Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • It's a sprocket, not a cog!!!
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Does anybody else get annoyed by this? It’s simple: a cog drives a cog, a chain drives a sprocket. All the bike mags call them cogs. What am I missing here?!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Ps while I’m annoyed anyway, why has my font come out small? Who did this to me??!?!!!

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve always called it a sprocket, as when I used to bmx a “sprocket stall/slide” sounds way better than a “cog stall/slide” !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

That journos are not engineers?

Only just human in some cases.

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh, NOW it’s the right size!!

shermer75
    Free Member

That journos are not engineers?
    Only just human in some cases.

I genuinely believe that when it comes to bike journos we can upgrade that to ‘most’

epicyclo

shermer75 – Member
    Ps while I’m annoyed anyway, why has my font come out small? Who did this to me??!?!!!

The cog that drives the sprocket that powers the interweb is broken… 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Does anybody else get annoyed by this?

No. I learnt mechanics on technic lego where the exact same parts could be cogs, sprockets or pinion wheels depending on what you mated them to.

Someone needs to tell all those charlatans selling “chainrings” and “chainwheels” (shimano iirc) about this too then. 😉

khani
    Free Member

, u ok hun?
    U need to chillax..

😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Cog:

Sprocket:

shermer75
    Free Member

‘Chainring’ is fine by me, it’s a bike specific word that refers to, well, ‘chainrings’! 🙂

wwaswas

that 24 tooth cog with a chain around it has a very small hole in the middle.

Should I be calling my chain rings sprockets as well?

tomhoward

, u ok hun?

I will end you for that….. 👿

‘a rose by any other name….’

julianwilson
    Free Member

But it’s not a chainring: that would be better used to describe a ring made out of chain. It’s a front sprocket. Or in the case of motorcycles, a pinion. 😉

paladin

I’m an engineer and I call them cogs. I also call vacuum cleaners Hoovers, and I call lunch dinner, and dinner supper, unless its a restaurant and I call dinner dinner.

shermer75
    Free Member

wwaswas, I refer to my previous answer 😉

wwaswas

I’ve always felt that cassettes should be called ‘evenly spaced sprocket clusters’.

tomhoward

Bet you call public address systems ‘Tannoys’ too, heathen? 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

paladin – Member
    I’m an engineer and I call them cogs. I also call vacuum cleaners Hoovers, and I call lunch dinner, and dinner supper, unless its a restaurant and I call dinner dinner.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shermer75
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    I’ve always felt that cassettes should be called ‘evenly spaced sprocket clusters’.

Now you’re just being silly!! 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

i used to call a spade a spade, but on closer inspection it turns out its a shovel.

jamj1974

It’s a sprocket!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Shermer75, it must be so tiring being a beacon of correct mechanical nomenclature. I trust that you also also:

-know your spindles from your axles
    -say Dérailleur not mech, and pronounce the double l properly.
    -bleed your brakes from the reservoir or master cylinder not the lever
    -say ‘ferrule’ not ‘end cap’
    -only refer to an allen key if its manufactured by Allen
    -talk of ‘chain bushing wear’ not “stretch”.
    -have absolutely no adjustable wrenches in your home or workplace. 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Julianwilson yep, you’re right, you got me there- I do none of those things. Sprockets and cogs though, it seems so obvious!!! Does it REALLY not annoy anybody else????

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cog is a generic term. A Pinion is a specific type or subset of Cogs i.e. as in Rack and Pinion steering. As is an idler. You don’t have pinions in chain drive trains. I would say they are sprockets. But its just splitting hairs. On my first day as an Apprentice we were told there is no such thing as a Drill Bit. Its a Drill, as is the machine that drives it, but is preceded by antoher work like Pillar Drill, or Hand Drill, and if any of us were caught calling it a Drill Bit we go a good bollocking.

Northwind

Despite knowing perfectly well that it’s a sprocket, I call it a cog, because it’s a nicer word to say. Cog. Cog.

Cog.

PS, 10 points to the first person to use the word cromulent in this thread

wwaswas

PS, 10 points to the first person to use the word cromulent in this thread

*checks*

It was you!

BigJohn

I call dinner dinner.

I thought that’s how you called Batman.

Dinner dinner dinner,dinner dinner dinner…BATMAN!

wwaswas

I thought that’s how you called Batman.

Apparently, it’s all grandmothers when you need to contact him now;

shermer75
    Free Member

Just looked it up on Wikipedia (!) and apparently it’s the teeth that are called cogs, and what I was referring to as cogs are actually called gears. The teeth on sprockets are also called cogs. Hrumph.

teethgrinder

Is this what being hoist upon ones own petard is?

Rorschach
    Free Member

See also….front forks. Or back shocker.

wilko1999
    Free Member

PCB board 😐

rp16v
    Free Member

currentley giggling away at the monitor as the wharehouse lad looks at me like a t*^t… so whare douse a 1pc driver sit in this equasion is it a driver or a sprocket…. also on a belt drive would that then be a cog as not used with a chain or still sub catagorised at sprocket?

sorry.

shermer75
    Free Member

Weirdly enough ‘hoist by your own petard’ means shot by your own ordinance- it’s olde english!

shermer75
    Free Member

Front forks and back shocker. Aaaaaargh!!!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Belt drive = sprocket. What’s a 1pc driver?

stumpy01

wilko1999 – Member
    PCB board

LCD display…… 👿

Sandwich

I was under the impression that belts went around pulleys. (Well they do on line shafts).

Wasn’t the petard the charge in the mine placed under the enemies walls prior to effecting a breach? To be hoist by the petard was due to incorrect fuse length leaving insufficient time to retreat to a safe distance.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sandwich I can’t say if you’re definitely right or not but that sounds like a much more convincing answer!! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘It's a sprocket, not a cog!!!’ is closed to new replies.