Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • it's the hottest day of the year, so why am i thinking about a fatty
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

The new Specialized fatbike has now broke cover as well, something else to consider if its a sensible price.

Specialized Fatboy

trout
    Free Member

a couple of vids from yesterdays ride in Swaledale

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lowdwo2MrOo[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Z-v1rSuIE[/video]

singlecrack
    Free Member

My Fatty being out attention whore’d

Untitled by jerrypc69, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

trek looks, well “ordinary” if that’s possible with a fat bike

epicyclo

Sanny – Member
    Riding a double on my Beargrease. One by ten would have been a pain in the arse last weekend riding six of the Drumochter munros. I just don’t see the point of losing flexibility to save a bit of weight

That’s the curse of the fatbike. If you take it into interesting terrain off the track* it can quickly bugger your gears, so singlespeed is better, more reliable. But to gear it SS low enough to ride through soft surfaces, you’re too low geared to ride on harder surfaces, so therefore you need gears on a fatbike.

A problem I’ve solved with an 8 speed Alfine for snow and bog. Trouble is, all the new bikes are too wide for a hubgear.

A few examples of what I mean by interesting terrain is kludgy mud that bungs up wheels and derailleurs; following a skinny deer path through thick heather that tangles with anything sticking out; slushy snow that freezes solid on anything it’s touching when you stop; and I’m sure the other fatbike riders can add their examples.

maxray
    Free Member

Wow that Trek!! 😯

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘it's the hottest day of the year, so why am i thinking about a fatty’ is closed to new replies.