Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • I've gone and done it – Fixie MTB content! Share your experiences
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63431433@N08/sets/72157627508288183/

First ride tonight, only about 10 miles of singletrack and old railway path….awesome fun!

It’s set up with 32×14 fixed with no back brake….I thought it might be a bit scary but actually it’s not, it actually felt strangely in control, a feeling of one-ness!

Rear wheel built woth a Surly hub on a Mavic XC disc rim courtesy of SidewaysTim….very nice!

Anyone else done it? What do you think??

tazzymtb

there are chaps that ride a fixie mtb in the peakdistrict 😯

Rorschach
    Free Member

It feels like youre going to have your feet ripped off at any moment,it takes ages to learn to E.T (bunny hop whilst pedaling),its scary as hell down anything steep….Its ACE!! For maximum points make sure you do it on a cx bike then ride trail centres 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

looks lovely – especially the clean bars.

I don;t think i’ve got any photos of mone but i ran my rigid scandal 29er no rear brake 32:18 through the winter.

was surprisingly easy on tech stuff – even managed some really steep stuff. think i need to dig it the wheel out again.

think it would be much better with a brake though. cheap fixed disc hubs anyone??

kayak23

Respect for trying. I’m currently enjoying a fixed charge plug but cant see myself trying Mtb fixed. Fell off yesterday in front of a load of teenagers trying endo crankflips on a playground. Ripped my jeans up to my knee getting them caught in the chainring. Not too cool…..
    Are you clipped in? (Can’t view photo)

rOcKeTdOg

Fixie mtb, now there’s an idea!

velocipede
    Free Member

kayak23 = oh yeah, most definitely clipped in! 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://www.63xc.com/kenei/kensing.htm

Ken Eichstaedt rode a lot of the west highland way including the Devils Staircase on one.

P20

He didn’t last the full ride, but he was riding fixed in Peak District

DSCF8081 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

thepodge
    Free Member

this is something I’ve been meaning to try for ages I just don’t have a compatible frame.

donsimon
    Free Member

Bonkers.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d love to have a go, but i don’t think i could live with one. Simon1974 seems to do very well on his in the Peak.

MrSparkle

That photo of the guy on the Voodoo is reversed innit?

richpips is doing the 3 peaks fixed, btw, as Samuri did a few years ago.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Am I showing my ignorance when I ask why the drivechain is on the left in P20’s pic? Discourage rear brake fitment?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

you can fit the drive train in reverse on a fixie. Its 100% possible, its even possible to do it ‘properly’.

Everyone should give fixed mtb a go, it makes you realise how much of a wimp you are being on a geared/suspended/freewheeling bike. The feeling of pedals smashing on stuff is disconcerting in a good kind of way. And skidding your arse down steep inclines is brilliant fun and veyr sketchy.

tazzymtb

Am I showing my ignorance when I ask why the drivechain is on the left in P20’s pic

rear cog is bolted to the rotor mounts on the hub

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I guessed that you can, just wondered why, now you mention it tazzymtb I remember stumbling across rotor mount sprockets when looking at sites for a singlespeed tensioner. I won’t ask why you wouldn’t just flip the wheel so it was “normal” and have a freewheel on the other side for when you flipped it back 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

one step closer to a unicycle

velocipede
    Free Member

I like the look of the “reversed” drivetrain…mmmm, might have to try that!!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

That’s not mountain biking, that’s just mincing about trying desperately to be niche.

P20

Its just a cog mounted on disc mounts

I saw a fixie with the chain on the left in the solo tent before SITS, possibly that same one.
    Is there any advantage, or is it just Because I Can ?
    Do the pedals ever fall off ? There’s a reason why they are handed. Or is it a tandem front chainset ?

shinsplints

His wheels are the wrong size.

thepodge
    Free Member

I used to run my chain on the left on my bmx but that was because I grind on the right

handyman
    Free Member

rode a pompy fixed for about a year, then had my knee cartilage repaired discovered couldnt ride the fixie again it hurt too much as everytime i slowed myself down using the pedals the force caused too much strain on the knee so it had to go

angryratio
    Free Member

After “having a go” at the pub on my mates fixie and putting my leg through his front wheel (i blame the stella) i will stay firmly in the freewheeling singlespeed niche area…

samuri
    Free Member

Is he? Bandwagon jumping tosser!

samuri
    Free Member

And for the OP, I’ve never ridden a fixie MTB but I have been riding a fixed cross bike offroad for about 3 years now. It’s not that hard, just keep pedalling. Dropoffs and jumps, just keep pedaling for the most part.

Rik
    Free Member

monkeyfudger – Member
    That’s not mountain biking, that’s just mincing about trying desperately to be niche.

+1

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve a fixed MTB, but it’s got skinny rubber on it at the moment. Might stick the big tyres back on it…

jools182
    Free Member

Load of nonsense

mocha
    Free Member

certainly focuses the mind – fixed CrossCheck here

69er
    Free Member

MrSparkle – Member
    That photo of the guy on the Voodoo is reversed innit?

Don’t think so, the front brake is still on the correct side…. you can do drive side left with a fixie.

And it is lots of fun, can’t wait for it to get proper muddy!

velocipede
    Free Member

I thought it might promote a mixed response….to many this is “madness” or even “stupid” or “pointless”…but as a way to inject a bit of fun and add a new angle to your riding, it’s “priceless”!! 🙂

tomlevell

I was “National Champ” /ahem/ back in 2006.
    The best bit was dropping people down the steep singletrack.
    Worst bi the flat out fireroad.
    That bike was a pair V brakes to aid controol and are far better than a single disc which is hilarious on steep in the mud when the front wheel lets go.

Disk fixed rear hubs though are very expensive altholugh Paul does one now so oneday I’ll get back on one.

It’s ace and stupid in = measures

Stupidest i did was left hand chsinset with flat pedals eithout switching the axles. Yes pedals fell off and 30mph plus downhills were leathal if you lost a foot

TheBrick
    Free Member

Every thread need like this need this link!

http://www.63xc.com/

No matter if you personally would like to ride a fixed mtb there are some excellent stories on the 63xc website.

BigJohn

The 2 big issues to get over are:
    1 – pedal strike. You see a rock in the way you know you are going to hit. All you need to do is put a quick skid in and you’ll be able to miss it.
    2 – steep downhills. The sort where you have your bum off the back of the saddle. This means your legs are not long enough to reach the bottom of the pedal stroke. Never mind – just lock up. There’s so little weight on your back wheel it’ll just happen. Try to get back on the saddle before pedalling again or you might get stuck behind it.

tomlevell

Or
    1. Just hit it it’s never as bad as you think it will be. Ok maybe not never…

Houns

That voodoo rider obviously is missing something in his life

tomlevell

This was my favourite one as the INbred is long so makes it stable ploughing through stuff and with the EBB you could have the cranks a bit higher too. (not me riding and the chain was about to fall off from a longish ride which with the EBB was a pain to retension on the trail)

Gotcha by tomlevell, on Flickr

And before SSUK06 “victory” stolen from simondbarnes

Must get a fixy (disk) wheel for the Simple soon.

Yummy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘I've gone and done it – Fixie MTB content! Share your experiences’ is closed to new replies.