Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • It's all just riding bikes – meh!
  • Brought about by the ST mag thread

I’m in a minority here I know, but who just likes riding mountain bikes?

I don’t subscribe to the ‘it’s all just riding bikes’ philosophy. I have zero interest in road bikes (or riding a bike on the road), CX bikes, commuters, folding bikes, bmx, or any other kind of bike.

I want a bike that will take me into the hills and over some seriously rough terrain effectively and here it endeth!

lucien

Yes, but you could murder the trail with a 650b and have better rolling whatever’s with a 29’er

rOcKeTdOg

Just mtb is too narrow a horizon for me, I just like riding so I ride anything & every type I can

It’s all just pedalling might be a better phrase

Nowt against 650b (well, apart from the commercial aspect), or 29’ers, as long as they are MTB’s

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just mtb is too narrow a horizon for me, I just like riding so I ride anything & every type I can

Hear, hear!

Some of the most fun I’ve had on a bike was pootling around That London on a summer’s evening on a 1980’s ladies Raleigh Cameo. Still riding, still fun! 🙂

legend
    Free Member

lucien – Member
    Yes, but you could murder the trail with a 650b

Now I’m confused. How can 650b simultaneously bring the trails to life and murder them??

chakaping
    Free Member

on a 1980’s ladies Raleigh Cameo

Word up!

ton

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

sometimes things change.
    you views will if your consequenceses ever change.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

chakaping, I was, of course, wearing a cod piece.

rene59
    Free Member

Same as the OP. Only ever ride mountain bikes. Have no interest in any other types of bikes or riding.

Last time I rode anything other than a mountain bike must have been in the 80s.

sometimes things change.
    you views will if your consequenceses ever change.

My post was intended to be antagonistic Tony, or to berate anyone that does like riding road bikes.

Just to me, at this moment in time (and for the past 20 years), it’s all about MTB’ing with no interest in anything else – not to say that might never change.

66deg
    Free Member

Yep just MTBs for me if i stand to close to a road bike i get a nose bleed.

weeksy

I ride only MTB’s…

I also tollerate Spin/gym bikes as a necessity.

fasthaggis

I have zero interest in road bikes (or riding a bike on the road), CX bikes, commuters, folding bikes, bmx, or any other kind of bike.

I want a bike that will take me into the hills and over some seriously rough terrain effectively

I heard that you were a bit of a bimbler ,and that you were too scared to try other bikes as it would show how weak and feeble your legs were.

😛

maxtorque

MTB’s mainly, over terrain that requires you to actively ride the bike, not just turn the pedals around underneath you!

If the weather was better, and we had less traffic around these parts, then i could see myself getting a road bike just to keep my fitness up, but i still find just pedaling along a straight flat road as quite dull tbh.

However, i do enjoy seeing other people riding inappropriate bikes, it makes me smile. Whether that is a 8″ DH rig in tescos carpark, or someone manfully wrestling a CX bike through a muddy field it all looks like good dirty fun to me! 😉

I was a bimbler indeed last night on my HT haggis (were you watching me?) – but at least it got me places I couldn’t have gone on any other type of bike! 😛

fasthaggis

Sorry ,I take all that back ,you can’t be soft if you ride an HT 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

not me, I get bored too quickly.

clubby

Brought about by the ST mag thread

I’m in a minority here I know, but who just likes riding mountain bikes?

I don’t subscribe to the ‘it’s all just riding bikes’ philosophy. I have zero interest in road bikes (or riding a bike on the road), CX bikes, commuters, folding bikes, bmx, or any other kind of bike.

I want a bike that will take me into the hills and over some seriously rough terrain effectively and here it endeth!

You’ll be wanting a fat bike then 🙂

I’d happily try a fatbike, as I still class them as MTB’s and (potentially) should take me where I want to go – I’m sure I couldn’t be doing with dragging all that rotating mass around though.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If the weather was better, and we had less traffic around these parts, then i could see myself getting a road bike just to keep my fitness up, but i still find just pedaling along a straight flat road as quite dull tbh.

Meanwhile, on road.cc…

If the weather was better, and we had more trails around these parts, then I could see myself getting a mountain bike just to keep my fitness up, but i still find just pedalling along the side of a straight flat field as quite dull tbh

rob-jackson
    Free Member

surely a cross bike would do that also – in reply to wanting to try a fat bike?

Northwind

I ride on the road but I don’t enjoy it much, it is incredibly dull- I do it because I mountain bike, really, for a little extra fitness. I own a BMX but there must be something wrong with it, as it’s yet to do any backflips. Oh and I dabbled with cyclocross and had some fun but for everything I did with it, it was just a worse mountain bike so I sold it and kept my rigid mtb.

But it’s all just riding bikes, just that some is a bit different.

It might Rob, but I don’t put fat tyres, riser bars and suspension on my MTB’s just for a laugh 😉

Legoman
    Free Member

MTB only for me. I never could multi-task

fathomer

I enjoy some road biking, though it’s more so I can get on a bike as the off roading isn’t up to much around here.

Given the choice though, mountain bike always wins.

clubby

That’s the thing, where do you stop classing something as an mtb?
    To some a dh racing bike is a mountain bike and to others so is a narrow semi-slick tyred 29er full rigid singlespeed. Both of these would be less suitable for your needs than a cross bike.
    I do respect your position but I like variety. I draw the line at fixies though, they’re just for weirdos.

righog
    Free Member

STR have you tried all the different types of riding you don’t like ?

I ride a fair bit of road, but never at the expense of an MTB ride. If I do a few road miles a year I get fitter and enjoy me MTBing more. I also get to ride with a different set of mates which is good.

But this kind of thing does not happen unless you are offroad ( from an e mail from a mate from last nights ride, as I am at work)

He fell side first into a Bog – a very wet smelly bog (at the start of the ride) – his bike came down on top of him – the sight of him frantically trying to get up can only be likened to a flapping fish out of water! I was laughing so hard there was no sound coming out of my mouth!

STR have you tried all the different types of riding you don’t like ?

I could never ride a BMX as a kid – and never owned one, as my gangly legs weren’t suitable for one.

I had a few road bikes when I was (much) younger and never really enjoyed it that much. Once bought one for a family cycling trip with my folks (in the early days of MTB) and wished I’d bought an MTB. Way before I had an MTB, I had a Raleigh Bomber as a kid and just wanted to ride farm tracks and get off the road.

So, no I’ve never tried a CX bike and probably never will, but other than that, I think I’m qualified

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve been obsessed with bikes since I was 12 (which was a long time ago) and have riden just about every variety going. Road bike, touring bike, TT bike, track bike, CX bike, mountain bike, tricycle, tandem, tandem tricycle, unicycle, recumbent and even had a go on an vintage ordinary. They were all fun and I’ve met some great people along the way, from a national TT record holder to two old geezers from the RSF who described taking a tandem over the Lairig Ghru as ‘a bit of a lark’.
    But I’m only really interested in 26″ hardtails 🙂

wiggles
    Free Member

I’m an mtb’er only really. Even use MTB ht with knoblies for riding to work (staying off the roads as much as I can). Just find it boring riding on roads. My dad has a CX bike which I had a go on but hated.

Yes, but you could murder the trail with a 650b
    Now I’m confused. How can 650b simultaneously bring the trails to life and murder them??

Trails a not living, there for you need to bring them to life before you can kill them 😉

tazzymtb

riser bars

ahhh so you are one of these new fangled “fashion” riders then? averone knows that riser bars serve no purpose over a lighter, stronger, just as wide flat bar, other than to make you pretend you are on a mx bike 😀

miketually
    Free Member

I only every eat boiled veg with spuds and meat. Can’t see why anyone bothers with other food or cooking methods. I had a pizza once, but it was too bready for me.

tomd
    Free Member

There isn’t that much distinction for me. I went biking up a mountain on CX bike last weekend because it was the bike a) nearest the door and b)in the best working order. Great fun, it made the 10mile ride out on the canal path a blast and was easier to carry up the hill.

maxtorque

Mountain biking is ace, where else would one get to practise those vital MRVJDALFTB** skills?

**(Mid River Vertical Jumping Dismount And Lunge For The Bank)

ahhh so you are one of these new fangled “fashion” riders then? averone knows that riser bars serve no purpose over a lighter, stronger, just as wide flat bar, other than to make you pretend you are on a mx bike

Have you seen how high I have my saddle? 😉

rusty90
    Free Member

Mountain biking is ace, where else would one get to practise those vital MRVJDALFTB** skills?

You’re right. CX bikes are a very poor substitue for that sort of thing 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘It's all just riding bikes – meh!’ is closed to new replies.