Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Its Getting Nippy! – Your Commuting Autumn/Winter Essentials?
  • v7fmp

Over the last day or two there has been a significant drop in air temp on my commute to work.

With it only going to get colder as we head towards winter, what are your commuting essentials? Ideally share the brand and model, rather than just ‘thermal pants’.

As its my first year as a commuter (e-commuter in fact, so i dont produce half as much body heat as riding a non-assist bike) I am using what MTB gear i have. Fox fire trousers, an older Fox waterproof jacket, 100% hydromatic gloves. Whilst it keeps me warm enough at the moment, i dont think it will all be up to the task or rather needs some support in the coming weeks/months.

Also, shoes, is it worth investing in something like a Shimano MW7 or just spend a few quid on some good waterproof socks?

Anywho.. please share you gear specs, plus any top tips to get through the darkest of winters!

alan1977
    Free Member

similar boat as you
    jsut bought hte mw7 too, will be wearing htem on the MTB and commute
    fire defend for cold days, got endura humveee zip offs for not quite so cold.. currently rocking a light long sleeve jersey and baselayer..
    got a nice dhb hoody which ive found plenty warm enough hte rest of the time, and a dayglo gillet
    i prsonally will need to get some proper gloves i think
    ive got a beany baselayer thing for under the helmet when it gets into low dsingle figures
    not sure how much jacket im goign to need, the dhb hoodie is semie waterproof.. ive got a softshell waterproof packed o nthe bike nad full guards

scaredypants

It’s cold hands for me

hand shields – not really the full-on pogie round my way but the neoprene things on my drop-bar commuter are way better than thick gloves

I’ve bought some of those “MX” hand-guards for the MTB, to see if they break the wind enough

matt_outandabout

I’m a bit of a wuss, but do find myself doing some commuting through the winter. One of my issues is it’s more downhill in the morning – I don’t get chance to warm up at all…

I find that core is easy enough – layers under a full windproof. I’ve an old luminous Altura waterproof jacket which is super snuggly and fits a full fleece below, if not just a normal windproof.

Legs I’ve got warm tights. I’ve been looking for some warm trousers to try too, but not found anything yet.

Under helmet buff or fleece hat, must cover the ears. Buff around neck if around zero or less.

I do now have MW5 boots – they need warm socks too – but are great.

I find hands are the hardest bit, I tend to go with a liner glove and outer windproof. I’ve even got thick Montane mountain gloves for proper cold.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Overshoes are great as well as decent socks

BenjiM

I say this every year, Northwave winter boots (Road ones! Not the MTB ones the cuff isn’t as good) And GripGrab Cycling Gaters. The gaters keep the water out no problem. Mudguards are a must and a decent set of tyres with puncture protection. Lights of course. Multiple buffs to keep the neck and head warm. Don’t bother with Rain Resist type tights, the proofing never lasts long. Good pair of merino socks or 2. A decent jacket to keep the water out with a neck cord of preferable to keep the chill out. Lobster mits when it gets to 0 and pogies if it’s really cold with some thinner gloves.

thepurist

I’d go for winter boots over waterproof socks, and MW5s/7s are a good bet, but as above you still need decent socks as there’s not a lot of insulation in the boot. You can go for more insulated boots but IMO that narrows their usability a bit too far.

I’m a big fan of Galibier kit for commuting – their deep winter gloves (https://www.galibier.cc/product/barrier-deep-winter-cycling-gloves/) are often recommended on here. the Mistral tights (https://www.galibier.cc/product/mistral-winter-bib-tights/) work for me down to around 2-3 degrees but I didn’t commute when there’s ice on the road, and their windproof base layer (https://www.galibier.cc/product/mistral-base-layer-windproof-cycling-jersey/) is simple but effective (but probably not for sustained hard efforts)

jeffl

Overshoes were a massive win for me. Oh and an ancient Aldi or Lidl softshell and associated cheap winter gloves.

zippykona

Proper boots will last over 10 years so a good investment.
    I have struggled to find riding trousers that go over lycra,are breathable and block the wind.
    Eventually gave up and commute in a pair of £12 Primark cargo trousers with elasticated ankles.
    Better than all the proper stuff I’ve tried.

TheBrick
    Free Member

For commuting mudguards, full ones ideally with a flap on the front are the single biggest thing for 4 season commuting. Feet still get a bit of splash but that is it. Can wear more normal clothing more often (if you want). As long as it is not raining can wearing “non wet weather bike clothing” as you will not be getting a wet arse / face. Keeps the bike cleaner. No brainer.

stumpy01

I don’t cycle commute, but would say for cold weather, overshoes are great at keeping the cold out of your feet as they keep the wind off.
    I am sure that expensive winter boots do as good/a better job but if they get wet, will they dry out in time for the next ride? Not sure. I imagine you can dry a pair of overshoes faster than boots & could even budget for a couple of pairs and alternate.

For cold mornings, I bought a Decathlon softshell a couple of years ago. It is very warm, reasonably breathable & good value for money. It’s also bright yellow, so a good commuter colour.

Decathlon Softshell

The website reckons it’s good down to 7deg. but I have worn it way colder than that & would say that it’s starting to get to warm around 7-8deg. No way I’d wear it, if it was 10deg & above. Currently reduced to £50. It comes up small, so size up. I’m normally a medium (~40″ chest) & ended up having to get an XL in this.

They do an extreme version which has a zip-in liner & built-in face buff.

jamiea
    Free Member

At the moment some thin AGU pad-less tights off of Planet X to go over bibs, when it gets a bit nippier some DHB thermal jobbies.

Up top a long sleeve ancient Icebreaker top, weight depending on how cold it is.

2 thickness of Endura gloves, depending on temps.

Cheap overshoes (they are really a disposable item, they wear so quickly) added to grotty really-should-have-been-binned-years-ago SPD shoes. Thickness of DHB Merino / Smartwool walking socks as temp dictates.

Merino is great, both socks and tops can last a whole week without stinking, the only daily wash being a pair of padded bibs.

Then the star of the whole ensemble, a Gore Windstopper softshell, I love that jacket; not prone to over-heating like a hard-shell and just water resistant enough to stave off light rain. I’ll probably wear it now everyday work-day until April. An old Pac-Lite jacket over the top in really big downpours.

Oh yeah, +1 on Buffs; one for the neck one for under the helmet, when colder I swap it out for a fleece hat.

fossy

Bib tights – I have a set that have windproof thighs – makes a big difference when really cold. A few softshell windproof jackets, unless it’s near freezing, then it’s a windproof thermal.

Overshoes or my MW7’s. Favourite overshoe is the BBB Hardware (BWS-04 now)

MoreCashThanDash

Winter boots, and size up to allow thicker socks. I have an ageing pair of Scott Heater boots refusing to die, and use silk mix ski socks from Aldi or Decathlon. Those skiers know how to keep their heads warm.

Heat is a really personal thing. Keep your head warm – plenty of under helmet options from Buffs to a full on Rapha winter hat that I found on ebay and is hotter than a hot thing.

Gloves are a subject of multiple threads every winter, at the coldest I use Galibiers warmest ones whose name I can remember.

If your outer layer is wind and waterproof, its just finding the right base layers yo go under – Decathlon ski base layers are cheaper than cycling ones.

Do not set off cold! Have a warm shower, warm drink, warm kit up on a radiator before you set off.

nickc

Mostly OK with normal clothes. Have a Gore pac-lite for rain, and a pair of Patagonia waterproof walking over-trouser for when it’s wet. They’re totally non breathable, but bombproof, and for my 4 miles I can put up with being a bit warmer (especially in the depths of winter) , commute is through a city so benefit a bit from the heat island effect – that’s what i tell myself, anyway! Proper full length mudguards are essential I think, they protect you so much, I can get away with a pair of trainers for “most” days. Hands suffer the most for me, I’m going to invest in some lobster mitts this year, last winter I couldn’t feel my fingers for most of the morning at work.

ton

i did 39 years cycle commuting prior to taking early retirement.

without a doubt full length mudguards and puncture proof tyres are the 2 most important thing for cycle commuting.

base layer with a fleece on top when dry cold.
    base layer and softshell when wet.
    base layer, fleece and hardshell when wet cold.

keela roadrunners for cold weather on the legs. topped with waterproof leggings in horrible weather.
    wool socks and warm waterproof boots and big flat pedals.

bloody hell, i miss my commutes. 20 miles a day without even trying.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Echoing Tons comments on the mudguards and puncture proof tyres, fixing a puncture on a January morning is beyond grim!

matt_outandabout

As well as full guards and good lights, I have a lot of 3m reflective tape on my bike, and the (brilliant) spoke reflector straws. A few comments from my colleagues who overtake me is the wheel straws really do stand out.

I’ve also use a single Thule pannier – takes seconds to throw stuff in, a moment to hook and unhook. Really makes life simple.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

For me:
    Diadora winter boots – because I picked them up cheap a couple of years ago. Until then I just used mtb shoes with over sock things.
    Seal skins/dexshell mid length socks
    Altura night vision tights
    If its raining waterproof overtrousers (I think I’ve got some cheap slazenger golfing ones from sports direct on the go for the moment, I’ve found golf ones pretty good over the years)

Long sleeve Jersey on top, normal light/mid weight at this time of year, winter weight wind proof once it gets colder, fleece lined thermal base layer under the light jersey if its really cold.
    Altura night vision waterproof on top.
    Icebreaker hat under helmet
    I really suffer with cold hands thanks to reynauds so Brisker waterproof gloves at the moment, silk liners in a few weeks I suspect, then onto some shimano lobster mits once it’s consistently sub 5 in a morning.

That being said, my commute is about 40mins, longer might need more consideration

(oh and I carry a pair of arm and leg warmers and a gillet in my bag just in case it gets seriously baltic)

thepurist

That being said, my commute is about 40mins, longer might need more consideration

That’s a good point – guess we’re all speaking from the perspective of our own journeys. Mine is around 19 miles so just over an hour each way and in the winter I’ll go through 3 phases – “still warm from leaving home”, “chilled from the outside”, “warmed from the inside”. For shorter commutes I’d try to extend the “still warm from home” bit, but I tend to go for layers with easy ventilation so I can minimise the “chilled from outside” bit without cooking myself on the “warmed from the inside” phase.

winston
    Free Member

25km each way mixed road/gravel/bridleway – twice a week in winter

Pinnacle Arkose 650b x 47 (tubed with slime in) with full Lifeline guards, Exposure Strada 600 and TraceR plus a spare Trace front and Lezyne rear light

Restrap frame bag for tools, spare tube etc and osprey talon 11 backpack for lunch, wallet, phone and clothes

Wet weather – sportful fiandre bibtights (polartec neoshell), planet x base layer, Altura LS thermal top, Altura flo yellow rain jacket, Shimano winter boots, Northwave or Sportful sotto zero gloves

Dry and cold weather – Scott fleecy tights, Sugoi RSE Alpha jacket, Planet X base etc etc

Also have a Sugoi waterproof helmet cover and clear glasses

Stand outs are the fiandre tights and Alpha jacket – in my opinion Polartec make the best technical materials in the world, way ahead of Gore etc. i’ve never found a gore product that works properly (though I haven’t tried shakedry) The Alpha jacket is amazing, so warm, so light and just dumps sweat and neoshell is the perfect wet weather cyling fabric. Unfortunately you can’t buy the RSE anymore but when it wears out i’ll just get another winter jacket made from polartec Alpha from someone else

fossy

I do use waterproof leggings when it’s really bad – yes a bit hot, but coupled with either waterproof boots or overshoes, your shoes stay dry – absolutely key for not having stinky shoes in the office.

Guards with extended front flap to reduce spray. CO2 inflater if you are running late for a meeting ! I once had three flats on the Fallowfield Loop on the way home in hissing rain. All caused by glass – fortunately had extra tubes. That was with 4 Seasons so changed to Durano Plus.

Different grades of long finger gloves. Some specifically for near zero.

Windproof skull cap under the lid.

willard

Yeah, have to second the guards. They might not look cool, but they help a lot with keeping water, slush and mud off you.

I never really bothered with waterproof shoes, just used my normal ones and took the hit with socks getting damp (although I do have a small collection of Sealskinz). Legs were just normal bibs/shorts with my Endura Humvee shorts over the top for pockets and windproofing. As it got colder, this changed to longs and then insulated longs, but I kept the shorts (for the pockets). Top was either a windproof or a light goretex with a Helly top underneath and, as it got cold, a windproof, insulated gillet and a windproof skullcap. We’re talking -20C for cold though. It was snowing before I really went to the insulated longs.

For gloves, I went with windproof and slight insulation and, as it got colder, slightly thicker insulation. Windproof was (for me) better than having insulation as it stopped my hands getting too warm, sweating and then getting cold.

MrSparkle

Not too bad so far so I’m still on shorts and jersey c/w knee warmers (Merlin ones – don’t hink they still do them, which is a shame), Torm arm warmers, Wheelbase gilet and a windproof jacket on occasion. Full finger PX gloves which are a bit thin and tight but will swap these to some of the various lobster claw mitts I have when it gets a bit cooler. I always wear a cap under my lid and will use my Decathlon one with ear flaps when it’s cold. PX Roubaix style bib tights and overshoes will be put into use too, no doubt. I wish PX did the Das Boot again. They seemed an affordable winter boot.
    Bike – full guards.
    Tyres – Schwalbe Marathon and Marathon Plus.
    Lights – one each end so far but will have backup for both once I need to use them ‘full time’.
    Lots of reflective bits.

IdleJon

So far, I’ve added a l/s base layer to my s/s jersey, shorts. I always have a lightweight windproof in my pack through the summer anyway. It’s been used twice since April, I reckon.

It’s nippy in the morning but if I wore anything more than I’d be incredibly sweaty by the time I got to work. I do see people on the way wearing full waterproofs, and long trousers, but it’s still fairly balmy here in south Wales. The regular commuters that I see every day are pretty much wearing what they always wear.

(40 minutes, 10 miles in the morning. Normally an hour+ on the way home. I rarely ride the direct way. I was practicing my cx dismounts in the woods on the way home yesterday. 😀 )

jkomo

For the unlit country road sections (10 miles each way) I use a cheap PX rear light pointing down from the cross bar, it lights up the water bottle and gives great side visibility.

desperatebicycle

Shorts with legwarmers underneath Pearl Izumi softshell trousers when it’s sub zero. Then, when it’s warmer for the ride home, legwarmers go in the bag/pannier.

Footwear is usually Northwave Celsius Gore boots (on my 2nd pair in about 20 years) – if its really cold then waterproof socks as well. Overshoes for warmer days, but they are more effort to put on.

IdleJon

For the unlit country road sections (10 miles each way) I use a cheap PX rear light pointing down from the cross bar, it lights up the water bottle and gives great side visibility.

Is this visible from the front, and if so does this not confuse oncoming traffic into thinking that you travelling away from them, not towards? Every so often I see someone riding with a rear light on their bars and wonder why they think this a good idea. (I’m guessing that you’ll have a white front light which would stop the red light being visible.)

tonyd

I haven’t commuted for a few years but when I did I used a variety of kit depending on conditions, then layered them as appropriate;

– Stiff road shoes and pedals (summer)
    – MTB shoes and pedals (winter)
    – Neoprene overshoes
    – Specialized Defroster winter boots (sized normally, add overshoes for more insulation)
    – I didn’t know about them at the time but would add some GripGrab gators, they are brilliant and simple
    – Regular bib shorts
    – Adidas response touring shorts (over bibs)
    – Gore knee warmers
    – Campagnolo winter bib tights
    – Gore waterproof shorts
    – Helly Hansen base layer tops
    – Regular road cycling jerseys (s/s and l/s)
    – Gore windproof jacket
    – Gore waterproof jacket
    – Buffs (normal and fleece)
    – Skull cap
    – Short fingered road gloves
    – Long fingered Pearl Izumi road gloves
    – Gore winter gloves

Agree that mudguards and tyres with puncture protection are crucial, as are lots of lights and reflectors. Mine was 18 miles each way along horrible unlit and fast A and B roads, did it 3 times a week.

tonyd

Is this visible from the front, and if so does this not confuse oncoming traffic into thinking that you travelling away from them, not towards?

pointing down from the cross bar, it lights up the water bottle and gives great side visibility.

I read that as on the cross bar (top tube) and pointing down, so the top tube/down tube/head tube should shield it sufficiently. Also, if the water bottle is clear I’d imagine it creates quite a good glow? Seems like a good idea.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a peaked under-helmet skull cap which keeps my head and ears lovely and warm in the depths of winter. Definitely the bit of kit that made riding much more pleasurable when it’s cold.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 again, full length guards. Raceblades, clip on’s, cruds, fork crown mounted off-road guards, all rubbish in at least one way. Full length guards that go down past the 9-o’clock position and the rear needs to extend to just past the bottom bracket are essential.

And a dynamo, proper bright lights, all the time, every ride, never go flat, never need removing, that don’t blind drivers, what’s not to like?

I’ve been wearing a 2″ strip cut from a buff under my helmet all summer as the foam pads long ago disintegrated. It does a surprisingly good job of keeping ears warm too when worn slightly lower at the back. Full buff under the helmet when the temp drops below zero.

I use Decathlon 500 series winter gloves, they do two versions a thin and a thick one. Thin is fine for now and daytime rides over most of the winter, the thick ones are essential when the mornings get frosty and December-January daytimes. They’re just fleece lined windproof material, not even a great “water repellant”, but they are cheap-ish and have lasted a long time now.

Proper waterproof gloves are on my list this year.

I say this every year, Northwave winter boots (Road ones! Not the MTB ones the cuff isn’t as good) And GripGrab Cycling Gaters.

They’re both identical apart form the sole, although they do now do a few options like a waterproof shoe without the cuff, non gore-tex versions etc. Grip grab gaiters are essential though.

bobbyspangles

agree with a lot of the suggestions above. My special, cosy secret is a mountain cap. cheap, waterproof, covers your ears and has a nice peak to keep the drips out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

agree with a lot of the suggestions above. My special, cosy secret is a mountain cap. cheap, waterproof, covers your ears and has a nice peak to keep the drips out.

Given the division over whether jackets should have hoods, and whether hoods go under/over helmets, I’m surprised no one makes something a bit more integrated, like a cycling cap combined with a desert hat, but waterproof.

It would look awful, but this is the sport that gave the world the dirtsuit.

escrs
    Free Member

Full guards, Schwalbe Durano plus tyres, Exposure Trace front and rear lights and my Exposure Diablo for the truely dark sections of my commute plus a Lenzyne clip on light on my backpack as a back up/extra visabilty

As for clothing im currently still in a Jersey and shorts, adding a long sleeve base layer if its a bit chillier

As the weather turns truely cold and wet ill dig out the Gailbier Minstral bibs and jacket (id best do this now and check the stitching hasnt failed again, although Gailbier are quick to repair for a small fee) Also will dig out the Sealskinz waterproof socks, Sealskinz waterproof gloves, skull cap and my Shimano MW7 boots

If its absolutley tipping it down or -5 degrees outside ill then wear all the above but also put on my waterproof mtb trousers and jacket

If it snows then all of the above and ill swap the road bike for the Hardtail

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

My special, cosy secret is a mountain cap. cheap, waterproof, covers your ears and has a nice peak to keep the drips out.

One of those shower caps you get in hotel rooms lives in each of my packs for those days when it takes a really lousy turn for the worse, they’re tiny, surprisingly warm and keep your head dry when it turns out the met Office clearly meant -3, snow and 20mph winds, not +8 and over cast with gusts of 15.

Not likely to see much use on the mind but they’ve come on handy on hill sides over winter more times than I’d like.

dyna-ti

I dont ride very fast, so theres no chance of heating up. To combat cold legs i use Czech ex army quilted trousers under whatever im wearing.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.