Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • It's been a long time coming, but I've now got myself a website. Be kind.
  • Garry_Lager

Website seems spot on to me – works well, simple and the content speaks for itself. Cycling emphasised quite highly in the bio, which is obv fine for stw but might seem a bit incongruous to the rest of the world – depends on what you’re trying to do.
    What are you trying to do? It seems like you’re a serious artist with a weighty track record. Is it normal to have a website on this basis? Just wondering if there’s a risk of positioning yourself at the wrong tier. Every first year art student will have a site / blog like this – obv content nowhere near – guess it depends on what you have in mind for the site.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Garry, I don’t think that’s a problem. I know of other reasonably well regarded artists who have websites that are worse.

Like this one http://clivewilkins.wordpress.com/fine-art/

I could be wrong though, I guess.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It does just what it’s supposed to do, show the artwork.
    Just been through the site end to end on an Android tablet and it worked perfectly.
    Was so taken with the paintings I really didn’t see any obvious flaws other than you are a talented bloke and I hate you with every fibre of my being. Hope you sell loads. 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What are you trying to do? It seems like you’re a serious artist with a weighty track record. Is it normal to have a website on this basis? Just wondering if there’s a risk of positioning yourself at the wrong tier. Every first year art student will have a site / blog like this – obv content nowhere near – guess it depends on what you have in mind for the site.

I’d looked at few artist’s sites and gagged at their ‘artist’s statements’, so I didn’t want to go down that route. If the paintings can’t stand up on their own, no amount of art bollocks will shore them up.

I’ve been a lifelong cyclist, it took me to places I wanted to paint, I painted myself as a figure in the landscape. I then found my landscapes could exist without the figure. That was a revelation.

We tried to find a balance where there was enough biographical info to place the work in context.

Peter, I reckon you might be a bit too educated to be coming touring with me and the elderly gentlemans drinking and cycling club…….

Ton, what part of riding with a bunch of friends in an awesome landscape don’t you think I’ll get? 😉

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

O wow. The land(sea)scapes are quite wonderful. Love that the website doesn’t try to shout too loud—it’s quiet and unfussy and … well kinda like a really well curated exhibition. Nice 8)
    But wot no gift shop!! I’d be up for a fridge magnet 🙂

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I was going to buy one but they’re all smudged.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I think its ace. well done you.

I’d looked at few artist’s sites and gagged at their ‘artist’s statements’, so I didn’t want to go down that route. If the paintings can’t stand up on their own, no amount of art bollocks will shore them up.

ha ha too true.

nbt
    sniffthebreeze
    Free Member

Mcmoonter,
    Lovely art!
    A guy futher up had a great idea. REALLY good quality prints. I can’t see the wife letting me shell out several £K’s on cycling art, but a few hundred ( if necessry) on good prints would work.
    I recently picked up one of the Jo Burt LTD rouleur prints and it is wonderful. Lovely texture,as well as good work.
    I think your work may well translate to this format nicely, and perhaps there would be a worthwhile market to give it a try?
    SNIFF

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Wow.

Reminiscent of some Peter Doig.

You’re proper talented, aint’cha?

camo16
    Free Member

I’d looked at few artist’s sites and gagged at their ‘artist’s statements’

Well, from the audience’s POV that’s often the most entertaining bit. 😉

Your work, it seems to me, explores the counterpoise/disjoin/tension that exists between nature and the precarious human condition. I’m right, no?

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you find a less evil pic of you for the front page?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I suppose you’re promoting your painting, but it would be good to see some examples of your woodwork.

Ever thought of doing more “installation”-type work using your wood skills?

stumpy01

I like the website. It loads quick and looks clean.

A few things I did think:

Your ‘Car and Couples’ section says just ‘Car Couples’ when you get onto the actual page. Not sure if this is a mistake or supposed to be, but it is different to all the other pages where the title matches the link on the left (oh, apart from the Florence one).
    In a similar vein you use all lower case on the left hand links, but capitalise the first letters of the words when you are actually on the page (except in some occasions, like Still life).

The ‘collections’ page. I don’t know what it means/is? Is it a list of where your art has been displayed? Where your art is currently displayed? Something else? Perhaps a couple of sentences explaining the point of that page…? e.g. ‘This is a list of places my art has been displayed, or is currently being displayed’?

I would group the ‘factual’ pages together, so ‘bio’, ‘collections’, ‘education & awards’, ‘solo & group exhibitions’ would all be at the top of the list, with the galleries below and then ‘contact me’ right at the bottom….

Small, finickety things. Feel free to ignore them! 😀

Well done on the site!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well I spend a fair bit of time looking at artists websites and have made a few in the past and I’d say it’s a pretty good effort.

Bear in mind who’s going to be coming to the site and what their priorities are. For the sites I did, the overwhelming majority of visits were from people who’d seen work in a gallery or similar and wanted to find out more about the artist and find more work by them.

Because of this I’d change the focus of the collections link, splitting it out into publicly viewable and private collections and providing links to the galleries where appropriate.

Solo & Group Exhibitions should focus on exhibitions which are ongoing and if there are any future exhibitions they should be highlighted. Arguably the most important line on this page is the last, as this provides visitors with the information they need to access more of your work:

I exhibit regularly with the Scottish Gallery, Aitken Dott, Edinburgh; Thompson’s Gallery, London; Panter & Hall, London; Stafford Gallery, London, Lyon & Turnbull, Edinburgh

I’m guessing that the commercial element of the site isn’t a big deal – at least initially – which is perfectly fine but it’s still likely to be a important for your visitors. Even if they’re not looking to buy from the site, getting an idea of whether the artist’s work is within your price range is important. I’d move if up the navigation, I’d also be tempted to include some recently sold works in there as it fleshes it out and provides a notion of your work as it is now.

On the navigation front I’d want to separate the galleries from the informational and functional pages. Maybe bring the information to the top, add a separator and then have the galleries below (or vice versa).

Like it though, it’s pitched at about the right level for your audience and the functionality is sufficient without being too elaborate.

Cheers,
    Sam

Big-M
    Free Member

the site is very good, clean, simple and easy to navigate.

Your art is fantastic, I wish I could afford some.

AlexSimon

I’m a web designer and didn’t really notice the mechanics of the website – I thought it did a great job of leaving the art to do the talking. I took a similar approach when I did an artist’s site a couple of years ago.

I’m not a fan of the centred menu text, but that’s just a personal thing.

I always seem to be drawn to the sketchier side of people’s work. I especially like this one:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This is really helpful guys.

I agree with the lower case menu, we should capitalise and rejig it. I will also sort the miss match between the menu titles and the thumbnails.

The Collections list? As an artist I thought that was self evident, but it’s clearly ambiguous. It’s a list of private and corporate collectors of my work.

We will add links to the galleries currently exhibiting my work. Timing is everything, L&T got the top price for one of my Landscapes in Tuesdays’s auction.

We added a link to a dedicated Facebook page, clicking ‘Like’ will add you to the updating mailing, rather than going to the site.

I’m keen to see how the site will work. I’ve had a long term group of collectors who have come to the studio to buy work. Their key motivation being access to new work before it reaches the gallery. What many of you may not realise is that a west end gallery commission is never less than 50%.

Its always a balancing act between having stock in the studio and the gallery. The gallery clearly has a far bigger client list, as well as passing trade than I ever will. Their overheads are a damn site more than my shed in the woods.

Prints. I never considered that. Files under stuff to research. Ton suggested T shirts too.

I’ve had a copyright agreement with a card company who sold cards in the National Gallery and Royal Academy gift shops. Again, I should really be looking at stuff like that myself.

boblo
    Free Member

I’m no web designer but get involved in the odd bit of application design.

The only question I would ask is what order is the Collections in? For me it should be alpha so I can easily find stuff I’m looking for.

And for everyone else, he really isn’t that pretty in the flesh 🙂

adjustablewench
    Free Member

^ usless without a (recent) picture 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

That would be unfair. If Mcbloodytalented wants to post recent pics of himself posing, so be it. 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The only question I would ask is what order is the Collections in? For me it should be alpha so I can easily find stuff I’m looking for.

Boblo, I couldn’t think of a rational way to put them in any order so I put the biggest badasses at the top.

A lifetime as a cake coniossieur has been hard on me. I’m thinking of the children and baby robins by posting a retro pic.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Now new and improved with wood. 😀

molgrips – Member

Can you find a less evil pic of you for the front page?

That is my smiley face 😯

DezB
    Free Member

Nice site – you know what it really reminds me of – early artists’ website back when the World Wide Web was in it’s infancy in the 90s.
    There were a few early adopters in the artistic world.
    Web sites were kept simple and just used to showcase the work.
    I like.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member
    Now new and improved with wood.

just had a quick look but couldn’t see it . . .

mcmoonter
    Free Member

just had a quick look but couldn’t see it . .

Is there not a thumbnail marked Glassmount?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

No – i am looking on the home page for it – but can’t see it

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It appears as the last thumbnail on my iPad, the workings of this are beyond me, I will need to give Leffeboy a shout. Thanks for the heads up.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

In a week more than a thousand STWers visited the site. 😯

Thanks for the interest.

We sorted out the link to the woodpiles and other projects at the bottom of the Bio page.

As I said above, there is a Facebook link to a companion page. Click on ‘Like’ and you’ll be notified when the page gets updated with new paintings or other news.

ton

when are you taking tee shirt orders? 8)

Clover

Like. Simple website, all works very smoothly like a nicely oiled bureau.

Love the couples on bikes! All inspired now.

Can I have a FB like back please? My illustrations are not in your league and I haven’t got round to putting my other work online or building a proper website but maybe I should… it looks really satisfying.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Can I have a FB like back please?

Of course.

I found the whole process of making the site, while ably helped by leffeboy, to be great fun. I found some paintings I’d long forgotten about. It was like remeeting old friends

Clover

Cheers!

Old friends? Yes, I guess it would. Help! I’ve just realised that some of them are in biscuit tins… you shouldn’t put your old friends in biscuit tins should you?

leffeboy

MC prepares a welcome for anyone coming round selling 29ers

The other Glassmount stuff is here

Ok, off to look at all the other suggestions

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘It's been a long time coming, but I've now got myself a website. Be kind.’ is closed to new replies.