• This topic has 24 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by beej.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Its that time of year again – Winter gloves…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its about to get cold according to Metcheck, so go on then, recommend me some winter gloves. I've had 2 pairs of Endura Strikes which fit just lovely, but the liner has come undone in the wash so I can't get them on. AND the waterproof membrane idea is plain daft – you end up with dry hands surrounded by blocks of ice.
    I like the look of the Spesh Sub Zero gloves with seperate liner and outer shell – are they any good?
    What else is good?

thefallguy
    Free Member

spesh gloves are the best cold weather gloves i have tried but you need to take care with the outer gloves liner as it eventually comes out if you remove your hand while still wearing the inner- does that make sense?

they are warm tho, I suffer with really cold fingers during winter night rides and last winter these gloves were good even during the snow and ice.

radoggair
    Free Member

661 winter storms…………. nuff said

Well not really, like any winter gloves every downside is you miss the true feel and connection with your bike. Still, warm gloves and 2 winters old now

woodsman
    Free Member

The Gore Alp x waterproof, are pretty bad, bought them last year, very dissapointed. Going to have to buy new gloves this winter – again!

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Noticed some nice new dakine storm (I think)gortex gloves the other day. I have some sealskinz, but only use them if the temprature slips below -20 c as they are to thick and warm. Tried the dakine ones on much thinner and comfortable, I'll probabbly get a pair this winter. £55 mind…..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Used Specialized sub zeros last winter commuting and they are a great glove(s). One of the best things about them is their adaptability. In the really cold mornings you might need the outer and inner but only the inner for the ride home. I also bought some merino glove liners and this set up was perfect. No cold hands at all and rode in temperatures down to -10, ice forming on the bike, ice on my eyebrows, etc but my hands were still warm. Only issue I have is that they're not waterproof so thinking of buying some Tuff Bag mits this year for really wet commutes.

Tried 661 storms – not breathable at all, cuff too short, inner comes out when you take them off, not waterproof, but they are warm.

jonb
    Free Member

Same problem with 661, cuff too which means my hand get's cold when it's really baltic.

I use some snowboarding gloves which seem to be working fine.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Spesh Radiant here, superb gloves.

AndyP
    Free Member

second the radiants, but too warm for anything above freezing..! Otherwise Specialized Deflects are fine down to zero-ish.

Bimbler
    Free Member

For everything but extremely cold weather (and rain too I guess) Gore windstopper gloves are great, you can also buy undergloves for when it's really cold.

Ben_Haworth

I prefer Windstopper gloves too. Can't get on with chunky waterproof jobbers.

matt_outandabout

I have to say my Endura Strikes are not great – same as OP, the liner will not stay put in them at all. In wet weather they work well, only a wee dribble on two fingers…(!) Not sure many gloves would be great though. I am finding myself using my extremeties base layer gloves and extremeties windstopper gloves more…

MoreCashThanDash

You've just missed the Aldi winter cycling gloves – not the most breathable but worked a treat throughout the unexpectedly cold and snowy conditions last winter – not bad for a fiver or whatever they were!

allthepies
    Free Member

Lidl have winter gloves in stores tomorrow.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I've got some Spesh Sub-Zeros. It rarely gets cold enough to wear them,they are warm. Had them for seven years now and they're as good as ever. Never washed 'em thogh..

cullen-bay
    Free Member

sealskins gloves seem to be made for people with immensly small fingers… i used a set last winter, didnt hate them too much, but I've gone to try them and i dont know how on earth I'll be able to control the handlebars with them. seemed tight on me when I was a year younger, now their impossible.

I shouldnt have to buy XL, maybe XXL gloves aged 15. 🙂

robarnold
    Free Member

Spesh Deflects, still great feel through the grips and levers, ulna nerve padding included, anything else is too warm. If it gets mega cold/wet, I consider wearing a pair of surgical gloves underneath but rarely does it get that bad

takisawa2

Aldi neoprene's. Superb.
    And cheap.

Northwind

I shall be wearing my old motorbike gloves again, I've not found a pushbike glove that actually keeps me warm once winter really arrives. The motorbike ones give precisely no feel whatsoever, but then again neither does any other glove once my fingers stop working. I've got an old pair of Specialized Subzeros which do me for commuting though since it's only 3 miles.

0091paddy
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

I used these for approx 4yrs along with a merino liner but they are dropping to pieces now:

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/899-230119

0091paddy- those are roadie gloves?

Think I will try something like Spesh (Radiant etc) next partly due to their rep for getting most of the basics throughout their range right I guess.

Edit: Ah, bikeradar review not good for feel.

Thanks for the heads up on Deflects (http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/gloves/product/deflect-09-10668)

hora
    Free Member

Gore bikewear Mistral III 🙂

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Hi Mr P.. it's Matt, how you doing?

Huxley555
    Free Member
    beej

Depends on how cold your hands get. 661 storms never kept me warm (and this is only down to about -3C). Now use the thickest sealskin ones, much better. Still use a merino liner if really cold, but was toasty on the SPAM winter challenge that was about -10C at times. Most people would find this too hot but it's great for me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Its that time of year again – Winter gloves…’ is closed to new replies.