Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • IT Helpdesk – part two, router throttling internet access speed
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

OK so after last weeks router/modem issue, I now have the following odd problem.

My internet access speed through a cable to my laptop plugged into my modem is 2mb/s, which is what I pay for, however as soon as I go through my router it drops to around .6mb/s.

This is consistent across multiple devices both wired and via wireless.

I’m not running WEP or any security and have the latest firmware and have factory reset the router.

Any ideas of what to try next before desperately ringing Netgear’s support

scotroutes

Try changing the channel

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

channel? I’m off to investigate

scotroutes

If you have a Smartphone, it’s worth downloading one of the many WiFi analyzers. That’ll show you what channels are in use in your locale. Pick one that isn’t being heavily used (usually 9-14) and set that in your router.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My internet access speed through a cable to my laptop plugged into my modem is 2mb/s, which is what I pay for

It is actually, you pay for an aspirational figure that may be possible somewhere in the country and it says that in the small print.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It is actually,

According to various speedtests, then yes, that is what I get. Hence why I know the fall off whilst going through the router.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nope, not a channel issue, although not surprised as I’ve only one neighbour

scaredypants

Only one device using the wifi, or have you a phone or two as well ?

stufield
    Free Member

is the router next to a microwave or cordless phone?

What model netgear router is it?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Are the router and the wifi devices all using the same wifi standard (eg, 11g, 11n)?

samuri
    Free Member

Read the OP people. He gets speed issues on wired AND wireless. The router is slowing things down.

With just a wired connection to the router, nothing associated with wireless, do you still have problems? Does this problem stay when you move between wired ports? I assume the connection between router and modem is ethernet? You have of course, tried a different cable?

daveh
    Free Member

Lol, as above, read the question people! I’d least suspect the router, is everything else the same: cables, microfilter, phone socket? What do the router stats report, sync speeds, same signal noise ratio?

Stoner
    Free Member

wot greybeard said, b? g? n?

scaredypants

g & n are supposed to be backwards compatible aren’t they, so the worst he should be seeing is the lowest common denominator (which can’t be worse than b, can it ??)

Russell96

Ethernet connection between modem and router set up/defaulting as 10mbps half duplex perhaps? Set both ends manually to 100mbps full duplex.

You have not said if your broadband service is ADSL or Cable if it’s the latter sometimes cable services can get themselves mucked up over the MAC address of the router being different to the MAC address of the computer/laptop you directly connected to the modem when you first activated the service.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Right back home again, thanks for the suggestions.

Tried a different cable between the modem and router, and tried different ports wired from the router. No change.

Connection is ADSL, I’ve spoken to the supplier and re-set the modem and all is OK there.

Four devices on the wireless LAN, each has a unique IP assigned by the router.

thejesmonddingo

Have you got a laptop you can wire into the router?,if so disable the wireless adapter,turn everything off that is connected to the router in any way,then run bt speedchecker.If you still have a low speed then buy a new router.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Above, OK will try later. Beginning to think it might be a new router job.

thejesmonddingo

The site for the BT checker is here,just follow the instructions
    http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Greybeard
    Free Member

As samuri has pointed out, it’s nothing to do with 11g, 11n, as it also happens on wired connections – my mistake, sorry Chef.

I’m suspecting a subnet problem. The devices all get their IP from the router. Presumable, when the router’s not in the configuration, they get their IPs from the modem. Does the modem know when the router’s there (so that it doesn’t try to allocate IPs as well) and what’s its IP?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

OK after re-booting both the modem and the router I’m getting the same, (poor), numbers from both. At least its consistent now.

Time to ring my ISP again.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘IT Helpdesk – part two, router throttling internet access speed’ is closed to new replies.