Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • It could be you!
  • Premier Icon spekkie
    Free Member

There is certainly some truth in the idea that having to struggle to get somewhere makes getting there all the more rewarding – even on our little hikes up in the mountains here we notice it. The view from the top, looking back down to where you started, can be very satisfying . . . .

However, there has to be a way to feel satisfaction without having to (as the cliche goes) spend 9 hrs a day in a factory for 45 years of your life.

I’ve never understood people who say they wouldn’t know what to do with it, or they’d keep working. GET A GRIP OF YOURSELF!

I know that winning a fortune as a youngster would not have been good for me – I’d have wrapped my first supercar around a lamp post or similar. But now, being older and (a little) more sensible, the thought of being in a position to for instance buy a load of land and have yourself a super-size and permanent “no mow May” would surely make you smile? Let people walk on it and enjoy it. Or help fund a couple of trail centres? Or an orphanage? The list of good things you could do is endless…..

Premier Icon molgrips

I would use the money to start businesses that help the disadvantaged and don’t exploit them. That can then grow and develop skills that will improve as many lives as possible. Then you could occupy some of your time by working for/with those businesses and not get bored, but whilst still doing good.

Premier Icon IHN

I’ve never understood people who say they wouldn’t know what to do with it, or they’d keep working. GET A GRIP OF YOURSELF!

TBH, I have this feeling about anyone who continues working after the point at which they no longer, financially, need to. I’ll be stopping work the nanosecond I can afford it.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

As I keep banging on about how many of societies ills are related to lack of good quality, affordable social housing, I’d be keen to put my money where my mouth has been.

Absolutely no idea what my drop in that particular ocean would do mind.

Premier Icon idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Well, it’s been claimed.. That’s the end of my dreaming 😭

Then you could occupy some of your time by working for/with those businesses and not get bored

With that amount of money, believe me, I would never be bored. EVER

Premier Icon northernmatt

As I keep banging on about how many of societies ills are related to lack of good quality, affordable social housing, I’d be keen to put my money where my mouth has been.

I’ve thought about this. I’d buy properties to let out but rather than just pocketing the income I’d put it in a holding account. 2yrs down the line hand that 24months worth of rent back as a mortgage deposit and sell the house to the tenant. Repeat to fade/death/lack of money.

Premier Icon dyna-ti

Well, it’s been claimed.. That’s the end of my dreaming 😭

Alas it’s not a ticket I’d forgotten about and left in my bag :(.

Of course there’s still hope its a close relative or friend 🙂

Premier Icon Speeder

idiotdogbrain
    Euromillions tickets are sort of a version of Schrödinger’s cat – until you check the ticket you both have and haven’t won; checking the ticket just confirms you haven’t.. 🤣

I love the “Schrödinger’s Lottery win” theory. I think I operate on that between getting the email and the winner being announced. It’s quite a delectable thought that it could indeed “be you” no matter how improbable.

It’s not me by the way. Sorry

Premier Icon spekkie
    Free Member

Yep – I occasionally buy a ticket and when I do I deliberately don’t check it for a few days. It’s a nice feeling 🙂

Premier Icon cookeaa

Not me.

The Wife mentioned it this morning, how great it would be. I’m pretty sure it would end in tears and suffering. It’s just too much for me. I can imagine the arguments at home already.

We frequently have the “what if” discussion, my ideas on how to use £150m+ are a bit more mundane than hers, and the conversation usually ends with me saying something like, “The most sensible thing would be to put a big chunk in a trust for the kids, a few tens of millions in a rainy day pot, then we can divide the rest in two and piss it away in whatever way we each deem fit without judgement from the other…”

She’d just give 75% of the whole pot to whichever “good causes” caught her eye, and spend the remainder on one mega holiday.

I would still like to tackle the “problems” that come with having excessive, unearned wealth 🙂

Premier Icon desperatebicycle
    Free Member

I never even won on the “EXTREMELY LOW ODDS!!” days on the Dream Bike Competition, so there’s no way I’m chucking money away on the bleeding lottery.

Premier Icon mert
    Free Member

Yep – I occasionally buy a ticket and when I do I deliberately don’t check it for a few days. It’s a nice feeling

Yeah, i’m bad for this, i do a ten week ticket. Rarely check the results until i log on to do the next ten week ticket. Doesn’t help that the site is blocked at work and i can’t be bothered to do it at home.

One day i’ll win, and carry on working for another 2 months, completely oblivious.

Premier Icon dyna-ti

I think if the euro millions gets up to £150m they should drop the single ticket win to other money maker numbers to create 150+ millionaires.

Premier Icon molgrips

We frequently have the “what if” discussion

There are some serious questions that need answering. For me it always boils down to:

Where do we move to?
    What car?
    What bikes?
    Where and how do we go on holiday?

I’d buy properties to let out but rather than just pocketing the income I’d put it in a holding account. 2yrs down the line hand that 24months worth of rent back as a mortgage deposit and sell the house to the tenant. Repeat to fade/death/lack of money.

We don’t need more home owners, we need a permanent stock of affordable rented housing

Premier Icon pondo

*Lottery fantasy warning* I quite fancy the North Wales coast if our numbers came up – on a corner of the many hundred acres plot of land I would buy, I would build budget, green, low-cost, high efficiency homes and sell them below cost to people from within the postcode. If I can get a clause in the deeds that they can only ever be sold to local folk, I would. I’d do some kind of co-operative business stuff too.

Premier Icon bensales
    Free Member

The trick with friends and family, is apparently to tell them you’ve won, but not how much. Just phrase it as you’re now comfortable. Indicate it’s enough to buy a house, some nice cars and holiday, but not enough to give away to anyone who asks for some.

Then be discreet.

I’d do a Musk, buy Singletrack, and migrate it to some AWS instances that actually have some power.

Premier Icon IdleJon

Then you could occupy some of your time by working for/with those businesses and not get bored

With that amount of money, believe me, I would never be bored. EVER

Things to do list:

Learn to sail.
    Learn to dive, again.
    Buy boat, obviously once the above two are accomplished and after many hours of research and training. Use boat.
    Tour French vineyards buying wine.
    Tour Scottish distilleries buying whiskey. Drink it. (Some of it.)
    Many bike holidays.
    Foreign rugby trips.
    Plant an orchard after hours of research. Rewild the many acres I’ll have bought. Spend time watching the wildlife.
    Have time to surf again.
    Buy a big telescope and get into astronomy again.
    Cook lots of nice food.
    Have time to watch lots of old films.
    Buy lots of guitars and play them lots. Learn other instruments.
    Get drunk in the middle of the day for no reason.
    Ride lots.

Now, this is just off the top of my head, far from exhaustive and doesn’t include time spent buying cars and houses, and the things my family would want to do. I’m fairly sure it would take me a long, long time to get bored, but to start with I think I’d just enjoy eating biscuits and drinking tea while lying on my sofa in my pants at 2.30pm, listening to loud music. Only for a few days. I haven’t got time to waste.

Premier Icon doomanic

I’d spend half on coke and hookers. Then I’d probably waste the rest.

We don’t need more home owners, we need a permanent stock of affordable rented housing

Why? When the post you are commenting on actually helps people get on the property ladder? Renting is dead money and this idea gives people who would never be able to afford a deposit a leg up

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

I see divorce in your future

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

I quite fancy the North Wales coast if our numbers came up – on a corner of the many hundred acres plot of land I would buy, I would build budget, green, low-cost, high efficiency homes and sell them below cost to people from within the postcode.

The problem is that there’s no industry there so the locals don’t actually want to live there as there’s not enough jobs.
    But it’s a nice idea anyway.

Premier Icon CountZero

idiotdogbrain
    Euromillions tickets are sort of a version of Schrödinger’s cat – until you check the ticket you both have and haven’t won; checking the ticket just confirms you haven’t.. 🤣

I love that! When I do the occasional lottery, it’s online, that way I don’t worry about losing a possible winning ticket.

What would I do with a ton of money? Well, I wouldn’t move far, in fact I’d keep my current house and spend money properly upgrading it, with a nice shed/summerhouse with power, and find a plot of land somewhere near/on the coast and have something built, maybe using recycled shipping containers, rather than take an existing home from a local – I’d hate to be a part of the holiday 2nd home problem.

I’d contribute to charities like Air Ambulances and the RNLI, mountain rescue and local search and rescue teams as well.

Surprised they’ve gone public but I don’t know how you’d keep it quiet really, other than waiting a few weeks before discretely collecting the money, work your notice and pretend it was just a couple of million.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I see divorce in your future

Harsh – they actually appear to be a nice couple from how I read the article – the sort of people that might actually do something good with the money.

Premier Icon jamesfts
    Free Member

Well this explains why I’ve had a meeting next week randomly cancelled!

Premier Icon Kryton57

I bet gangsters everywhere have been making notes.

Premier Icon dday

Still rather see 184 people become millionaires, than one person getting more money than most could responsibly manage.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

Harsh – they actually appear to be a nice couple from how I read the article – the sort of people that might actually do something good with the money.

got nothing to do with them, the going form for +100 million winners going public is 100% ending up in divorce and about 80% for sub 100 million winners. It’s common in all lotteries

Premier Icon argee

They’ve got two primary school aged kids, so guessing they’ll stick around for a while, most of the divorces have been in the 50 something couples, or childless couples, so these two have a chance of staying together for a few more years.

They’re just up the road in Gloucester as well, i’m sure they’ll do well with their money and life from now on, but going public means they’ll have to get used to the begging letters for eternity, i know a few other big winners used to just get their mail shipped to solicitors to vet all the begging or nasty letters, hopefully they get some advice on this!

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

the going form for +100 million winners going public is 100% ending up in divorce

Wrong…

Premier Icon poolman
    Free Member

My neighbour won the lottery, 25mn, spiffed it all away on supercars and a stupid footballer style mansion which he never actually moved into. His wife didn’t like it and it’s been empty for 5 years.

Now sold all the cars and moved back into his old house. I suspect his kid got loads of hassle at school. The cars really were bad taste tho, salesman must have been hiding his smile with a mask when he did the deal.

Premier Icon Kryton57

They’ve got two primary school aged kids, so guessing they’ll stick around for a while be hiring a security detail,

FTFY

Premier Icon scruff9252

Surprised they’ve gone public but I don’t know how you’d keep it quiet really, other than waiting a few weeks before discretely collecting the money, work your notice and pretend it was just a couple of million.

Going public at least you break the news on your terms in a friendly news story. It would likely be impossible keeping that sort of step change in wealth secret for long.

A cousin or something would no doubt start blabbing off and before you know it you’ll have the gutter press interviewing a “friend” from school who apparently knew you as “Stoner Steve” as you once took a toke on a splif behind the bike sheds aged 17 or some other bullshit story to discredit you.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

is “gangster” a euphemism for “Leggy Blonde” ?

Premier Icon Sandwich

Why? When the post you are commenting on actually helps people get on the property ladder?

Because cheap social housing keeps other rentiers honest and drives down the cost of renting allowing many more onto the housing ladder if they wish. There’s nothing wrong with renting for all of your life, someone else has the joy of maintaining the property because if you’re on a low income the boiler breaking in your own home (other maintenance disasters are available) could put you out on the street.

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

I know people would work out that something was up when the boat and supercars turn up but there is no way in hell I’d go on the news to announce it.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

It could be you!

I am not a winner.

Bu at work we are donated £1m from Postcode Lottery players this year….
    https://www.postcodelocaltrust.org.uk/apply-for-a-grant/local-school-nature-grants/

I see they are going to fix their leaky roof and can now maybe go on their dream holiday to Hawaii.

Their apparent dullness about wanting to go public is reflected in their aspirations.

I’m so glad they won so much money – if they can’t think of anything to do with it, I hope they at least give a good chunk of it away

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.