Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • It’s bitter, need new bib tights
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Recent spell of bitter weather made me realise that my probably 5 years old Planet X winter tights are pretty down to their last leggs…

Hence need new ones.

Got the favourites, but as they are following their name (Bonka) in pricing department can’t see buying them any time soon.

So will appreciate less expensive alternatives, preferabley with no insert as I’m strong Assos believer. Hence Bonka on the top of the tops of my list…

Something really warm and windproof, not necesarily waterproof as I have Endura Stealth Lite for wet weather riding awaiting it’s turn in the wardrobe.

Cheers!
    I.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Budget?

bonzodog
    Free Member

I got some dhb 3/4 ones earlier in the year. They’re brilliant for the money.

I’ll check back later with the ‘model’ name if you like?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonnyboi

Mistral 2 Membrane Bib Tights

Cracking tights, kept me warm for 8 hours last week

four
    Free Member

I have Castelli Nanoflex full length and 3/4 – both very good IME.

singletrackmind

i picked some Polaris ones for £40ish , in a sale good for 3 -4 ‘c temps Wind protect finish seems to help abit as well. For me though its toes/ feet that go first and never recover

mcnultycop

Big fan of Lusso Max Repel without pad over my padded bib shorts in these conditions.

Andy

+1 polaris

edhornby

another vote for Lusso – UK made and you can buy direct, sensible price
    have a look at Prendas, their garments are consistently high quality

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Somehow managed to lose that thread completly…

Lusso. Got their 3/4 bibs and I’m pretty happy with them.

Quick search and cant see long Max Reper bibs in their offer…

Is that current equivalent of Max Repel model?

https://lusso.bike/product/nitelife-repel-thermal-bib-tights/

Cheers!
    I.

mrb123
    Free Member
    IvanMTB
    Free Member

Preferebly without pad, as mentioned in the first post…

Cheers!
    I.

akira

Castelli nanoflex get my vote. Few deals on older models.

matt_outandabout

My Polaris ones are ok, but my ancient Scott’s are the ones I want again. They have softshell panels on shin and butt to keep out damp, double warm knees. All the rest is winter weight fluffy inside. Nice fit too.

Merak

I remember way back Endura used to make the best bibs bar none. No insert. They were fleece backed elastic braces with adjustable clips and the best bit reinforced rubber panels at the shins.

mrmo
    Free Member

https://www.swissiconic.com/men/knickers-tights/

depending on what size you are always worth a quick look to see if there are any left overs.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Lusso retired the Max Repel, but whatever their thermal bibs are called now will probably be good.

globalti
    Free Member

Another + for Lusso, excellent kit made about 100 yards from where I’m typing this in Manchester. Their bib tights, shorts and 3/4s are all excellent.

ElShalimo

I’m very happy with my Galibier Mistral bib tights.
    It’s worth looking on their website

nedrapier

Rivelo worth a look on Sport Pursuit. I like my 3/4 and normal bibs. 3/4 are slightly fleecy.

Speaking of which:

I’ve got a 1cm hole on the knee of my Rivelo slightly fleecey 3/4 bibs.

Any ideas on how to patch them?

butcher

The DHB ones are working well for me. I have some a few years old now which are developing significant holes and the difference is massive.

I’m not sure why anyone would recommend 3/4 length bibs at this time of year. In fact I don’t really get the point of them at all. Having skin exposed in temps hovering around freezing doesn’t make any sense at all and is just asking for cold feet. Sometimes you can cover the exposed area with long socks, but full length bibs can also help prevent water flowing into the top of your boots too.

Planet X stuff is in Aldi level of quality in my experience. But then again, most of the Planet X clothing I’ve bought has been cheaper than the Aldi stuff.

nedrapier

I wasn’t recommending 3/4, I was recommending the brand, because I’ve had good experience with the bibs I’ve had (normal and thermal 3/4s) and they get recommended by others on here.

I’ve just checked on Sport pursuit and the Rivelo thermal bib tights are the Winnats.

Black, with a choice of colours of the rear of the calf. £65

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Endura Thermolite for me, I have never been cold in them they feel so cosy may use them in summer.

TiRed

I would always recommend bib 3/4. I wear them with long merino socks for full coverage. My favourite are the Rapha but they are not cheap. They are however excellent. Chrome long socks keep my calves and feet warm. When it warms up I switch to shorter socks.

For full tights, I wear club kit Champion Systema, RH+ as well. Not as nice as the Rapha. I still wear long socks OVER the tights. Just done almost four hours out in zero degrees.

hatter

I’m big fan of the Pearl Izumi AmFib tights for when it’s proper cold, they’re usually well north of £100 but Freewheel seem to be have a few of last year’s on sale at half price, inc some padless ones. Limited sizes available though.

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=amfib

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Dropped a line to Lusso guys with question which one would be the closest to Max Repel from their current range.

Thanks everybody!

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘It’s bitter, need new bib tights’ is closed to new replies.