Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • It could be you!
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Mr Thwaite did admit that he was likely to buy his ‘dream car’ – a Skoda Superb Estate.

…….and spend more time on STW

pk13

Trees and land for me lots of it.
    No way I would go public. my uncle has won it they are grounded with it too nice bloke tbf

jeffl

Haha. Funny I’m looking at a Skoda Superb estate, the go faster version. Basically a Golf R underneath. All you really need for day to day motoring.

But I’ll be honest I’d buy loads of classic cars and also start building my own kit car for fun.

But other than a large garage and cars I’d spend most of my day riding my bike and going to the pub.

Edit: Oh and make sure family and friends are sorted. Then give the rest to charity.

argee

It’s usually boring stuff, at their age they’re not exactly going to be on the brag about ferrari’s and caribbean mansions, when telling the world you’ve won nearly £200 million it’s all about looking normal!

chewkw
    Free Member

I keep praying everyday to Almighty (all of them) to grant my wish of striking the lottery jackpot.

Almighty agreed so I was very happy with my wish granted but then …

I waited and waited and waited but it did not happen.

I asked again … “Almighty please grant me my wish of striking the lottery jackpot …”

Then one day Almighty said to me … “You need to buy the lottery ticket first”.

LOL!

Moral of the story don’t envy others, just buy a lottery ticket because you can be the next person celebrating.

Speeder

I get the feeling that the “presenting the winners”, “the story” and “what we’ll do with the money” are all very carefully managed with no big vulgar ambitions and it all feeling very grounded and “nice”.

These 2 look to be good ambassadors for the lottery, hope they manage to do well and enjoy it not self destruct like a few.

dudeofdoom

TBH the reality of their situation hasn’t set in yet.

It’s the kids and grandchildren who’ll be doing the self destructing 🙁

Houns

amesfts

Well this explains why I’ve had a meeting next week randomly cancelled!

You work with them then?

IHN

It wasn’t me, but if it was:

You can have that, I’ll have this for the worlds coolest bike van 🙂

Speeder

Mr Thwaite did admit that he was likely to buy his ‘dream car’ – a Skoda Superb Estate.

I hope that was a joke. So little imagination. Jag D-Type, Singer 911 and a nice T6 bike van for me. And that’s the first week.

MoreCashThanDash

Great that bunging £10m to the wife’s hairdresser and getting them to go public has enabled us to sneak under the radar…..

IHN

Well, I’ve bought a ticket for tonight, it’s only £35m but that’ll have to do I suppose.

RustyNissanPrairie

I hope that was a joke

I heard it on Radio4 and googled it last night to confirm and copied from {{{blurgh}}}} {{{{mini spew}}}}} daily mail online.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well, I’ve bought a ticket for tonight, it’s only £35m but that’ll have to do I suppose.

Back of the queue!

squirrelking
    Free Member

You can have that, I’ll have this for the worlds coolest bike van 🙂

You say it’s cool but it can always be cooler.

Out there is a fortune waitin’ to be had
    You think I’ll let it go you’re mad
    You’ve got another thing comin’

vangeance

kerley
    Free Member

I hope that was a joke. So little imagination. Jag D-Type, Singer 911 and a nice T6 bike van for me. And that’s the first week.

And then the second week three more and the third week three more and then “god I am bored of just buying stuff”

Winning loads of money and just buying stuff with it is a completely missed opportunity to make your own and those of others lives more fulfilling.

crazy-legs

That’s probably what I’d buy! 😳
    Thing is, I wouldn’t go public and it’d be great for sneaking under the radar a bit rather than turning up in a new supercar each day.

I’d have a cool van camper as well though!

For the last few weeks when the jackpot was building up to that £185m, I was buying a ticket regularly and I got 2 numbers (about a £2.80 prize) 3 or 4 times! Forgot to buy last night so I assume I would have won if I’d have remembered. Always the way… 😉

crazy-legs

Thing is, I wouldn’t go public and it’d be great for sneaking under the radar a bit rather than turning up in a new supercar each day.

I’d have a cool van camper as well though!

For the last few weeks when the jackpot was building up to that £185m, I was buying a ticket regularly and I got 2 numbers (about a £2.80 prize) 3 or 4 times! Forgot to buy last night so I assume I would have won if I’d have remembered. Always the way… 😉

dudeofdoom

Yeah to go with that £7.5 mill farm nearClarksons farm you always promised yourself 🙂

Probably BS

but like I say,it won’t have sank in but everything they possibly dreamt of buying is just a credit card swipe away.

MoreCashThanDash

Pretty much my thought process.

dudeofdoom

Hmmm but what would DoD buy,

Probably a Tesla roadster, leccy vw camper thing,twizzy and possibly a modest 2 bed apartment in Barcelona, but nothing silly.

A little round the world cruise to think it over,

Give up work, now that’s tricky as I like to do it,(it’s like a hobby) but I think the issue would be I would only want to do what I want when I want to which doesn’t really work as an employee and I wouldn’t want to buy it.

Setting up your own company is also a bit meh as you’ve just been given a shedload of cash and not made it,so that’s a sure fire way of burning your cash.

Then the rest dunno.

dudeofdoom

Mrs DoD wouldn’t really approve of Coke and hookers 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Mrs DoD wouldn’t really approve of Coke and hookers 🙁

She shouldn’t knock it till she’s tried it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not denying that I’d end up buying lots of nice “stuff”. But without the effort that would normally expended buying stuff, would buying it actually be fun?

The idea of a Singer 911 is great. You can buy it, drive it down to Sandbanks to go house shopping, have an ice-cream, play some crazy golf, drive home, then what? Buy an E-type, DB4, 250 GTO next week? What would you actually do with it? It’s not like a classic car where you’ve got the underlying hobby of tinkering with it in the evenings.

If I had that sort of practically unlimited funds I’d be getting the train 1st class everywhere, but maybe with a “executive” taxi at the other end rather than a bus 🤣.

Like the story on the last page of the couple who gave significant amounts to charity each year. I think I’d have to make it a job or sorts. A couple of hours a day spent either managing the finances/investing/running companies or working with charities to spend it effectively, maybe do it properly and study for an MBA, do another degree, etc would give life some structure and give a reason to travel arround the country rather than just driving a T6 and riding bikes.

thelawman

Assuming you could put it all into suitable accounts, and get an average interest rate of 1.5% pa, by my maths that’s just shy of £2.8m a year. Or £7600 a day. Better rates are probably available for a big sum like that.
    So you could live very, very comfortably indeed, or do an awful lot of very good things, or both in fact, without ever even touching the capital. Just finding ways to use that sort of money for good purposes would be a job in itself.
    Late night rambling; probably time for bed.

Edit – yes, a good chunk of that would go to tax, but even that is arguably a ‘good cause’ if it’s funding NHS or whatever. But you’d still have a fair whack of the annual interest to see off.

dyna-ti

I dream, look at large yacht vids on you tube, and dream some more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBTFGz-DM6M&ab_channel=FraserYachts

pondo

It’s not like a classic car where you’ve got the underlying hobby of tinkering with it in the evenings.

That, for me, is exactly why I’d have a pimped classic that always starts when you turn the key.

crazy-legs

If I had that sort of practically unlimited funds I’d be getting the train 1st class everywhere, but maybe with a “executive” taxi at the other end rather than a bus 🤣.

With that sort of money you could buy an Anytime First Class Return from Manchester to London!

argee

Yeah, i bet they’re not checking the price per litre at the garages they pass during the week to work out the cheapest for fuel!

Bunnyhop

Hopefully an STW winner would share.
    With a few thousand (not sure of actual numbers) of us, a grand per person wouldn’t even dent the £184 million.
    Maybe extra money for the deserving members eg. gnusmas.

But on a serious note one couldn’t go mtbing, rambling, wild camping or partaking of other outdoor activities on your lonesome, a security person would have to be employed, shudder.

matt_outandabout

I definitely would not go public. I don’t think I would even tell anyone, not even family, of the amount.

Mrs_oab and I discussed keeping enough to modestly live off until we die, and putting the rest into a trust and spending the rest of our life trying to give the money away.

I say that having known someone who does exactly that – made (unexpectedly) millions in business at age 50+. He and his wife just quietly approached organisations and made donations. I also work with another family currently who do this, with a couple of generations of the family quietly working with selected charities and donating under an obscure trust name.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Definitely won’t go public either
    I would keep my house…and buy another in the new forest, VW T5 pimped to the max is a must, and a parktools workshop wall
    Oh and new bikes for all my pals…ill just make out they fell off the back of a lorry…shhhhhh

MoreCashThanDash

I wouldn’t even tell MrsMC!🤣

Speeder

thisisnotaspoon

Not denying that I’d end up buying lots of nice “stuff”. But without the effort that would normally expended buying stuff, would buying it actually be fun?

The idea of a Singer 911 is great. You can buy it, drive it down to Sandbanks to go house shopping, have an ice-cream, play some crazy golf, drive home, then what? Buy an E-type, DB4, 250 GTO next week? What would you actually do with it? It’s not like a classic car where you’ve got the underlying hobby of tinkering with it in the evenings.

Like the story on the last page of the couple who gave significant amounts to charity each year. I think I’d have to make it a job or sorts. A couple of hours a day spent either managing the finances/investing/running companies or working with charities to spend it effectively, maybe do it properly and study for an MBA, do another degree, etc would give life some structure and give a reason to travel around the country rather than just driving a T6 and riding bikes.

How would it ever not be fun. The Singer would be my “daily driver” the D-Type would be for Goodwood and the van for riding days. There’d no doubt be lots of other stuff and I’m well up for all the other charitable and developmental stuff. I’m not a selfish monster.

My concern would be for my kids and how to bring them up as healthy, grounded non-brats. Whether to keep them in the local comp or send them to the internationally regarded local private school where they’d mix with people of similar wealth if not politics. It certainly wouldn’t be easy but it sure would be interesting.

I do think that Camelot try and show winners as grounded “nice” people as a rule and a lot of the Q&A was directed towards that. This couple seemed like pretty good ambassadors for “the brand”.

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.