Viewing 36 posts - 1,081 through 1,116 (of 1,116 total)
  • It’s Premium Bonds draw day.
  • Premier Icon oceanskipper

Nothing, not a jot in the 10 years I’ve had them. Well they’re not actually mine they belong to no 2 Skipperlet. Total waste of time.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Another £25 this month – so that’s £75 in four month for me.

Premier Icon hungrymonkey
    Free Member

£525 for me this month…

Handy, as I just got to the alps and my van has broken down. Would have been much more stoked if it immediately wasn’t going to be spent fixing the van for the 5th time this year 😭

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

5th time this year

That’s VW quality for ya…. 😉

What’s worst with it now ?

Premier Icon Nick

£150, hovering at around 1% return so far this year.

Free Member

Bloody veedubs…

No idea, waiting on diagnostics 🙁

Free Member

Bloody veedubs…

No idea, waiting on diagnostics 🙁

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

How quick or slowly do we think they will respond to putting the average return rate up as inflation increases?

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

How quick or slowly do we think they will respond to putting the average return rate up as inflation increases?

If I was them, not at all. Government-backed bonds are probably the safest investment around, getting any interest on safe money is a bonus given the potential for a market crash any day now.

IANAEcon.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Also not an economist – but my thoughts are in their position, they can put the rate straight back down again if there is a crash, unlike any fixed for 3 years ISA or similar savings account.
    If people are being cautious with their money and waiting and saving to weather an upcoming storm, then having it in the government coffers to use would seem like a good idea.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

£25 for me 😎

Premier Icon thepurist

Thanks for the reminder – 3 x 25 for me 😀 Almost enough for a tank of petrol…

Premier Icon ElShalimo

for a moped?

😜

Premier Icon BillMC

25, the first in months

Premier Icon retrorick

£25, better than nothing.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

£25 for my daughter.

Wife is checking mine, but the crappy website is battling her!

Premier Icon jimster01
    Free Member

Woohoo, another £25 this month, that’s £75 in 2, not earth shattering but a step in the right direction.

Premier Icon MrSparkle
    Free Member

£25

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Wife is checking mine, but the crappy website is battling her!

Yeah the site is being a right old madam today – it’s the new authentication step that seems to be spamming up.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Another 25 quid. But given I drew mine down quite significantly I’m ok with that

Premier Icon Mowgli
    Free Member

£25, and £75 last month 🙂

Yeah, website is terrible now – not just the 2 factor nonsense but just moving between pages takes an age.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

£50 after all that.

Premier Icon Kryton57

£50. Should pay for an extra use of the shower this week. :-/

Premier Icon ElShalimo

@johndoh – just use the App

Premier Icon RichBowman

Lol – nothing in ~ 40 years. To be fair, I think I’ve only got £10 worth of bonds 😂

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Only just seen this thread, was about to post asking about Premium Bonds to be fair…

Just in the process of selling a load of toys (car, motorbikes etc.) to raise in the region of £50k to go towards an impending house move… Sold one this morning, so £14k richer already, reckon I’ll have the rest within 2-3 weeks. I get 0.5% interest on the first £10k in my instant access savings account, bugger all thereafter. It is likely to be 4-6 months til I actually need the money (but owing to markets, I’m better off selling now than when I actually need it), so been considering sticking the cash in premium bonds…

Is it instantly accessible if I need to get hold basically?

My Dad reckoned he did the same back in the 90’s when he sold our house and we moved in with my stepmother, maxed out what he could have and he said he was taking home anywhere between £100 and £750 a month (the £750 was only one month, but he reckoned it averaged out about £250 a month over the course of a year). Maybe he was especially lucky, but given I can’t risk investing the cash long term, but I want a short term return on it, Premium Bonds do look like a good option…

Thoughts/advice…?

Premier Icon doomanic

It’s a lottery. Albeit one where you retain your original stake. I was in a similar situation to you so figured I had nothing to lose. I won absolutely nothing in the time I had money “invested” and i’m clearly not alone.

Nothing, not a jot in the 10 years I’ve had them.

YMMV though.

Premier Icon doomanic

Chase Bank are offering 1.5% instant access.

Premier Icon retrorick

As Doomanic suggests, chase savings account for the guaranteed 1.5% monthly win. Premium bonds for the monthly suspense after the cash has earnt nothing for the first month invested with ns&I.

Premier Icon Kryton57

Although NS&I income bonds are now 1.2% and tax free if thats an issue for you.

Premier Icon zippykona

£50 for me and £50 for Mrs zip.
    Would have earnt more with the money in chase.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

The only white envelope that dropped through my door this morning, was one from British gas telling me my bill was going up.

😆

Premier Icon Caher

£25

Premier Icon joelowden

£25…..

Premier Icon prian
    Free Member

£25 for me this month… Was hoping for a repeat of last months £150!

Premier Icon thelawman
    Free Member

£25 for me
    £50 for Mrs L
    Still not enough to retire, by some considerable margin

Viewing 36 posts - 1,081 through 1,116 (of 1,116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.