It's here, my new Niner

Home Forum Bike Forum It's here, my new Niner

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • It's here, my new Niner
  • Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

That’s the point where it stops being a bike and becomes an ornament. I couldn’t be arsed with a bike that I wasn’t going to ride, crash, fall off, and generally mistreat.

I can see your point and you’re not the first to mention it on this thread alone. However, if I’m going to be doing jumps/drops and the like, I’ve got other bikes I can do that on, ones that will handle it better and be much more fun to do it on. That’s not what this was built for, its purely for going fast round not massively technical XC courses – Dalby probably being the most technical it’ll see. That’s why its got a rigid fork and skinny tread-free tyres.

To be fair, it has been done as a bit of an exercise as to how pimp we could built it. The original spec had a set of KillHill brakes on it but apparently they just don’t work – so we went for the Clegs. I could have lost even more weight by having tubs rather than clinchers but these are pretty light and I’ve got the ease of changing tyres (well, easier than tubs).

I could SS it, but to be honest its a right faff to pull all the Di2 off it and i’ve already got a SS that I can race on.

It will be used, and it’ll be raced as hard as my fat arse can pedal it. And it does wheelie really well…just out of interest

Dyffers

Lovely bike. I have a Scandium air9, and built with mid-range 1×9 drivetrain, Stans 3.30s on Crests+Ralphs and a DT carbon rigid fork I got it down to 21.5lb (large size frame with pedals). A few less zeros on the creditcard than yours, but something I’m happy to take out in British conditions. 18lbs is mental.

he commented that the pedal thread felt like a bearing it was that well machined.

Tune must have sorted their manufacturing out then, their stuff used to be pretty crap sadly when it came to quality! 5 years ago I wasn’t aware of anyone using anything that hadn’t broken! I know their freehubs still crack, but hopefully the rest is alright!

My Tune cranks snapped from a crack starting at the pedal thread on the non driveside; 3 years of summer road use only. I don’t think I’d bother with them again, but they did look lovely.

If you need a spare lightly used hexangonal taper BB give me a shout! 🙄

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

Go on then, how much?

I’ll be honest, I don’t actually know. I’ll just keep taking in money until they tell me to stop.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

flange – Member

Go on then, how much?

I’ll be honest, I don’t actually know. I’ll just keep taking in money until they tell me to stop.

Superb 🙂 Nice one.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I’m not sure why some people think a bike needs to be ridden down black runs, through a swap and then submerged in a river to clean it to constitute an MTB. It’s clear this is a race bike so why would it need to be trashed through winter to be a real bike? I’m sure a lot of people have a winter and summer road bike, I know my decent road bike doesn’t go out in the wet – I know it could cope fine if it did but what’s the point of adding wear and tear to it when I have another more suitable bike for the conditions? I even rode my ss rigid MTB yesterday because I didn’t want to get my freshly cleaned fs bike dirty again so soon, sue me :p

pebblebeach

the amount of muppets I see pressing Di2/EPS buttons on stationary bikes in shops makes me cry

Why, its not going to break it.

Nice bike, I can understand why you want to keep it for dry days. Nothing wrong with that, I’ve got bikes I only use in the dry but thats because I have other bikes to use in the wet.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Ooooh, that is not my flava, but by ‘eck it is a nice bike.

Gis a go of your bike Mr.

tang

That is fantastic, lovely frames to ride. Mail the pics/build to Niner, ninerds will be spaffing worldwide!

rwc03

Been waiting for this, that is lovely!

bri-72

Di2 hadn’t heard of this until googled it. What are the benefits, strikes me as more potential issues than tried and tested cable setup. Struggling to see the point TBH. Interested in views.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Looks rubbish. Probably rides badly too. 😉

Stevelol

I totally don’t know what I’d do with that bike but have to admit it looks very striking in an understated sort of way and bloody nice!

fontmoss

^ 😀 @ Merak

Carpet needs a vacuum

M6TTF

Beautiful bike, looks like it does a hundred miles an hour.

fandango

Not the sort of thing I would ride, but hell, that not only looks amazing, but fast as well! Enjoy…

penglish1

Lovely lovely bike pal. Floats my boat. What bars have you got on it???? Can you buy the ki2 or is it a especially built by the shop.

warton

nice, very nice. But.

could they not have done a better job on the Di2 customisation? battery in the seat pin, controller recessed into the stem?

apart from that, lovely!

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

Warton

We did speak about routing the cables inside the frame but obviously this would involve drilling the frame which would invalidate the warranty. When it’s out of warranty then it could be on the cards.

Calfee do a seat post with the battery pack mounted inside but it’s mega money and would have ruined the Enve theme! Similar with the stem, and then there’s the additional cost again.

As it stood Rob had to splice an additional Di2 loom into the existing one to make it long enough to reach the rear mech – its frightening how few copper strands there are in those cables! So to run it inside the frame would have been a right pain in the arse, especially if things break (remember, there’s not many of these about so there’s every chance it might have some issues to start with). It’s actually pretty neat up close and I’ve still got the option to run other groupsets/ss should I want to.

As for reasons as to why it’s got Ki2 on it – well, just because I suppose. Yes, its more complicated and yes, there’s a higher chance of borking, but it’s pretty cool (I’ll get a video of the front mech self trimming) and I wanted it. So that’s what it comes down to really. I’m never going to win an Elite MTB race (hell, I’d settle for a win in Sport!), but there’s nothing to stop me having a nice bike to finish mid pack!

I suppose if you were a Pro racing every weekend, chucking your bike on a plane every five minutes, training on it round the clock then the ideal set up would be full XTR/XX so if and when stuff breaks you can easily replace it. Functional rather than form. But I’m not, I don’t so that’s why its got this.

The bars are a low rise Enve bar – they’re bloody light but pretty strong. I’ve got a set on my other bike (I might be selling them) and its had a season of abuse and they still look mint. Can’t praise the Enve stuff enough, worth every penny in my book.

Ki2 stuff – Not sure if you can still buy it as a complete kit from K-Edge. Lifecycles sourced the necessary Di2 stuff in the UK and had it shipped to the US for the conversion. This mainly involves the shifter pods and changing the rear cage to a long one so you can run a bigger cassette. Its all very nicely done, and they remove nearly all the dura ace branding too.

stunning, i’d be afraid to ride it and hang it in glass cabinet instead and drool over it

FuzzyWuzzy

they’re bloody light but pretty strong

I’d think I’d rather it was the other way around 😉

vorlich

Nice looking bike. 🙂

Apart from the Enve bits, which I’m sure are perfectly functional, but are adorned with that hideous logo.

instant hit

Keep going back to the pics and each time there is just a little bit more dribble running down my chin.
    Very nice.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Flange:

* how does it ride? (soft/hard etc)
    * any EBB creak?

You are responsible for me having an A9C crush. Thanks for that.

and are the Enve bars super stiff or do they have a little flex?

GaryLake

I’d flame you for having a bike you won’t ride in the mud, but I’m too busy treading water in my own drool…

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Nice project result. I like unusual stuff that people spend time on and it’s pretty unique. Verging on OCD/bonkers, in the nicest possible sense )

That’s not what this was built for, its purely for going fast round not massively technical XC courses – Dalby probably being the most technical it’ll see. That’s why its got a rigid fork and skinny tread-free tyres.

Fair play – Some bits of Dalby WC course on that would be more than many could handle.

I’d flame you for having a bike you won’t ride in the mud, but I’m too busy treading water in my own drool…

This, I love!

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

Merak +1 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘It's here, my new Niner’ is closed to new replies.