Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Italian rifugio list
  • Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

I know Italy has many refugios / shelters / mountain huts. The website for the Italian Mountain Club says 774 refuges and bivouacs, but I’m struggling to find a comprehensive list or map to plan a route. I’ve found dozens of individual pages, but not one full list or map.

Does anyone here know of one?

Premier Icon B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I would imagine most will be owned by the Club Alpino Italiano, that’s usually the case in other countries (might just be the high mountain huts). They’ll probably be a section with maps and lists on their website, whether that’s all of them or just the one’s owned by the CAI, you’ll have to try and work out. If it’s like other countries, some might be private hotels. My bet is even if they are privately owned they will probably still be on the CAI website.

Premier Icon ElShalimo
    Free Member

@the00 – which area are you planning to go to?

The CAI have regional sections that maintain huts, via ferrata routes etc. You might need to start with the local hut and work your way along the route to the others in that sector?

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

Yeah, they have a page by region, then by area, then individual hut name… Not much use if I don’t know where to start. Even then a time consuming way of doing it. I’ve emailed them for a list on the off-chance.

Premier Icon ElShalimo
    Free Member

Not much use if I don’t know where to start.

Italy’s a big place – you must have at least half an idea !! That’s like saying shall I start my bike ride in Cornwall or Sutherland

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

Probably Apennines for first trip, Tuscany, Liguria etc.

Premier Icon nasher
    Free Member

Here’s a full list here, divided into regions and provinces.

The CAI rifugios are also manned and catered.

List

But if crossing Liguria, just follow the AVML alta via Monti liguri.
    Here you go full route with, places to stay etc

Although I would do it the other way around.

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

It’s taken a bit of time… but I at least managed to map a few in a limited area.
    https://goo.gl/maps/9TXxLAaLDro2tNGw5
    I might add some more over time.

Premier Icon johnny

I don’t know if you’re looking generally, but I’ve had some excellent experiences with Italian Rifugi. At the time I was walking rather than riding, but the standouts were Umbria, Abruzzo and a Via Ferrata trip in the Sud Tyrol/ Dolomiti.

Another resource is this: good for long distance walking routes. Not sure how rideable they are.

Premier Icon BoardinBob

I can thoroughly recommend Rifugio Des Guides in Cervinia. Stayed there for a night last month. An unbelievable experience

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

AVML alta via Monti liguri sounds interesting, but looks like I’ll need to pay £5 for all the map info. Not so much open source info in Italy it would seem, but some fun research.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.