• This topic has 55 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • It's World Book Day.
  • Northwind

wiggles – Member

People read books? …for fun?

“Whatcha reading for?”
    “So I don’t become a ****ing waffle waitress”

pondo

Ooo! Ooo! I know who said that! 😀

“Hey, you – come ‘ere!”

mogrim

Enjoying this at the moment:

wordnumb
    Free Member

Mmmmmm waffles.

wordnumb
    Free Member

If it ain’t about literacy, what is it for?

clanton
    Free Member

Currently reading “The Immortal Life of Henrietta lacks”. It is about the first successful cell cultures, taken from an impoverished black woman without consent. very well written and fascinating for the science and the ehtical questions it raises. Not as hard to read as it sounds!

jock-muttley

I read for pleasure and to turn my brain off rather than make me think so I prefer more ripping yarn type thrillers that don’t need a lot of brainpower to absorb.

Just finished this last night

Found that current events (Ukraine) sort of had a downer on my enjoyment of the book with me running out of sympathy for the “good guys”.

I’ve basically just re-read the whole of the “Jack Ryan” series for the umpteenth time up to this book which delayed the reading of my current. I’ve still yet to take the plunge into some of Clancy’s co-authored “Ryanverse” novels.

This is now my current;

I love the way Pratchett writes, his sense of humour appeals to me directly particularly the City Watch. This isn’t his best by far but it is very enjoyable about 1/3 of the way in.

and I will follow that with this;

Watched the film last Sunday (how the hell did I miss that in the cinemas?) and now need to dive into the book.

noteeth
    Free Member

Fugging ace.

Also fugging ace.

Every day is book day (BTW – nice Stumpjumper, Wordnumb 🙂 ).

rewski
    Free Member

crankboy
    Free Member

As a result of the thread on here i am rereading Ian Banks ” Surface Detail ” and loving it .

Crankbrat took “i took the moon for a walk” to nursery as his choice for his favorate book . he was asked on a couple of occasions over a few days and consistantly picked it.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Took-Moon-Walk-Carolyn-Curtis/dp/1841488038#reader_1841488038

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Got the Gormenghast Trilogy Folio Edition.

Read the stories a dozen times but have wanted this edition since I found out it existed.

Very lovely! No children’s sticky fingers !

aracer
    Free Member

I read for pleasure and to turn my brain off rather than make me think so I prefer more ripping yarn type thrillers that don’t need a lot of brainpower to absorb.

Nothing wrong with that IMHO (see my contribution above, though I do stretch to Sebastian Faulks, which is supposedly intellectual, but still does the same job). Got bored with Clancy a while ago – though to be fair I did read a lot of his stuff, and not suggesting there is anything wrong with it.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Just finished this:

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1447257103]An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth[/url]

Fascinating insight into what it takes to be an astronaut. But also full of stuff that’s applicable to everyday life as well.

bruk

Appropriate. Well not reading it yet, it arrives tomorrow for holiday reading for me then the wife.

May need something a bit lighter so will probably re read something like this

ourmaninthenorth

@bruk – chimp paradox is good. It’s pretty easy reading tbh. I’ve found it useful.

bruk

Good to hear OMITN, will also have to select a ‘classic’ at the airport. Trying to broaden my reading by choosing something different. Recently read On the Road and The Picture of Dorian Gray which were both pretty good. Catcher in The Rye was 1 I came to too late in life I think to truly enjoy it

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘It's World Book Day.’ is closed to new replies.