Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • I've bought a stolen bike. Now what?
  • ScottChegg
    Free Member

Bizarre tale, but here goes.

I bought a cheapo bike as a commuter from eBay about 2 months ago. I’ve fixed it up and used it a few times. Today the Police came calling; they were there to seize the bike I bought on eBay as it was stolen.

However, they did not have any details (Make, model) nor frame number. So I sent them away. They were acting for another force and they asked me to speak to them. I called them and the case officer is not around until Wednesday. Great.

So I’ve contacted Fleabay to ask if I have to give up the bike, can I get a refund? They say it’s outside ‘buyer protection’ limits of 45 days and I can go whistle. Now Ebay have cheerfully passed on my details to Plod and are now shrugging their shoulders.

What can I do if the Police come back? Can I get a refund?

bencooper
    Free Member

No, you bought stolen property – you don’t get anything back.

binners

Have you still got the address details of the guy you bought it from?….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

project
    Free Member

When they come back, tell them the bikes been stolen.

AGAIN.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I didn’t add, I paid via Paypal

robj20
    Free Member

Start a paypal dispute and give all the details you have on the seller to the police.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’d expect them to prove it was indeed stolen with a frame number or photo’s from the original owner or something

Else I could pick a newly listed bike off of ebay report “my bike” as stolen, wait for it to sell, then point out the listing to the police and ask them to get it back for me. I’m sure this is not the case, but I’d still expect some proof from the police. I’d expect to know what was happening with regards the person that sold it to you as you are now a victim of their crime(s).

If you’ve put new bits on I’d swap them back to the state you purchased the bike in if you can.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

. . . you sure it wasn’t the seller and his mates in fancy dress police uniforms trying to retrieve the bike, that they mistakingly sold to you, before not having retrieved the kilo of coke they’d hidden down the seat tube . . . . .possible?

timc
    Free Member

sell it on ebay?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Start a paypal dispute and give all the details you have on the seller to the police.

I can’t start a dispute; it outside 45 days.

Ebay have given Plod the detail of the geezer I bought it from.

What Plod don’t seem to have is any detail tying the bike in my garage to one that was stolen.

I think it used to be called ‘proof’

zbonty

Once they provide proof, you’ll have to take the hit and give it back then pursue the seller for your money.

Once stolen, it remains stolen. Was not the seller’s to sell.

nealglover
    Free Member

I would be wanting some solid proof that it was stolen before handing it over to the police.

And if they can’t provide any, then you are the only one with proof of ownership, as you bought it off ebay and can prove it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

When they come back, tell them the bikes been stolen.

AGAIN.

Beaten to it. 😈

asterix
    Free Member

I think you are right to expect evidence that links the bike in your garage to the person claiming to be the rightful owner (e.g can he produce a receipt and a record of the frame number?). If not then tough…

give all the details you have on the seller to the police

yes – make it clear to the police you want them to pursue the seller for selling stolen goods / fraud

imnotverygood

Caveat emptor

Look on the bright side. Some bloke will get his stolen bike back. That’s good news surely?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I had a car stolen once. after about 6-7 weeks it was found by the police and I went to pick it up. Did feel quite sorry for the poor sod that had unwittingly bought it. I assume he was the forlorn looking fella staring out of the bedroom window as I drove off in ‘his’ new car.

The gist of it is that once proven that it’s the same bike as stolen from the original owner you’ll need to hand it back, any losses you’ve incurred will be down to you to try and recoup.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

any losses you’ve incurred will be down to you to try and recoup.

Yes.

And how would I do that?

asterix
    Free Member

well that’s the bit I put about pursuing the seller. It probably wont be easy or quick though 🙁

29erKeith
    Free Member

If the police\ebay\paypal will give you some details small claims?
    PITA!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

well that’s the bit I put about pursuing the seller. It probably wont be easy or quick though

In all honesty I doubt it will be fruitful. How much are you out of pocket? It might just be a case of learning from it and moving on if it’s not too great an amount of cash.

The other complication is that I believe that possession of stolen goods is still a criminal offence regardless of how you came to be in possession of them.

large418
    Free Member

Give the police the details of the seller – it may be another piece of the jigsaw they need to nail him/her for stealing/selling on stolen goods. Then go and visit the seller to request your money back (with some mates??)

Good luck

yunki
    Free Member

ride it like you stole it..?

Duffer
    Free Member

It might just be a case of learning from it and moving on

I’m not sure what lessons can be drawn from the situation; the buyer did nothing wrong, and there was no way of knowing it was stolen. However, i fear you may be right – chalk one up to experience and write it off as a bad job.

Best of luck.

hels
    Free Member

My car got stolen once. Was found dumped and covered in blood. Nice ! I didn’t ask too many questions. The Cops returned it that way so clearly no serious climb. Pretty gross tho.

But anyway, how much did you pay for the bike ?

iffoverload
    Free Member

if it is proven stolen, then Ebay and PP must be guilty of handling stolen goods.
    or is making commission on criminal activity legal 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

The other complication is that I believe that possession of stolen goods is still a criminal offence regardless of how you came to be in possession of them.

Not really.

It needs to be proven that you “know” or “believe” them to be stolen goods for it to be a criminal offence.

if it is proven stolen, then Ebay and PP must be guilty of handling stolen goods.

When were eBay or Paypal in possession of the stolen bike ?

ds3000
    Free Member

TuckerUK
    Free Member

So eBay had handled (as is facilitated the sale of) stolen goods?

Oops, beaten to it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Again…..

It needs to be proven that you “know” or “believe” them to be stolen goods for it to be a criminal offence.

tymbian
    Free Member

OP..don’t tell the police it’s been stolen again..especially after posting on a forum about what you should/ can do. There was a chap sentenced this week after asking/ posting on a forum about how to ‘ get off ‘ receiving points on his licence.

Oh..and it’s morally wrong.

chip
    Free Member

If the bike was insured and they have paid out, then the bike would be the property of said insurance company.
    Maybe they would sell you it cheap.

Also I would definitely look at finding out exactly where I stood legally as far as eBay is concerned.
    But at the end of the day if it was your bike that was stolen you would want it back and Rightly so.

riderideride
    Free Member

U lot lol

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Ebay couldn’t care less as long as they are earning out of it.

sbob
    Free Member

Duffer – Member

I’m not sure what lessons can be drawn from the situation; the buyer did nothing wrong, and there was no way of knowing it was stolen

Did the seller provide the original purchase receipt?
    💡

andywoods
    Free Member

i take it police have already got the guy who sold you it to you off ebay.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Yep, eBay have helped the Police fully, which is the right thing to do.

When it comes to helping me, they are a bit more reluctant. They claim the best bet is to approach my bank and use the Direct Debit indemnity to get my money back form Paypal.

That’s if they can prove I have a stolen bike. They need to do a bit more than say someone recognizes it from an advert.

jedimindtricks
    Free Member

Ebay couldn’t care less as long as they are earning out of it.

Hit the nail on the head there. They don’t give two flying Ducks about whether its stolen or not, as long as it sells, they make their 20% and they take no responsibility. I bought a stolen bike off ebay and paid via bank transfer, all of the details of the POS seller were false and ebay said nothing I could do because I didnt use PP…

I hate Ebay/Paypal with a passion and wish a hacker would go in to Ebay and ruin them..

Anyway, Rant over..

Its unlucky but it happens, you need to get hand written proof of sale even when buying off ebay, and get a photo of their ID and have the receipt signed etc etc.. This is the only thing the police said to me, get physical proof of sale.

poonprice
    Free Member

Long shot but you could try VISA or Mastercard and see if your covered for the purchase on your card. Its effectively a fraudulent transaction??

Sum
    Free Member

It looks like the OP used his bank account rather than a credit card however the advice to go speak with them and see if they can help is sound.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘I've bought a stolen bike. Now what?’ is closed to new replies.