eggbeater rebuild kit, ESI grips and a swap to my Flite Ti and I’ll be good to go. Oh and inner tubes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Oldgit, Also time for a new CX then!

Nah the old one will see me good for a few years yet.
    The road race bikes going well, took me to an age win Tuesday.
    The trainer is as sweet as.
    Just got an old Raleigh Alu Max to commute/pub it on.
    And the old Hannington 531 Professional is just about to come out of restoration.
    In a very happy bike place right now.

GEDA
    Free Member

I just built My 29er up. Tis good but i Would not want it as My only bike. Fast uphill, on rocky tech Climbs, steps. The problem is it feels like à mondeo while My other bikes feel like manual sports cars. I tried the 29er out on my pumptrack and it is easier than my other bikes. Good and bad. I suppose the feeling is that one has less input it just steam rollers its Way through. All in all its great to have à different type of ride but i like the extra skill, manouverbility of my prophet and dialled alpine. Can imagine the 29er would be great in the peaks rocky trails but not so good in the lakes.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

They are dead good and the real deal. They are not slower over anything so don’t listen to the haters. They are not dead hard to wheels or manual – your ability to do that will be limited by you and not the bike – a bad workman blames his tools! Ride it and enjoy it.

Paceman
    Free Member

29ers need MORE rider input; I’ve found I’ve needed to lean the bike more, work on my weight distribution and be more confident in my manualling. Once you adapt you’ll really see the benefits, handling like a 26er but way way faster. They are definitely a worthwhile evolution in our sport, and sit well alongside 26ers as an alternative option in my opinion.

Ignore the luddite trolls 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sarcasm, sometimes people just don’t get it.

Paceman – never ridden yours but ride the pants off mine regularly 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

LOL … fair play Steve_b77 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Faster faster faster!!!

When I used to compete in Motorsport hillclimbing and sprints, I would spend inordinate amounts of money and time to make my car go faster. The irony being that I then spent less time driving it.

Does the same inverse law also apply to bigger wheels and bikes?

Although, I did have a lot of fun preparing the car and finding out which mod’s made it go quicker and it’s all about the journey after all….

Paceman
    Free Member

Only you can make your bike go faster. I firmly believe working on your skills, fitness and mindset is the path to becoming a faster rider. Although having a bike that your comfortable with and which suits your riding will definitely help. This may well be a bigger wheeled bike for some people, others not 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

Wise words Paceman, I’m right with you there. 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Wise words indeed Paceman and for sure the way we all should be going. But then reality bites. All that good stuff you’re talking about takes hours and hours of drilling and practice. Unfortunately alot of us simply don’t have the luxury of that time. I wish I did, but I don’t. I try to make the best use of the time I do have by sessioning sections of trails I find difficult and looking for new features along the way. And though i’m a much much better rider now than I was even 2 years aso, it will only get me so far due to time limitations. If a new bit of kit can help with confidence, even if it is a placebo, then what’s the problem with that?

oldgit
    Free Member

At the shop now, so Thursday or Saturday. A quick shake down and ready to race on the 31st.
    Looking forward to being able to race down the stairs at the MK Bowl, always had to take the slower chicken run on my ancient SID equipped bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

That’s cheatin.
    I know everyone raves about the bikes they have, so I’ll do the same. Only this is a budget? 29er.
    I didn’t want to go over £1300.
    I didn’t really want a Cube or the like….no real reason, I just like bike shop brands.
    And although on a budget I would want to race it now and then. I knew Treks always made a good alu frame, and this one has the GF touch which men of my age like.
    The spec seemed good as well, full SRAM, tubeless ready and Reba’s and a weight around 25lb. Plus it looks good.
    I got it yesterday, and it was ace out of the box. I can’t fault a thing…pushed the cheap QR levers!
    Bare in mind £1300 is the full price.

My mate who bought it for me owns a store that sells another big name brand. last night he conceded this was the best hardtail at the price end of.

Edit. Handling, what’s the issue. I don’t know if it’s the geometry or what, but this out maneuvered my 26er. One example is where you are spat out of the singletrack and have to turn hard left and uphill at the same time. Usually you have to use the whole track and tease the bike round. The Trek just took it easilly only using half the space to turn.

rOcKeTdOg

And they’re dead hard to wheelie.

If i can do it, anyone can

oldgit
    Free Member

Exactly, I thought about that… had a go and did my best wheelies ever. wide bars, short stem ?

nimo
    Free Member

enjoy the ride, my 29er is the best bike I have had. (and I have had lots!!!!!) they make any trail smoother which means you can go faster! why wouldn’t you want that?

oldgit
    Free Member

Had my first proper test today, I’ve never been so impressed with a new bike. Though racing a 29er is a slightly different style it seems. Some of the sections that that were ridden hard out of the saddle and over the bars, are now taken sitting far back and pushing.
    I was also reminded of my first susser and it being a bit of a skills compensator. The 29er felt a bit like that wet roots and cambers…no problem.
    One thing, my Trek (Gary Fisher model)has Genesis geometry and I notice the Rebas fitted are marked G or genesis or something. Are other 29er forks matched?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘I've gone 29er now.’ is closed to new replies.