Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • It’s the Rolls-Royce of…..
  • maccruiskeen

Yes, yes they are. One of the worst.

Oh – well its a shame they don’t make vans then otherwise I could have been driving rollers all these years!

beanieripper
    Free Member

My dads mate has been a motor trader all his life and has a bit of a thing for rollers. He owned the last roller to come off the production line in Hull. Silver with a handpainted pink stripe on it, sold it to the middle east for export for a fortune. He always laughs at how badly thrown together they were..tales of odd sized screws and lumps of scrap wood inside door panels to hold them all together….still loves em though

beanieripper
    Free Member

Oh and Niwaki Japanese secateurs are the rolls royce, Felco’s are junk in comparison..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SaxonRider

I honestly don’t know. I used to have a number of nice things, but I either sold them when I left Canada, or they’ve been destroyed by my kids.

I have a substantial library, though, which contains some books that I consider to be exquisite – either because of their content, or their antiquity, or both.

What I feel really bad about is the fact that my dad really appreciated fine things like good tools, and my brother and I cleared them all out “for him” when we helped them move house in the late 90s. We hadn’t asked permission, and while he was a very forgiving man, I am pretty sure it really hurt him.

bob_summers

Disappointed, thought the OP was going to be a variation on the “give me a sentence with the word ‘contagious’ in it” joke

senorj

Duchy raspberry jam is the RR of jam⭐️.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Barbour jackets, I’ve got a 15 year old that’s still going strong.
    Spiewak jackets (as above)
    Marks n sparks jeans and wool jumpers
    Clark’s shoes.
    Swiss Army knives.
    Shimano anything, (SRAM IS SHOITE from experience)

My Purdie’s survived 3 houses decorated multiple time over 18 years until they became ‘not fit for purpose’. On the advice of the Leyland paints bird I know, I bought some of their budget numbers and they are just as good (so far) as the purdies

TiRed

Christy – towels

mechanicaldope

Fairy, liquids.

madmechanist
    Free Member

I have a few..

Snapon ratchets= so damn smooth
    Fisher space pen(bullet)= old but so smooth and reliable
    Dango wallets= built like tanks…
    Leatherman signal=..cant seem to break it…and it’s just the right tools..

They all top three class in there own right..making them the rr of there category..

bob_summers

If the definition is something which lasts forever, holds its value, has limited functionality, I nominate the Leica M2. Mine is from 1959, ex reporter’s camera so fairly battered, still use it regularly. Absolute pleasure to use, even just winding it on is satisfying compared to my other shooter, an 80s Olympus, which in comparison feels like it’s been greased with abrasive hand cleaner.
    Paired with the collapsible Elmar 50mm f/2.8 from the same year, my digital camera barely gets used.

epicyclo

Sunbeam bicycles started the quality fashion and predated RR, so maybe RR are the Sunbeam of horseless carriages…

FuzzyWuzzy

Funnily enough I’ve wondered a few times if there was a web-site to go and search for premium brands for different areas (premium based on quality rather than price). I’m fed up of deciding I want something, going to Amazon and getting confronted with 3000 variations of Chinese tat with fake reviews. I really don’t mind paying 5x as much for something built to last rather than made out of plastic flimsier than the packaging it came in.

rogermoore

From the Viz:

RM.

Sui
    Free Member

Cletus

Leatherman Wave – RR of multi-tools
    Wera – RR of screwdrivers
    Anusol – RR of haemorrhoid treatments

agreed with all that, plus Nipex for crunchy tightening things and wire stripping.

Also, RR whilst BMW owned and the Powertrains are BMW (though refined in the UK), the chassis are fully built in the UK. Mini is similar, but a lot of the powertrains are built in the UK as well!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Bahco. The Rolls Royce of adjustable spanners (shifters I should say)

moshimonster
    Free Member

Which items do you use in your life that are considered the quality standard by which all other similar items are judged?

The key words being “quality standard” and “similar items” rather than antiquated status symbols:-

iMac, iPhone, iPad
    Naim Audio
    Pioneer Kuro plasma TV (although obsolete today)
    Goretex
    Hulsta furniture
    Miele appliances
    Dualit Toaster
    Nespresso coffee machine (as far as capsule coffee machines go)
    Dyson cordless vac (even though the plastic feels like Airfix quality)
    Omega Speedmaster “moon watch” (definitely THE benchmark for watches worn on the moon!)
    DOXA Sub 300 diving watch
    Michelin tyres
    Bilstein dampers
    Royal Canin dog food (not that I actually eat it myself)
    Porsche 911 (but could also be classed as an antiquated status symbol)
    Tesla (tricky one this as build quality is a bit iffy, but they are certainly the benchmark EVs)

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Dyson are the Rolls-Royce of Hoovers 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Being a working class boy from the arse end of nowhere, I can afford nothing that is described as Rolls Royce.

But I’m a hop and a skip on a ferry from the Rolls Royce of mountain ridge walks.

redmex
    Free Member

Purdey she was the teenage boys favourite posh totty, only reason to watch the new avengers, she could fight and ride a motorbike and was fit

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

My Sennheiser headphones.

About the only “nice thing” I own these days, everything is destroyed by the kids or mrsm.

thepurist

Ripeur 2 safety gloves – the Rolls Royce of gloves for handling hawthorn, blackthorn, bramble, barbed wire and all manner of sharp pointy stabby stuff

stumpy01

Garmin – the RR of software glitches.

Charmin – the RR of bog roll.

slowoldman

Hmm, possibly my oboe (HowarthXL) or my ATC speakers, though users of other types would undoubtedly disagree.

Dickyboy

No mention of Nottinghams finest – Brough Superior motorcycles?

seadog101

When it comes to shelves

https://www.vitsoe.com/gb/606

For what they are, bent and painted steel, aluminium extruded lengths of mounting rails etc.. the price is mental. We have it in three different rooms in the house, and about to put some up in a fourth.

When you pay for it you think ‘what am I doing?’ Then when it arrives you think ‘I’m glad I paid that much’.

The best thing is actually having someone design it, and you can phone them up and talk about. I was worried about the flatness of the wall for my first installation, after I emailed, someone rang me, and we sorted the problem by speaking to each other! Amazing!

slowoldman

Oh well, designed by Dieter Rams. Take my money.

arrpee
    Free Member

I swither on these, but…

Macadamia nuts are the Rolls-Royce of nuts, and butter beans (good ones, cooked to creamy perfection in something flavoursome) are the Rolls-Royce of pulses.

I’d definitely give a different answer this time next week.

Edukator
    Free Member

Fender Telecaster. The first plank guitar and still a reference.

Cougar

Wera – RR of screwdrivers
    Anusol – RR of haemorrhoid treatments

Together, the RR of pile-drivers.

Fisher space pen(bullet)= old but so smooth and reliable

Good shout, that. Good customer service too, I have one that must be 20 years old now, it went faulty in that the outer casing came away from the barrel and basically fell apart when you took the cap off. Sent it back to Fischer and they actually went to the bother of repairing it. A replacement would have been good, but if it had sentimental value to me then that would have been really awesome.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

General Electric Aviation Engines.

😀

brownsauce
    Free Member

Hilti , the RR of power tools

🙂

redmex
    Free Member

Del Monte, Kellogs, Mcvities and Cadbury. Many try to copy and come close but not close enough. Almost forgot Lurpak

stuey
    Free Member

Crackerjack nut crackers.

BillMC

Ashley Iles chisels
    Magee tweed

slowoldman

Ah just remembered – chisels reminded me.

Mrs. SOM’s Lie-Nielsen No.1 bench plane. Like this one.

Lie-Nielsen No.1

Bunnyhop

English bone china tea sets.
    My dubarry boots are years old and ‘cos hubby looks after them for me, they’ll go on for many more.

Blowing my own trumpet here, but my curtains (I’m a professional soft furnisher) seem to last for years. Some customers have them still 20 years on.
    Not always a good thing though if one is trying to earn a living.
    I’ve managed to make some decent curtains and blinds in my time out of some pretty cheap awful fabrics. Customers were happy and that’s all that matters.

edhornby

why is that plane face down and not on it’s side !!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Later, when I was cleaning the paint brushes I was using, one of my kids asked me why I was taking such pains to clean brushes when they can be bought 3 for a quid in most discount shops.

“Not ones like these, son” I replied, “these are Purdys, they’re the Rolls-Royce of paintbrushes”

so you didn’t point out what a terrible attitude that is – to just throw stuff away and replace because it is cheap?

Finance guy on LBC said his daughters liked Primark because you could wear their stuff a couple of times and then throw it away.

Apparently it is now common to throw stuff out once you’ve been seen in it on social media 3 times.

And that’s ‘throw it away’ and not ‘take it to the charity shop’

A study of 2,000 people found that one in 10 would throw away an item after being pictured online with it three times. The survey also revealed one in five throw their clothes in the bin rather than give them to charity.

https://www.standard.co.uk/fashion/fast-fashion-clothing-throw-away-social-media-a3956231.html

this is the ‘young’ for whom climate change is suppossedly a big issue…

perchypanther
    Free Member

so you didn’t point out what a terrible attitude that is – to just throw stuff away and replace because it is cheap?

Of course I did.

I’m the Rolls-Royce of parents.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘It’s the Rolls-Royce of…..’ is closed to new replies.