• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I’ve found my dream tyre, but…
  • kimbers

it’s 80quid a wheel 😂😂😂

Had to buy the 650b dh version when I ripped a tyre at UKGE Ae race, was amazing sticky compound, brilliant tread, stuck to everything and cleared mud really well, quite draggy, but great for the front

Now on a 29er they only sold the sticky version in 650b, the hard version is great as a back tyre but gets caught out on wet roots & rocks
    Then they released it for 29, but apparently weighs 1.5kg (its wired double sidewalls etc)

So onza finally released a sensible weight version in a medium sticky compound and they are super limited, tan wall and crazy expensive

https://www.onza-tires.com/products/aquila

1st world problem I know, but I know my goldilocks tyre is out there, just beyond my grasp

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s always a “but” these days, eh?

I’ve got the normal compound on my trail bike, was pleasantly surprised by it.

In terms of sticky compound tyres, I’m about to try the WTB Verdict in high grip on the front, seems like it’ll do the same job as this and I already have the Verdict Wet – which is ridiculously grippy in the slop.

Northwind

Annoying isn’t it, I have much the same with the maxxis dhr2, the maxxgrip exo 2.4 is a bloody phenomenal front tyre- dh rubber on a trailbike carcass, obvious thing to do but it doesn’t happen that often. Bloody expensive though. And the EXO+ rear I want to match it is unobtainable in the UK.

Honestly I reckon tyres are about the most important thing on a bike, so I don’t mind paying a bit extra for something that works so well… But always in your head is that jaggy rock that can trash it instantly…

tpbiker
    Free Member

Whilst 80 quid is bloody expensive for a bike tyre, as northwind points out what other single component will give you such a performance benefit

I bet you wouldn’t think twice spending an extra 80 quid on a lighter group set or wheels yet would they give as much benefit as a tyre? And in reality it’s only going to be an extra 40 quid on top of a box standard ‘cheap’ tyre isn’t it.

I’m more of a roadie nowadays but tyres are the one thing I’ll spend the money on to get exactly the one I want. Life is too short for shit tyres.

chakaping
    Free Member

Life is too short for shit tyres.

I’ve said the exact same thing before, but £80 is a bit silly when you can buy really good tyres for £40-50 still.

The softer compound you go for, the shorter the lifespan, so £80 each might be two pairs a year at £320 total.

tthew

‘Aint no pockets in shrouds. Get them bought.

DezB
    Free Member

If only they lasted as long as an £80 car tyre, then they might be worth that much. (yeah, yeah I know you STWers have £400 winter tyres, but we’re not all rich freaks on here)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I’ve found my dream tyre, but…’ is closed to new replies.