Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Italian Ski resort for kids and beginners?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

Planning a family skiing trip in February next year in Italy and thought I’d check in here for recommendations.

There may be about 4-6 adults, all beginners, one toddler and an infant. So, looking for a resort with plenty of beginner slopes, ski school and easy access from Stanstead Airport. Not sure what to do Accommodation wise, catered chalet, self catering, Air BnB?

Cheers!

nickjb
    Free Member

Passo Tonale is good. It’s quite small but there is enough to keep you busy. The beginner slopes form a big area above and down into the town. It’s very easy to pop back to the hotel or meet up for lunch etc. Nice layout for families and beginners. It’s a couple of hours from Milan Bergamo. Hire cars are cheap or you can get a transfer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Look at the Milky Way/Via Lattea resorts. Close to Turin, so short transfers, which is a big plus point with children! Just over the border, Montgenèvre and Serre Chevalier are also worth a look. Transfers not much longer, and very much fit your brief.

The latter (and yes, I’m biased!) also has stuff like the thermal baths, pools etc, and the facilities of a decent sized town nearby, Briançon.

stevie750

Not italy, but you do fly into Turin. Montegenevre is great for beginners.  Nightlife is quiet, I think there is only one night club

andeh

We take 70 year 8 kids to Bormio every year with school. It’s good for us because the whole mountain is pretty much no harder than a red, with blues top to bottom and a good range of lifts/easy slopes. Town is nice and very kid friendly (not a party town) and there’s assorted other stuff you can do. If you get bored then Santa Caterina is just up the valley. We stay in Hotel Nevada which is directly opposite the lift, but there’s no chance I’d be able to afford to stay there if I were going on my own.

Andy_B

Courmayeur has pretty easy skiing and transfers of under 2 hours from Milan, Turin and Geneva. I have no idea about lessons.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Fantastic! Will look these all up now . Cheers

tuboflard

Courmayeur is pretty limited I think for complete beginners. Lovely town but I’m sure there are better places.

nbt

Love Courmayeur, but ti’s not what you’re looking for. Pila though above Aosta might well be. Milky Way is probalby overkill for beginnners, though you could get an an area pass and not bother with the whole pass. Passo Tonale would be an excellent choice

lucien

Have a look at Bardonnechia, plenty to do and good access from Turin or if you bad really clever, by rail.

mefty
    Free Member

My daughter’s old school do a biennial ski trip to Folgaria in the Dolomites, the kids all come back very happy and some are pretty capable skiers.

I have been to Courmayer, Gressoney, Cervinia. Bormio and Pila.  Of these I would have thought the latter two would be most suitable.

superfli
    Free Member

You could try saving a fortune and avoid Alps and dolomites where the big resorts are? Go local and ski the Apenines which run down the centre of Italy. The resorts are a lot smaller, and mountains not so high, but beginners aren’t going to be bothered. Abetone in Tuscany caught my eye when I was looking last year (can’t afford to take kids just yet).

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If it’s got to be Italy, then my recommendation would be Kronplatz.

https://www.kronplatz.com/en/kronplatz

Brilliant resort. Really good modern lift infrastructure so you’re unlikely to queue anywhere for more than a minute or two. Good ski-schools and restaurants. Probably been there about a dozen times over the years and always found there to be enough to keep family happy for a week.

Really enjoyed Madonna di Campiglio last Easter too

https://www.campiglio.com/

Much older more established resort but a nice place to stay.

If Austria is also a possibility, try Steinplatte

http://www.steinplatte.tirol/en/the-skiarea-steinplatte-waidring-tirol.html

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Italian Ski resort for kids and beginners?’ is closed to new replies.