Italian Alps v Dolomites

Home Forum Bike Forum Italian Alps v Dolomites

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Italian Alps v Dolomites
  • Hi I am planning a 5 day road cycling trip to either Bormio in the Italian Alps or the Dolomites in mid June. Ive heard great reports about both areas regarding the quality of routes, scenery and climbs. Id be keen to hear from anyone who has cycled in both areas and what your recommendations would be in choosing either one of these great locations.
    thanks in advance.

Premier Icon gary

Both great, though I only spend a couple of days around Bormio. Personally I would be straight to the Dolomites as for me the scenery just edges it. You could put together epic routes from either location.

A few photos from each here :

I’ve ridden the Mortirolo and Stelvio which are good and there’s much more to do in the vicinity – certainly 5 or 6 days.
    I rode the Maratona a few years ago based near Corvara – there’s about a week’s worth of riding from the door.
    (+) if you’re flying then the way to Bormio is immensely painful – you’ll need to allow 4-5 hours each way. You are likely to get snow on the Stelvio, there was about a metre at the sides of the road in early June last year. Take winter clothing just in case the descent off the Stelvio was tough even wearing full winter clothing.

Thanks for the feedback, thats flights to Venice now booked for early June Dolomites it is. Would you be able to recommend any bike friendly hotels you may have stayed at?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Italian Alps v Dolomites’ is closed to new replies.