Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • It’s a bit damp out there
  • aP
    Free Member

Up in Brum for a meeting, train up was running 45 minutes behind then early terminated at Birmingham International. Just made my meeting. Now returning and it’s all fairly chaotic with many trains cancelled. It‘S one of those things, but what exactly (yes I know it’s raining quite heavily) is it that’s caused the disruption?

submarined
    Free Member

The fact half of the countryside around here is underwater, including some of the lines.

aP
    Free Member

It was chaos at New Street – no one had any idea what’s going on. Hadn’t realised the rain had been THAT heavy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dang, The Severn only just began to recede, they had to shut the road bridge to clear all the flood debris from the arches. Looks set to repeat rinse 😩

Predict as the next decade rolls by the flood/crisis/recovery cycle will become more abstract until Certain Areas are effectively no-go zones.

aP
    Free Member

Yes, I was at an Infrastructure Australia event about a month ago and the figure quoted was that what they’d previously planned for as 100 year events were now actually 5 year events. Which is an enormous change in risk profile.
    It’s going to tear up many of our current ‘steady state’ assumptions and require significant reassessment of both existing and proposed infrastructure.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Been mental around here today, “nipped” over to leisure lakes near longeaton and the a52 was ducking horrendous with standing water!

Drac

Was a bit wet earlier and peeing down again now just in time for me to walk to the physio.

Alex

I came through New Street last night. I was whinging how delayed I’d been. Ended up a total of of an hour from Durham to Ledbury. Rather glad I’m not there today. Lines closed from Malvern Westward, and New Street is a horror when there’s a problem.

Our lad is stuck in Ledbury. 6 miles to here but I’ve just tried it and nearly floated my wife’s Fabia into a wall! Looks like the boss is taking him home in her 4×4. Or he’s sleeping on the floor of the Nursery.

Anyone who thinks this is just ‘weather’ needs to get better informed.

Houns

Heavy constant rain all day here in Stourbridge (10 miles west of Brum) plenty of flooded roads etc being reported by friends, especially around Bromsgrove. I’ve been holed up all day studying so not seen any problems my self… Imagine the heavy rain plus all the leaves blocking the drains is the cause

Wish it was snow!

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s just a bit ‘November’ here in Cardiff, but it seems it’s balls deep in Snow a few miles north at BPW.

TBH this autumn has been pretty shit, I can’t remember the last ride I didn’t get soaked to the skin or frozen.

It’s got so bad I’ve sacked off the night ride and I’m going to the hateful Gym. I love an MTB ride, but it’s 2 hours of chasing around CREE LEDs in the pouring rain / 3c or an hour in the gym trying not to get caught staring at the gym bunnies in lyrca.

Houns

Ah just seen we’re under alert here. Means I may be called in to work as the Stour runs through our estate

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/target-area/033FWF3STOURBRIDGE

fettlin

Hereford/Worcester border here, just traveled 13 miles to collect my better half from Worcs hospital and then back again to Bromyard on the A44, 3 and a bit hour round trip that should have been 1 and a half tops.

flooding across the A44 in 5 or 6 places, my little Yeti managed it with a bit of sensible positioning but there were more cars abandoned on the way back than on the way there.

and its still raining!

submarined
    Free Member

As an idea, this is just outside Stratford Upon Avon

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

And that’s following a multi million pound flood alleviation scheme in some of those areas a few years ago. It’s pretty bad round here. Some of that was well over a foot deep (had to ride through it in the way home, to pick my son up from his school, which was closing due to the flooding)

I think the main Stratford line was flooded, and some of the stuff near Coventry too.

MoreCashThanDash

Grim around Nottingham, Derby and Ilkeston this evening. Many roads flooded, a couple closed near Ilkeston, river Erewash on red warning for the first time in years.

pondo

German market almost deserted when I left work, roads pretty skank. I punctured. 🙁

Kryton57

I was involved in that, 4hrs Brum to London on a packed train, which emptied and swapped to another at Milton Keynes last night.  Still, we travelled and got home, many many people are suffering far worse that a bit of inconvenience due to the floods.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Some puddles due to runoff from fields around north of chelt/gloc, couple of the local-roads-for-local-people had a few first-gear-and-10mph spots. Predictable queues of snowflakes city dwellers unable to spot that a visible kerb means there will be no trouble with simply driving slowly carefully avoiding any water. Immediately locally, its not much (yet) – can see a lot of other areas are suffering though.

In-laws have some bother with the Wye being a bit full.

Expecting the Severn to start closing more roads for the next few days, too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘It’s a bit damp out there’ is closed to new replies.