Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • IT helpdesk – router/modem have fallen out
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Arhhh, last two weeks have seen an ever decreasing internet connection speed. So tonight I re-booted the router and the modem, (multiple times), and now the router will not connect to the modem.

I can access the internet with increased speed if I connect via a cable to the modem, and I can create a wireless network and connect to that, however I get the message that internet access is missing in Windows 7 and no internet access via the router interface when connected to that via a cable.

Any idea?

imnotamused
    Free Member

Is the cable between the router and the modem seated properly (you don’t mention that you have one but you should).

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yup there is a cable between the two boxes and I’ve tried a couple of different ones to be sure. Thanks

imnotamused
    Free Member

And check cable going from modem goes into port labelled internet or adsl on wifi router (as supposed to ports 1 to 4 for example)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Again yup, internet light on the router is green OK

somouk
    Free Member

Turn them both off for a period of 10 minutes.

Turn the modem on first, allow it to boot and establish its broadband connection and then turn the router on.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Well that’s a good sign! You could fiddle with router settings but it might be quicker to do a factory reset of it (should be a button you press on it with a paperclip while you power it off and on). Would you know how to re configure the wifi password on the router if you connected to it with a cable after a factory reset?

imnotamused
    Free Member

Another question. What happens if you connect pc to wifi router port 1 with a cable (ensuring router internet port still cabled to modem obviously). Do you get internet?

If not, leave the cable plugged in and click start, run, type

Cmd

Press enter

then type

ipconfig /release

Press enter

Type

Ipconfig /renew

Press enter. Do you get internet now?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Right success! It seems you don’t need the user name and password for the internet connection in both the modem and router settings.

By removing them in the router I now have access.

Pat on the back to imnotamused and somouk, happy riding vibes to you.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Happy days

Greybeard
    Free Member

Sounds as if maybe the router is trying to set itself up on a different subnet – so nothing will talk to it. That could happen if you reboot the router while the modem is down or rebooting – normally (I would expect) the router will get its network address from the modem. So, as above, reboot modem first, and when it’s fully up, reboot the router.

If that doesn’t work, get a Windows command prompt, type ipconfig /all and post the result here.

satchm00
    Free Member

Its happened to me a few times. Its a windows7 quirk i think, i just click the red cross when you view troubleshoot and its says it has fixed the default gateway after fannying about for five minutes. Bit odd but my drivers etc are all up to date.

Happens very randomly though, can be fine for months and then gets upset for a couple of days.

Probably should try static but erm i’m just lazy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘IT helpdesk – router/modem have fallen out’ is closed to new replies.