Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Itunes advice please,
  • Rochey
    Free Member

Hi All

Simple question, when I upload me music to my iPhone/iPod I have seen the following option –

Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kdps AAC, if I do this it free up loads of space.

My question is “What does it do/mean”

DezB
    Free Member

Reduces the file size by reducing the sound quality (ie. compressing the file more). You might not notice the difference, but then again, you might not care.

CountZero

As Dez sez; if you have all your music at 256/320Kb, it automatically turns your music into a crappy lower quality version that’s a smaller file size to save space.
    For me that’s unacceptable, but if you only play music in the car, and listen through cheap ‘phones, like the original white ‘Buds, then you probably won’t notice a loss in quality, but if you use quality canalphones, or headphone, then you might well notice the drop-off.
    Your call, basically. 😀

kimbers

hijack but does anyone else find the latest itunes crap?

bigblackshed

kimbers – Member
    hijack but does anyone else find the latest itunes crap?

Yes.

Question: The Cloud. Why???????

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep drops the quality but most people won’t really be able to tell 😉 just get a bigger memory card if you want.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cloud principle is good however no idea how iTunes plays with it. Over at spotify now

richpips
    Free Member

Yep, I don’t get the cloud either.

You can get an iphone with 64GB of memory now, though I manage quite happily with 16GB.

It costs for >5GB cloud storage + data costs if you go over your phone’s contract usage on 3g+ etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well that looks like a fairly p*** poor implementation compared to the others about. Take a look at spotify premium with downloadable playlists which auto sync on wifi etc and more music than you own

CaptainSlow

iCloud and iTunes in the cloud are different things.

Everything you buy from iTunes is available in the cloud and this does not impact your free 5gb that you use for backups etc.

iTunes in the cloud costs £22 a year and means our entire library including non iTunes purchased music is available. Read up on it, it’s quite good.

The new iTunes is better than the old (IMO) but I still prefer WMP.

DezB
    Free Member

You can get an iphone with 64GB of memory now, though I manage quite happily with 16GB.

Whereas I could quite easily fill 3 of my 250GB iPod.
    Might look into the cloud stuff, might save on DVD backups!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

“iTunes in the Cloud” = iTunes Match, correct?

I quite like the new iTunes to be honest. I don’t remember the old one letting me use Airplay at the same time as the computer, which basically gives me multi-room media which is quite handy and the fact the interface on the Mac and the iPod are so similar is a good move too.

CaptainSlow

“iTunes in the Cloud” = iTunes Match, correct?

No, or at least that’s my understanding. iTunes in the cloud is what you have purchased in iTunes being available in the cloud (and is separate from your free 5GB allowance).

iTunes Match is a separate paid service that allows you to upload (or iTunes will match) all your non itunes music and store that in the cloud for you. It will also change the bit rate if the bitrate of the music you are uploading is of a lower quality than whatever itunes provides it at (256 DRM free IIRC).

iTunes Match is also separate from your iCloud storage

So based on that your opening statement is incorrect.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Itunes advice please,’ is closed to new replies.