Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • It’s the Rolls-Royce of…..
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My mum was the Masserati of Mothers – she was always breaking down…

maccruiskeen

I’m the Rolls-Royce of parents.

You’re high maintenance and in the end your kids will have nothing to chauffeur it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Well played Mac, well played. 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

STW forum.

The RR of forums for Audi driving Woodstove fetishising middle aged IT managers who have, at least once in their life history, ridden a bike.

bigblackshed

Tools.

Bahco, Knipex, Proto, Gedore, Norbar, Wera.

Tech.

I’m an Apple fanboi. IME it works better than the competition for anyone who’s a Luddite.

Appliances.

Miele, Siemens, AEG, Numatic, Kitchenaid.

slowoldman

why is that plane face down and not on it’s side !!!

To show it off I imagine (it’s not my photo). I guess the blade is fully retracted.

RustySpanner

Possibly a couple of guitars made by Fuji-Gen in Japan.
    Perfect workmanship, top quality wood and well made, precision components.

Make Gibsons look like something knocked up in first year woodwork. 🙂

halifaxpete

Love a Purdy brush! Though these days I tend to buy either DDC or Crown Sythetic own brand jobbies, I find them almost as nice to use but at less than half the price.

avdave2

Photosonics 1PL Camera

Photosonics 1PL Intermittent Pin Registered 16mm Camera

These were wonderful bits of engineering, up to 500 pin registered frames a second and used to take quite a battering.

joshvegas
    Free Member

To show it off I imagine (it’s not my photo). I guess the blade is fully retracted.

Thats all pretty much a school tech thing. Paul Sellers has some interesting thoughts on the matter.

Basically

A well placed plane on a wooden surface is more protected than on its side when you knock it with another tool. The whole on its side thing comes from teaching idiot youth who plonk them on anything. I think Neilson and Isles are nice modernt rolls royces though.

I’m going to disagree with a few things. Surely it needs to be “handmade” in quality and heritage.

For example Telecaster. Great guitar would pick it over a gibson and its spendy enough. BUT. Leo Fender designed it to be mass produced using standard dimension timbers and using repeatable techniques for hand or foot operated machines (fretting). Gibsons… A bit shit way to heavy BUT have a prestige. How about PRS?

Knipex – is there heritage? Is possibly too hightech.

If they still made them i’d pick a KingDick adjustable but i don’t think they do and i double the quality is still there in what they do make so….

…My choice shall be Thor Hammers. The rolls royce of ****ing stuff hard but quietly with no sparks. I have three an inherited monster copper and rawhide they provide new rawhide but they merely provide the spec for the tool you require so you can get an engineer to turn you one. I also have a big panel beating one with replaceable heads and a new wee one can’t see much difference in quality.

Houns

The RR of wood chopping

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

epicyclo

Lexus, the RR of Toyotas.

SirHC

Bahco. The Rolls Royce of adjustable spanners (shifters I should say)

Knipex Plier Wrenches trump any adjustable spanner.

maycontainnuts

If they still made them i’d pick a KingDick adjustable but i don’t think they do and i double the quality is still there in what they do make so….

Well they’re the RR of podgers, still going strong.

dannybgoode

Wacom – the RR of drawing tablets

Recently I’ve discovered the Sony RX10 M4 may well be the RR of digital cameras – seriously.

The Campagnolo Big One is the RR of corkscrews.

fruitbat

I would nominate the Sykes-Pickavant Hydraulic Puller set and the Record No 36 vice (now painted since the photo):

puller 36

jjprestidge
    Free Member

For example Telecaster. Great guitar would pick it over a gibson and its spendy enough. BUT. Leo Fender designed it to be mass produced using standard dimension timbers and using repeatable techniques for hand or foot operated machines (fretting). Gibsons… A bit shit way to heavy BUT have a prestige. How about PRS?

Hmmm. We’ve got a 63 Telecaster in at the moment, but also have lots of Les Pauls of various vintages (nothing quite equivalent, though). I’d definitely take the Tele, irrespective of value.

PRS – they’re weirdly soulless – they should be great, but I’ve never played one that I really liked (and they’re a bit too muso for my tastes anyway).

JP

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘It’s the Rolls-Royce of…..’ is closed to new replies.