Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Italian motorway tolls and missing one
  • noone

Well, IMO not missing one.

Does anyone have any experience with allegedly missing an Italian motorway toll? In August, I was driving between Maranello and Venice when I accidentally got in the wrong lane for the toll gates; I wanted cash/card and I got into the Telepass lane (combination of short approach and just three different toll gates). I had no choice but to carry on as I wasn’t about to be ‘that guy’ trying to reverse out.

When it came time to leave the motorway, I went into the cash lane, pressed the help button and (as the internet warned me) was charged the maximum possible toll for the road (some 70 euro). It stung but it was my mistake etc.

Fast forward to today and I receive an email from Goldcar telling me that I missed a toll, they’re passing my information on and I have to pay their admin fee.

So, I was wondering if anyone has any prior experience. Am I to expect some kind of fine for going through the wrong gate despite already paying a punitive toll?

boomerlives
    Free Member

Goldcar will just take their fee and you will hear nothing more.

It’s a nice tip for the hire company; Avis in France do it a lot.

“We had to pass your details along; so we’ve charged your credit card for the bother”

You will hear nothing else, and you’ve paid for lunch at the hire company.

tomd
    Free Member

Yeah I missed one a couple of years back on the Autostrade near Florence. When I exited I got a 70EUR fine printed on a slip, however, when you log onto the website to pay you get a time limitted option to state what your actual journey was and pay that. IRC you had to say where you entered and exited, provide a passport number and accept that you’d be hung drawn and quartered if you lied. If you’d already paid the fine I’m not sure what else you could do. Hire company never came back to me so must have been OK.

On another trip to Italy Avis stung me for providing details as you have been. I don’t know what it was, I think it maybe was an auto camera thing in Turin. So you may have been caught for something random like that and not the toll. Obiously I never got any actual fine through, just the 90EUR avis fee. Bastards. I was the only driver in Turin stopping at red lights and not trying to kill everyone. Maybe that was the issue? In my old job my team travelled loads, Italy was definitely a hotspot for picking up mystery fines.

Bunnyhop

My auntie who drives around Italy a lot has a telepass (sp).

She got a letter telling her she hadn’t paid at a toll in the summer. She was amazed as she has the pass and this has never happened before.
    I was suspicious of them trying to fine her.
    She paid in the end (it was only 11E) but still, if they tried this on with hundreds if not thousands of drivers that adds up to quite a bit of money.

nickjb
    Free Member

My experience is the same as boomer. Hire companies love these admin fees. Been stung for a few and never had a fine through. Last time I challenged it with the credit card company as an unauthorised payment. Took a bit of correspondence but eventually got the money back.

Kahurangi

Goldcar have a terrible reputation, send a letter for your records denying it and dispute it with your card issuer.

dmorts

There’s at least one Autostrada where you have to pay online, and it doesn’t have toll gates.

Perhaps this is a fine for that? With the missed toll gate being a red herring?

Edit: the one we were on is the Pedemontana in Lombardy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Italian motorway tolls and missing one’ is closed to new replies.