Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,743 total)
  • It’s Premium Bonds draw day.
  • zippykona

Zip nil – Mrs Zip £25.
    I don’t appear to be any good at premiumbondsing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

2*25 here for Jan

thepurist

First month in the game for me… nada, rien, zippo, not a sausage.

Kryton57

£25 win in December for me….

olly2097
    Free Member

£3400 now for over 3 years. Nowt. Ever. I’ll keep adding.

ElShalimo

I’m intrigued by them but can someone explain why they are so popular?
    I’ve read that there is over £70 billion invested in them but the odds of winning anything are quite low and they do not yield interest.
    As others have said, they’ve won bugger all over many years and when you take inflation into account the amount invested is worth less and less as time goes by.

Kryton57

They are tax free as are the winnings, and easy to manage / forget. 10 x the amount I have in Bonds in todays high interest account attracts slightly I more gain annually in interest than I’ve received but I’d have to pay income tax on that interest gain, which actually negates the difference.

And of course there is the “lure” of a decent sized win.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“As others have said, they’ve won bugger all over many years and when you take inflation into account the amount invested is worth less and less as time goes by.”

All relevent to how much you have invested.

Mines kept up with a decent savings account over the years and I don’t have to move it around each year filll out paperwork and keep on top of the admin to ensure it does so.

ElShalimo

@Kryton – I get that but with the new personal savings allowance you’d have to be earning more than £500 interest per annum to benefit from the non-taxable bit (assuming 40% tax payer). So maybe 2% rate on £25k?
    Maybe it’s just the thrill of the draw?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Zilch here.

bungle

£50 since birth, £40k for 3 months during house upgrade a few years back: nowt, nada, zilch

Kryton57

new personal savings allowance

I didn’t know about that, my Accountant deals with my affairs 😀

For me personally – an accountant notwithstanding – its not having to declare/administer the income and a chance of the win I guess. Its simple for me to have a DD setup and elect for winnings to be re-invested as Bonds, so I can forget about the account and leave it for a rainy day at some point in the future – final mortgage balance, kids into uni that kind of thing.

thepurist

I don’t think many people use them as their sole means of saving, but as part of a mixed investment portfolio they make sense. If you look at the big Jan prize winners most have holdings of tens of thousands and that’s not the sort of sum you’d leave if it wasn’t working for you. They’re low risk, quick access, typical yield on a par with similar instant access savings accounts but potential yield much higher.

timbog160

Purist you’re spot on – I treat them as my emergency fund esp now you can withdraw them reasonably quickly on line. If I just had the money in a ‘normal’ savings account I’d be too tempted to spend it on another new bike!

ElShalimo

Thanks for the explanation

longwayup
    Free Member

£25 win on £101 investment here.

Guess I’m pretty lucky as I’ve had a decent 7% return with a win each month when I had 10k invested.

zippykona

25 big beautiful pounds.
    My duck is broken .

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

2/3rds of FA here. on £5k invested for a few months, I might write a stern letter to someone.

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks for heads up…3 x 25 in feb. I think I m averaging 1.5% pa tax free so q happy. It’s a savings pot for a house purchase so needs to be low risk.

zippykona

Me …nothing
    Mrs Zip …nothing.Building society interest is winning at the moment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

25 quid for us

That’s 100 in the last 6 months. It’s on par with the bank

Caher

Zilch. And I moved it out if a poor paying ISA.

TheGingerOne

3 x £25 this month 🙂

thepurist

A million quid less than the top prize for me

poolman
    Free Member

Just 1 x 25 today, tho I did see someone won 10k on a 60 quid holding

birky
    Free Member

Nothing. Again.

ElShalimo

Any big winners today?

mashr

Not yet, their email system must just be a bit slow today

Vader
    Free Member

just logged on, it says next results 2 april. Tomorrow

edd

Yeah, it’s the second working day of the month that they release results.

Vader
    Free Member

Anyone met Agent Million??

thepurist

They’ve got April’s big winners list up already.  One that pleased me was a 5K winner from a £5 holding, held since the 70s.

the-muffin-man

Now you can invest from £25.00 I’ve just started doing these instead of the Lottery. I see it as gambling without losing my stake.

I’ll probably never win anything at least I’m not losing! 🙂

bear-uk
    Free Member

The wife has the full 50k’s worth and gets 2 to 3 £25 wins a month plus she’s won 1k recently.
    Recon its about time I buy some as I have non at the mo. I enjoy the fun of Peer to peer lending giving me around 12% per annum.

finbar
    Free Member

Bear-UK, which platform(s) are you using for P2P? I got 13.5% return on a grand at Ratesetter inclusive of a £100 sign-up bonus offer, but 12% – if it’s not based on bonuses – is mad.

ElShalimo

If you win, even just £25, do they email you?
    Or do you need to check online?

andyr
    Free Member

They email you. Just checked the big winners list and I’m not on it. It’s sooooo unfair.

zippykona

Me nothing  Mrs Zip nothing.

cogglepin

Me and the wife just got £25 win each.

trail_rat
    Free Member

25 for me

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,743 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.