Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ITBS, walking poles and Via Ferrata
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Just booked to go to the Dolomites with the mrs and will partake in a bit of Via Ferrata 😀

Im planning on making the same trip I did with mate a few years ago but I’m worrying my ITBS will ruin the trip.

I basically haven’t done any mountaineering or running for a few years due to ITBS (and quite enjoyed the MTB so hasn’t really bothered me) but now have a month to get myself sorted. I paid a fair amount of money last year for physio but it didn’t work so I’m wondering if a pair of walking poles could be the answer? I don’t get a ITB twinge when walking up hill or cycling it only starts to play up when going down hill…..

(im 28 BTW so not an old codger)

footflaps

Investing in a good stretch routine and a pack of 96x400mg Ibuprofen would be my advice (ex ITFBs sufferer).

Ewan
    Free Member

Get a hard foam roller. Cut it in half, take with you in your bag (it’ll weight nothing). Alternatively if you’re hard enough just buy a 2L pop bottle (full and pressurised) and use that. The latter properly hurts tho (in a good way!).

Ewan
    Free Member

(forgot to say, you lie on your side with the roller under your leg and all your weight on it. Then you roll on it an wince.) Sorted out my IT band a treat.

Ambrose

What is ITFB? I tried googling it but none of these responses seemed appropriate.

http://www.acronymgeek.com/ITFB

oxnop
    Free Member

Good tip Ewan. I can’t believe the physio didn’t recommend me a roller, all the research i did post physio pointed towards a roller.

i’ve heard its better to spend money on a decent roller as the cheeper ones deform and become useless?

footflaps

it’s ITBFS Illiotibial band friction syndrome…

Konastoner
    Free Member

oxnop I had ITBS a few years back, bloody agony! I ordered these :-

PATTSTRAP

I was sceptical, but they do work. Now ITBS free!

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve two rollers. The expensive one went saggy in the middle. The cheap 5 quid one has been fine for 4 years odd. Just make sure it’s a hard foam.

NZCol

Agree, foam roller and a good roll/stretch regime should keep it at bay. Also some core strength exercises might help you not overload them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Regardless of anything else walking poles are a good idea. Used them in the alps and UK, they take a huge load off your knees and really help downhill. Have a friend in the midlands who did some work on my hips that had been bugging me for a while (Link) more looking at the whole body for the cause/solution. Worked well

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ITBS, walking poles and Via Ferrata’ is closed to new replies.