Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • It's Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread! Power and Control.
  • -m-
    Free Member

Power and Control, The Kremlin;

…but that’s not the Kremlin…

wwaswas

footflaps – I blame google images…

debaser

I do enjoy these threads. Here are some control rooms…

Hunterston ‘A’

Stonebyres Hydro Station

Kincardine on Forth Bridge

(Okay, so the last one controls a bridge rather than a power station but I’m putting it in on the strength of it looking damn cool and having a microphone to bark instructions at errant road/river users)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well it’s a church, so symbolic of Power and Control, I spose…

As is this place:

j_me
    Free Member

Ceausescu’s Palace of the Republic

yossarian
    Free Member

Oh well if we are veering off into any kind if power and control I give you:

caer caradoc

Maiden castle

bikebouy
    Free Member

Both in one car.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One for the IT nerds..

bikebouy
    Free Member

BOT, sorry for the flit earlier outside of bricks n mortar..

Abengoa Solar Array, Espania.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

geoffj
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

controlling and hrvesting the power of the waves

Harry_the_Spider

Geof, what/where is that? – I’m guessing The Wash.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No no it’s all gone horribly wrong. 🙁

Limehouse Accumulator Tower:

Simliar, but different; the Pimlico Accumulator Tower:

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The Galileo Mission Control Centre (shortly after construction)

)

geoffj

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Geof, what/where is that? – I’m guessing The Wash.

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Yup – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Trial_Bank

iain1775
    Free Member

One with personal interest, designed and built by the company I work for, tallest electricity pylons in the world, the Yangtze river crossing in china (346.5m tall, 4192tonnes)

Or one I was personally involved withthe construction of, the tallest structure in the UK, the Skelton transmitter mast in Cumbria

kevj
    Free Member

andrewh
    Free Member

Power and control.

maccruiskeen

Sharpen your pencils folks….. The next time the A&A thread revisits the power and control theme it could feature something you designed 🙂

maccruiskeen

^ Iain1775 built a kickstand for a cloud, superb!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nice one Maccruiskeen! 🙂

Mm, pylons….

nedrapier

Grand Dixence Dam, all 285 metres of it:

“Situated at the head of the Val des Dix, Grande Dixence is the highest gravity dam in the world, and something of a record-breaker! The height of its wall, 285 metres, remains unmatched. Its weight, approximately 15 million tonnes, makes it heavier than the Great Pyramid of Cheops

Each year it stores over 400 million cubic metres of water, a capacity achieved by the use of no less than 6 million cubic metres of concrete in its construction. With exactly the same quantity of concrete, it would be possible to build a wall 1.5 metres high and 10 centimetres wide, running all the way round the equator!

The dam is 200 metres wide at its base. At the top it “slims down” to just 15 metres. To make the foundation soil watertight, the grout curtain which surrounds the dam reaches a depth of 200 metres. It extends for 100 metres on each side of the valley.”

nedrapier

GSK Headquarters, Brentford. Viewed from above, it looks like a spoon.

Do more, feel better, live longer. Take your medicine.

AJames
    Free Member

It’s difficult to detach contemporary vanicular easthics from functionality, this is especially true when the engineering requirements result in an understandable grand facade. Compare Frank Lloyd Write to Le Courbusier for aesthetics and functionality debate with fashion and modernist heroism as an example…

Kunstler

The last pic of Jamie’s Belgian power station reminds me of the torture scene at the end of ‘Brazil’ but google told me that was filmed in the cooling tower of Croydon power station (since demolished).

Hmmm… you hear that Elfin? Film locations?

debaser – lovely set of dials you got there.

Bregante

Palazzo Ducale (Doge’s Palace)

The bridge of Sigh’s where traitors to the Doge would be taken out of the Palace and into the Dungeons/usually to their deaths….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A Panopticon, designed to control prisoners. Illinois State Penitentiary, near Joliet:

montylikesbeer

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pentonville is built in a similar way – uninterrupted sight lines from the central area down every wing – rather intimidating

bruk

[/url] Power station cloud 13/02/09 by BJ Ray, on Flickr[/img]

More of Fiddler Ferry

-m-
    Free Member

Pylons? How about these:

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wow those pylons are amazing.. Looks like they’re in Europe, wouldn’t have anything so inspiring here in the UK would we now.
    Great photos.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A cube with so much power and control you would not believe.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Power and control, try sailing one of these, and theres a design ethic within.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Power
    &

Control

-m-
    Free Member

Wow those pylons are amazing.. Looks like they’re in Europe, wouldn’t have anything so inspiring here in the UK would we now.
    Great photos.

Sadly they’re from another design-a-pylon competition, so renderings on top of a photo background rather than being “real”. Agree that it would be great to see something like that though. Not everywhere, but as something different in the right environment they’d look ace.

xiphon
    Free Member

bikebouy – A cube with so much power and control you would not believe.

So that’s where the Transformers AllSpark cube is hiding!

iain1775
    Free Member

Those pylons are awful, prime example of architects playing at being Engineers, they would be incrediably expensive to build, if not impossible, would never stand up to the loadings imposed and would be incredibly difficult to maintain as well as needing to be doubled up as single circuit outages on the one line would not be possible
    And don’t get me started in that RIBA design a pylon competition! That doesn’t have one exeriemced engineer on the judging panel
    No new designs will see light of day as a result of that, possibly some minor ideas may get cribed and incorporated into existing (revised) designs (access etc) but in the uk the traditional pylon is unlikely to change very much, that competition is just a very, very cheap way for ngt to get some new ideas and a means to try and pacify the public over the increase in windfarms etc

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe, sucha shame.. those pylons are truely excellent..

Suppose “let pylons be pylons”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘It's Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread! Power and Control.’ is closed to new replies.