Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • It’s never happened to me before – honest. Failure to remove tyres.
  • Wally

Any suggestions?
    I stopped as I was about to lever the tyre away from the carbon rim with a screwdriver.
    WTB vigilante.

scotroutes

Wheel flat on the ground, step on the tyre bead.

tomhoward

Proper tyre levers?

Park TL5C, for example

bikerevivesheffield

Boiling water on bead works every time on this absolute bastard tyres

simondbarnes

I knew this would be about WTB before I clicked to open the thread!

Proper tyre levers?

Park TL5C, for example

To use a tyre lever, first you have to break the bead seal.
    I do as scotroutes says although I’ll try the boiling water next time 🙂

fossy

Pedros levers.

bikerevivesheffield

Boiling water is amazing at making the tyre more supple and lubing it just enough to break the bead, NEVER failed me

simondbarnes

Pedros levers.

To be able to use a tyre lever, first you need to be able to break the bead seal 🙂

spooky_b329

Hold the bead stretched over the rim at the valve, whilst running your other hand around pushing the rest of the bead into the centre of the rim.

Just got a bike with WTB STi30 wheels and Maxxis tyres. Just took the inner tubes out and re-fitted the tyres without using any tyre levers 🙂 That combo must be a bit baggy as I’ve other makes of rim and tyre that are tighter…although they went back up tubeless using a normal track pump and no swearing!

BearBack
    Free Member

Edge of a picnic table/workbench and the heel of your hand. Let’s you move it further than your foot on the floor.

footflaps

I stopped as I was about to lever the tyre away from the carbon rim with a screwdriver.

Amateur, I ripped one off with a pair of molegrips then cut the bead with a Stanley knife! This was after putting a screwdriver through the side wall trying to break the tubeless seal. Brand new never ridden tyre as well, just wanted to change it for a GP5000…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jGMTy5]Mother of god tight tyres[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jGHyJW]Mother of god tight tyres[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

welshfarmer91
    Free Member

I’ve put mine in the vice before now, not a lot of help if you’re out on the trail I know.

sheck

I have a plastic bin in the garage. I take the swing lid off it and rest the wheel spokes on the edge of the bin. I can then use all my weight to drive down and break the bead seal and push the tyre into the central channel

sweaman2
    Free Member

No suggestions just sympathy. Sweamrs had a pair of WTB on Nobl carbon rims (I think they might be generic LB copies in Canada). Despite 2 grown men heaving on the tire we couldn’t break the seal so ended up using wire cutters and snips to cut the tire away…..

BadlyWiredDog

Cushcore does a(n over-priced) tyre lever designed to help you get enough oomph to remove beads held on by their inserts, works well. As does standing on the bead, sometimes – don’t ask how I know, but the initials WTB might figure 😉

Bead Dropper

docrobster

I have found garden furniture useful for this. I lay the rim on a wooden block so it’s flat then pop the bottom of a metal garden chair leg next to the bead and lean on it. The chair leg has smooth plastic insert so no damage gets done. Rotate the wheel and repeat every few inches till enough bead is off to carry on by hand.
    And this is quite a good tool too:
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/bike-tyre-lever/_/R-p-300646
    Although I’m on my second as snapped the first!

dangeourbrain

I’ve no method to add beyond those mentioned above but I just thought I’d chime in with my own observation that the tyre rim combo issue is also very unpredictable.

I’ve a pair of vitoria tyres mounted on a wtb kom and a stans flow rim. Absolutely utterly the worst tyres I’ve ever mounted on both rims.
    Identical tyres did however fit and remove perfectly acceptably on a pair consisting of stans arch and flow.
    The reverse is true of the shortys I swapped them about with so now neither plays nicely.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I see your issue Footflaps, you have a proprietory vision 705c wheel.

Rims so tight the tyre shed the rubber round the bead before it would let go.

Not that it will help because bead stuck issue.. but the pedros levers are shite in comparison to the might schwalbe flat levers.

easily
    Free Member

Bring the wheel into a warm room indoors, have a cup of tea then try again. If I try to do my current set up outside or in the garage on a cold day I have no chance, but in a warm room it’s much easier.

The laying the wheel flat then stepping on the bead works as well.

Flaperon

Hairdryer* on tyre to soften the rubber works for me.

* not a heat gun. Oops.

dangeourbrain

* not a heat gun. Oops.

I’m pretty sure that would get the beads off the rim quite effectively.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You haven’t used gorilla tape as tubeless tape have you, it loves to bond to the tyre bead, especially if you ride anywhere warm

Wally

boiling water and vice worked really well.
    Obviously I carry both on trails so tyre is off to car boot sale ASAP.

walleater

Removing tires from these rims was reasonably easy….with a Dremel to cut the bead, and then big bolt cutters to cut the rims in half so they fitted in the recycling bin easier…

https://www.notubes.com/hugo-52-wheelset-swhusd

luv2ride
    Free Member

I spent a while yesterday looking for this thread but failed. Lightly used Bonty XR3 Team Issue on a new Hunt Trail Wide front wheel. Tyre wouldn’t stay inflated without sealant, then decided I’d prefer the tyre on the rear anyway. Man, that tyre really didn’t want to come off!
    Still got sore thumbs but did get the bead in the middle channel with manual squeezing only, but took about 3 goes at about 20 mins each. Was doing it outside next to a garden table which sounds like I could’ve used to help break the seal – at least I know next time.
    This palaver was quickly followed by me losing a rotor bolt in the grass when swapping disc rotors between wheels (but found 20 minutes later with the help of a magnet).
    With one thing or another, a new cassette install and wheel, rotor and tyre swap that should’ve been an hour tops, took absolutely ages. New parts and unfamiliar parts probably meant I was being a bit too cautious when some brute force was required! Didn’t get to ride yesterday in the end…

Wally

Thread update – the tyre sold for £3 to a chap who makes ebikes from kits, really interesting chap who happened to be just wandering around the mid week CarBoot sale. I said “Can you guess why I am selling” and instantly he replied “they are very difficult to get off – in a more local dialect.” He was very happy and I was too. Not sure about the next owner though. His top tip was “Warranty is king with e-bikes” or words to that effect.

I did not sell on here because I did not want to pass on the grief.

bigphil

I’ve got a bike with WTB tyres (with tubes) & only way I can get them off is with a hairdryer – works every time for me (but not sure what I’d do out on the trail!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.