Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • IT people with Macs – Catalina
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Just upgraded, and all my dev servers are now inaccessible. Apparently,

“TLS server certificates must have a validity period of 825 days or fewer (as expressed in the NotBefore and NotAfter fields of the certificate).”

Everything I am working on or need to access has a 10 year validity period, so is now broken.

Anyone else had this? Is there an easy fix or do I need to pull everything apart and hack it to bits? I’ve installed tons of stuff and the self-signed certs are in everything.

amedias
    Free Member

Step 1> Rollback to Mojave from your backups
    Step 2> Spin up a VM and install Catalina
    Step 3> Start testing *everything* you use or need on a regular basis, there’s a lot of compatibility changes with Cat’ apart from the well publicised dropping of 32bit support which is catching a lot of people out.

The SSL cert thing isn’t Catalina specific BTW, it;s in response to a global change that came in last year for certificate authorities, but it’s only just been enforced in Catalina and later IOS.

You’ll start to run into this issue with other software too, including browsers, so best get sorting your certs anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

The provider of the software is patching the installer but I need it now of course.

Apparently typing ‘thisisunsafe’ into the browser window generally (not the address bar) lets you override.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just upgraded

why?

molgrips
    Free Member

It made me. Company policy I think.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Kryton57

Anyone else find Catalina seems a little clunky?   Our home Mac has four user accounts on it – his, hers and the two kids.   I found that every three weeks or so when switching between one user and another is painfully slow plus beachball – literally minutes – to change.

A shutdown/restart seems to sort it, but why I’ve no idea.

DavidB
    Free Member

It’s buggy as hell. For example Mail will not open a reply window if you run it in a second monitor. Weird freezes occasionally when switching desktops. Definitely slower due to indexing on startup. Apparently Apple have sent a rocket up their dev/test teams as the same happened with iOS 13

Kryton57

Ah – indexing is what it is on startup.  I can hear the hdd chuntering away…

lets hope its fixed soon.

rickmeister

Mines working but I have lost the ability to load stuff onto an ipad which is a pain. Everything else seems fine.

mjsmke

Catalina is pretty awful. Untill all the bugs are fixed anyway.

As said above, roll back to Mojave from a backup/clone. If you don’t have a backup it’s more difficult but not impossible.

BadlyWiredDog

Anyone else find Catalina seems a little clunky?

I’ve found it okay, but I did a clean install on a reformatted SSD and cleaned out a load of crap at the same time. Mostly I haven’t reinstalled Adobe Creative Cloud and its multitude of endless memory-sapping background processes.

The only real issue I’ve had is with Acorn – a basic image editor – just crashing. The bread and butter stuff – web browsing, Mail, Music, Podcasts – works okay for me though. Touch wood. The standalone Podcast app is a sight better than the awful iTunes handling of podcasts fwiw.

Edit: actually I take that back, it won’t recognise my Canon EOS atm. Hmmm…

Rik
    Free Member

Dropping 32bit support – will that have issues with 3rd party replacement SSDs with Catalina

Sandwich

So far no problem with my 2012 mini with third party SSD fitted. There are some odd network problems going on with Mac to Mac file shares at home though.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

We just had a batch of new ones come in, the new 16″ ones with the proper working keyboard… All came with Catalina – which one of our major Apps won’t work with at the moment so a real pain. Spent yesterday crowbarring Mojave back on.

Kryton57

So – has everyone applied the upgrade?

As a home user I’ve upgraded our Mac and its flying again, like very fast for web page launches and stuff like that.

doris5000

oh dear god no.

as a music technology nerd, upgrading to Catalina would bork half my stuff! I’ll be waiting at least til next summer. Normally I try to upgrade at the last moment before the next release comes out. This time it feels like even that might be too soon!

bikebouy
    Free Member

So – has everyone applied the upgrade?

Yeah, running 10.15.2 and apart form having to reset the SMC and NVRAM twice to stop dropping bluetooth out it’s been ok.

But having to reset the SMC and NVRAM is a pain, so actually I give it 7/10 for effort.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘IT people with Macs – Catalina’ is closed to new replies.