Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • IT Help. Windows 8 – every file I download is corrupt.
  • mdavids
    Free Member

Wrong forum, sorry.

Being the family IT geek I’ve just sorted my elderly uncle out with a new laptop, a reasonable spec samsung with windows 8.

I took it away for a few days to familiarise myself with it, set it up in a way that he’ll find easy to use and install a few essentials and didn’t encounter any problems so took it over to his to show him how to use it.

All was fine until I tried to install google earth and no matter what I tried it wouldn’t let me, giving me an error message saying file verification failed. So I then tried the google earth browser plugin and had the same problem. Then google chrome – the same. I’d already downloaded and installed firefox but tried re-downloading to see if the problem was just google software, again the install failed due to a corrupt file.

My next thought was that I’d installed a couple of windows updates since installing firefox and maybe these were the cause so tried a system restore but this didn’t work either.

I’ve also tried disabling smart screen and defender as some installs triggered smart screen protection.

I’ve tried wireless and wired internet.

So I’ve left it with him for now and will be going back in a couple of days to try again. Aside from a full factory restore I’m all out of ideas, googling the problem is bringing up very little and what I’ve found I’ve tried and it hasn’t worked.

The only other thing different is that I’m using his internet rather than mine but I cant see that being the problem.

Any thoughts on what I can try?

Any windows 8 users encountering similar problems?

Is windows 8 just a big pile of ****?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is this the one where software must be verified by MS and sold/installed through their App Shop?

Not played with it yet and will probably be avoiding for quite a while

mdavids
    Free Member

Is this the one where software must be verified by MS and sold/installed through their App Shop?

I dont think so. Certain things trigger the smart screen which warns you the software isn’t verified but you can still install it.

lordmerchant
    Free Member

I had this for ages on a pc runnign windows 7, every file i downloaded or used a flash drive was corrupt, after trying everything the problem ended up being dodgy RAM…something to consider?

mdavids
    Free Member

Have you asked google?

I did google the problem and the only answer I was getting was to download the file direct, rather than use the small google updater file which handles the download and install for you. That didn’t work either.

I dont particularly want chrome, I just tried it to see if it worked, which it didn’t.

mdavids
    Free Member

This is the problem I’m getting

But the solution doesn’t work and I’m unable to successfully download and install firefox as well – I assume this is part of the same problem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fair enough just checking the obvious there are some Win8 Forums out there that may be more help – try the google help – not sure if you can contact them direct??

mdavids
    Free Member

I had this for ages on a pc runnign windows 7, every file i downloaded or used a flash drive was corrupt, after trying everything the problem ended up being dodgy RAM…something to consider?

Its a possibility but the laptop is brand new so I’m ruling out hardware for now.

compositepro
    Free Member

Have you tried a different browser?

mdavids
    Free Member

Have you tried a different browser?

Yep. Had the exact same issues with IE. It wont let me install chrome as the file is corrupt.

mdavids
    Free Member

It’s a Superhub issue

Great!! thanks for that. I’ll try my laptop on his connection see if I get the same issues then try his on mine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘IT Help. Windows 8 – every file I download is corrupt.’ is closed to new replies.