Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • ITV 4 now, James Cracknell sport life story.
  • jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Looking forward to this all week. Guys incredible. Anyone else tuning in.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks, tuned in.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Thought he was dead

Markie
    Free Member

Cheers, brownie points for me after letting Mrs Markie know…

One for Mantastic:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4Vnc5VbJM[/video]

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Quite good that was. Man’s a motivated son of a gun.

teacake
    Free Member

I did a long bike ride with. Just me, him and my mate. he’s a very genuine guy and a total “unit”.

He was noticeably worried to chat with us at first due to his brain issues – he struggles to string words together at times, especially when public speaking. After a while though the banter was flowing and he was a good laugh.

He’s done well to recover from his injuries.

atlaz
    Free Member

People often talk about sportspeople being heroes or inspirational. I don’t consider someone who just works hard to be either of them but someone who overcomes significant odds to get themselves just back to normal then pushes on is both. I thought Cracknell was pretty exceptional before his injury but since then, he’s become an inspiration in terms what human willpower (and excellent medical care) can do.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I wish I’d watched this now, could never warm to the guy especially after that South Pole program felt the way the Doctor(3rd man) was treated was a bit crap. Sounds like Cracknell ma be a changed person!

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

atlaz – Couldn’t agree more. To be at the Duathlon Champs only 3 years after what happened is truly a great acheivment for what should have been a life ending injury.

spacemonkey

One can argue that his single-mindedness is what contributes to not only his inordinate athletic ability and powers of (post-accident) recovery, but also the way in which he comes across as brash and aloof. Love him or loathe him, you can’t help but be inspired by his determination.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was shocked by the state of him shortly before the accident. He could barely stand, they bathed him in ice to get his body temperature down. He struggled to push his bike on to the road. He set off into the dawn and was hit soon after.

I thought a lot of what Steve Redgrave said resonated. Largely that he was so driven that he did everything to the max, without keeping anything in reserve. Describing the polar trip, he was easily the strongest guy on the team, but trashed his feet to the point where he became a liability.

Still, a good programme and an inspiring tale.

Pigface
    Free Member

I think his brain injury may of started after getting KO’d by Kerry Walmsley in a charity boxing event. Brutal 😕

It’s on youtube

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Thought he was dead

without a helmet he would be……

Doh! what have i said….. 😕

rossi46
    Free Member

The mans an inspiration. And a lunatic at the same time, I guess that’s how he’s achieved everything he has! Good profile of the man was that…..

irc

He could barely stand, they bathed him in ice to get his body temperature down. He struggled to push his bike on to the road. He set off into the dawn and was hit soon after.

Exhausted rider sets off into low sun on a road with overtaking HGV traffic. Unwise?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Exhausted rider sets off into low sun on a road with overtaking HGV traffic. Unwise?

I’d say so. Difficult questions need asking of his own self determination to continue and those of his support team who let him go. His bike had some sort of Go Pro mounted to the bars, it would be interesting to see the footage prior to the accident.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Just watched now on catchup. Truly inspirational

Kryton57

Just watched it. Emotional and inspirational at the same time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ITV 4 now, James Cracknell sport life story.’ is closed to new replies.