Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • It's a sprocket, not a cog!!!
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I was under the impression that belts went around pulleys. (Well they do on line shafts).

Aah, but the belts here have teeth, which interlock with the teeth on the sprocket, hence sprocket! 😉

belugabob
    Free Member

Duh – it’s not “Sprocket or cog” – it’s “Sprocket the dog” !

Onzadog
    Free Member

PAT testing!
    👿

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stoddys
    Free Member

Front cog, no chainring, rear sprocket, no cassette, ss cog? Doh!

honourablegeorge

paladin – Member
    I’m an engineer and I call them cogs. I also call vacuum cleaners Hoovers, and I call lunch dinner, and dinner supper, unless its a restaurant and I call dinner dinner.

BATMAN

shermer75
    Free Member

Sprocket:

Cog:

rp16v
    Free Member

Belt drive = sprocket. What’s a 1pc driver?

look up bmx cassette drivers

oldnick

PIN number…

I veer between being a stickler for correct use of language and “but you know what I’m getting at” depending upon whether I think I know what I’m talking about or not.

epicyclo

Northwind – Member
    PS, 10 points to the first person to use the word cromulent in this thread

Well, you just won it. Congratulations, you’ve embiggened this thread. 🙂

garage-dweller

1pc driver is someone who reads the guardian alone at motorway services while drinking fair trade organic green tea.

BigJohn

Don’t we need Sprocketcog to answer this?

Sorry, I mean Rocketdog.

crazy-legs

Despite knowing perfectly well that it’s a sprocket, I call it a cog, because it’s a nicer word to say. Cog. Cog.

Cog.

I disagree, I think sprocket is a nicer word. It’s up there with “strudel” as a word you can really enjoy pronouncing.

Greybeard
    Free Member

‘hoist by your own petard’ means shot by your own ordinance

Since this is a thread about correct nomenclature, I have to point out that it actually means ‘blown up by your own bomb’

And I think you meant ‘ordnance’ not ‘ordinance’ 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

And I think you meant ‘ordnance’ not ‘ordinance’

Shall we conduct a survey about that?

sbob
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member

Weirdly enough ‘hoist by your own petard’ means shot by your own ordinance- it’s olde english!

It’s French.

fadda

Shall we conduct a survey about that?

V good. V.v. good indeed!

nikk
    Free Member

PCB board

LCD display

PAT testing

PIN number

ATM machine

fruitbat

I would suggest that sprocket is a nice ‘woody ‘ word while ‘cog’ is rather tinny.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwXJsWHupg [/video]

genghispod
    Free Member

Clearly a ‘cog’ that turns another ‘cog’ is a ‘gearwheel’, ie. not a cog or a sprocket. At least that’s what the German parts manuals at work call them – ‘Spindelrad’. Actually translates as ‘spindle wheel’ funnily enough. Just thought I’d add to the confusion!

brokensoul
    Free Member

A belt with teeth which mesh with a pulley with teeth, are a timing belt meshing with a timing pulley.
    Chain ring.
    Sprocket.
    Teeth on a sprocket have always been called teeth.
    IME.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

My (un)favorite is “Personal Identification PIN Number”. Seen it more than once. Which Cog thought of that one, I’d give him a good sprocket in his jockey wheels!

shaggy

That’s called PNS syndrome.

aracer
    Free Member

MTB Bike

I trust that you also also:

-know your spindles from your axles
    -say Dérailleur not mech, and pronounce the double l properly.
    -bleed your brakes from the reservoir or master cylinder not the lever
    -say ‘ferrule’ not ‘end cap’
    -only refer to an allen key if its manufactured by Allen
    -talk of ‘chain bushing wear’ not “stretch”.
    -have absolutely no adjustable wrenches in your home or workplace.

Well out of that list, I’m with Sheldon Brown http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html, I’m a bit confused about brakes which have a separate bleed point at the lever to the one at the reservoir/master cylinder, I tend to refer to hex keys (shorter, innit?) and I’d drown myself in a barrel of my own piss rather than refer to chain stretch. I have to admit to owning two good quality adjustable wrenches though.

JoeG
    Free Member

or

??? 😀

paladin

So when you mention ‘sprocket’ to someone, and they say ‘what’s a sprocket’, you answer with ‘a cog’.

Studied chain stretch for timing chains on big 2-stroke engines, and although the chain certainly does not stretch, it is still called chain stretch.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused about brakes which have a separate bleed point at the lever to the one at the reservoir/master cylinder,

I break all those rules of mechanical correctness I posted as well as cog/sprocket. I have two rubbish “toolzone” quality adustacle wrenches as well as a stilson for big/stubborn ones. 😳

FWIW the brake lever is the bendy bit your finger(s) move to make the brake work, which uses a cuple of pivits and other gubbins to pump the master cylinder. So in shermer’s correct world, his lever should be the simple mechanical bit of the assembly, the master cylinder or reservoir will be where he gets to pump in or drain out brake fluid.
    A lever.
    A master cylinder.

Of course if I referred to it as such hardly anyone would get it. When my formulas went in for warranty the excellent warranty guy and I both referred to the complete master cylinder assembly as the ‘lever’ and seemed to understand each other. I don’t think either of us got sprocket-rage about it. 😀

bob_summers

Bastard file.

Petard comes from Latinish, and gives us both the word for”small stupid firework” and “fart” in Spanish.

huw
    Free Member

At the end of the day, sprocket or cog, who gives a f£$*, just ride your bike.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

At the end of the day, sprocket or cog, who gives a f£$*, just ride your bike

Shouldn’t that be ride your bycycle?

Or perhaps cycle?

aracer
    Free Member

So in shermer’s correct world, his lever should be the simple mechanical bit of the assembly, the master cylinder or reservoir will be where he gets to pump in or drain out brake fluid.

Ah sorry – was misunderstanding the point you were making. I’d be guilty of calling the whole thing a lever, but prepared to justify that on the basis that it serves the same function as a mechanical brake lever, and that lever has become the generic term for the whole assembly.

Of course if you were being awfully pedantic, then you could argue that you bleed at the hose attachment point rather than the master cylinder.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I love this forum…
    And there’s also a game of full-contact Mornington Crescent in progress. M’seur Ambassador, you are spoiling us!

stratman
    Free Member

I too love this forum, for the same reasons. Someone else got the ‘ordinance’ ‘ordnance’ point.

My pet ( non mechanical) hate is ‘which tact to take’ rather than ‘which tack to take’

belugabob
    Free Member

How about “I’m going to try and go faster” Instead of “I’m going to try to go faster”
    The first is so obviously wrong, if you think about it for a second – if you try and go faster, you’ve succeeded!

nikk
    Free Member

How about screws vs bolts?

Seems that no one can agree on exactly what term is used for what.

In the end, who cares, when in the context there is no ambivalence.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Why do we have a saddle, but not a saddle post? Or saddle post clamp or saddle tube for that matter.

nikk
    Free Member

And don’t start me on ‘clipless’ pedals!

marczr
    Free Member

Just a load of cog these idle sprockets pinions

walla

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘It's a sprocket, not a cog!!!’ is closed to new replies.