Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • It’s one of them ‘Just Giving’ threads. 25 mile offroad cycle race for my 9 year
  • weeksy

http://www.comptonpreschool.co.uk/bike/

My boy has decided he wants to do something to help out with people who’ve been affected by cancer, having lost both of his grandads to the disease. There’s a 25 mile off-road race/ride organised by his local school, he’s done the short kids version before, but not a 25 miler off-road of this distance. It will be tough with several climbs from the bottom to the top of the Ridgeway.

But more importantly is the fact that all of this was his own decision, “Daddy, i’d like to help people and cure cancer”… Who am i to refuse an offer/request like that.

It will be on the weekend of the 14th of July and if anyone else is entering we’ll be more than happy to either ride with you or just accept your support.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/steve-weeks3?newPage=True

As i said, it’s one of them ‘Just Giving’ things too and the page link is above.

You know what to do should you wish 🙂

All donations go directly to cancer research UK. I will of course be paying the entry for him and myself out of my own money, not out of your donations.

Cheers for now

scaredypants

Are you going to ride & try to stay with him weeksy? – I heard he’s responsible for your best showings on zwift 😉

weeksy

Are you going to ride & try to stay with him weeksy?

This was a minor bit of a contention for me when he suggested it… I’d planned on this ‘race’ being one of my super speedy days as i did OK there a couple of years ago with a Top5 finish… I was wanting to enter it and push to see what i could do.

But i can’t resist my little man…. So yes i’m doing it at his pace… Although i bet on the first hill he goes nuts and makes us all go nuts staying with him 🙂 After that…. Hmmmm 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

Although i bet on the first hill he goes nuts and makes us all go nuts staying with him

If he attacks first then it’s game on!

DezB
    Free Member

“The Compton Charity Cycle Ride is a <b>Non-Competitive Event”</b>

Go weeksy! Show those kids who’s boss 😆

weeksy

Go weeksy! Show those kids who’s boss

When there’s a big bunch of locals riding who often ride together, it soon gets competitive 🙂

Not this year though, this one will all be about completing the ride rather than the how quickly. 🙂

weeksy

Thought i’d use this thread to put in a few updates over the course of the next months in the lead up to the race.

My lad is VERY excited that people have sponsored him, he was absolutely in shock ! Of course he now realises there’s no going back, he’s riding it and that’s the end of it.

So he wanted to go out riding today, first preparation ride 🙂

We did a hilly start and some technical downhill then finally a long flat section down to the haybales, some Haribo and climbing and then the last effort with 3 small hills to finish the ride. 14.8km done and he enjoyed himself. We didn’t go too crazy and just took it nice.

Happy lad 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25ai4sT]2018-04-25_05-37-03[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

As part of his training plan, he’s doing the Southern XC race at Checkendon on Sunday.

We’ve done a few Southerns before.

http://my1.raceresult.com/89355/participants?lang=en#0_10BC33

Wow… that’s a massive field for my lads race.. loads of them ! quite shocked actually. Good news though as he should get a better race out of it than some he raced in which after 2 laps was massive gaps everywhere.

53 in his race… only 30 odd in mine !

IHN

Good lad, a bit of sponsorship on it’s way

weeksy

Thanks tonnes 😀

weeksy

James did an XC race today, tough race for him as he’s in the U12’s category, so nearly 3 years out of his actual age for the fast guys.

He got 29th our of 40 in the race and worked hard. We’ll be taking a few days off now as he did 70 lengths of a 25m pool yesterday again for cancer research via a Swimathon.

Once the trails dry out again later this week, we’ll get back out for a decent few miles

weeksy

Training ride tomorrow and we have persuaded the wife to come out too. Pace won’t be high, but will because great ride!

weeksy

Today was a 18 mile test. Hilly one with my lad. He really struggled early on but found his legs in the 2nd half of the road and was sprinting the hills at the end.

1 week today for his big ride.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/steve-weeks3?newPage=True

2018-07-07_10-07-25 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode
    VFD 710, undefined@3.6 mm, f2.0, 1/808s, ISO50

mark d
    Free Member

Hi Weeksy

Ive just found this thread and thought I’d enter my little girl into it as we also like raising money for Cancer Research etc, the entry form though states it’s age 16 and up.

Is there a shorter kids ride?

Mark

weeksy

There used to be yes, this year they’ve not done a kid’s one mate.

Due to the changing of rules, me and my boy are doing the ride at 8am instead on same day.

senorj

Go on Young Weeksy!

Donated & a bump. 🙂

weeksy

Fantastic, many many thanks to all who’ve donated. He’s exceptionally proud of all he’s raised and i’m sure when he has moments of darkness next Saturday climbing back up the Ridgeway to the top again, he’ll think of all of these donations and they’ll push him along… 🙂

weeksy

https://www.strava.com/activities/1701427174

Completed it. Hot day but he did great!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘It’s one of them ‘Just Giving’ threads. 25 mile offroad cycle race for my 9 year’ is closed to new replies.