Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • It could be you!
  • Premier Icon IHN

It’s not me though, I’ve checked 🙁

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61402635

£184 million quid. That is a lot of money

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I think you need to be in it to win it… I wasn’t. 🙁

Premier Icon slowoldman

I’ve just slapped in an order for a Colnago C64. Only joking.

Premier Icon ta11pau1

You’d be able to buy 2 Santa Cruz bikes with that money!

Premier Icon Drac

It’s not.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

It wasn’t me either.
    I did win £2.60 though (2 numbers). You cannot imagine the plummet from wild hope and dreams to a resigned “oh, OK” when my phone pinged the notification that “I had won a prize” this morning.

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

…yeah, but it wouldn’t make you happy would it! 🙂

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

Not me.

The Wife mentioned it this morning, how great it would be. I’m pretty sure it would end in tears and suffering. It’s just too much for me. I can imagine the arguments at home already.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

Not me either.

At a 1 in 140 million chance it was never likely to be, but we set realistic expectations and have a punt on those pot odds…

It’s probably me, I haven’t checked my ticket yet

It’s just too much for me. I can imagine the arguments at home already.

It would be the perfect amount. Make anyone that you actually like rich, help some good causes, dream house, dream garage, dream holidays, the perfect retirement, without having to worry if you were being TOO frivalous. I’m sure knowing Mrs STR, we’d end up setting up an animal welfare centre

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

It sounds like it would be great to have so much money and no worries ever again, but there are few stories about happy endings.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Wasn’t me either.

Hypothetical pondering that even if you “spent” or saved £34m to make sure friends and family were comfortable, you could do a lot of good with £150m. Is there a charity for needy custom frame makers?

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

£15 here. Better than no 15 quid 😆

But imagine winning such a sum and the impact it would have.

You’ve been doing up the spare room/kitchen/shed with an idea in mind, thought of the future of how it will look, do a good job of it and suddenly £184m drops in your lap.

Everything then changes. The room becomes unimportant. The property, fixtures and fitting of your life, the small treasures you savoured, like a fancy bean to cup coffee machine you saved up for, or the bike you built, saving for each part or hunting it down for the cheapest price again becomes meaningless.

Sure it means a lot to win such a sum, and you can do a great deal to help others, family,friends, charities etc but theres also likely to be a cost, possibly spiritual or even to your personality.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

It sounds like it would be great to have so much money and no worries ever again, but there are few stories about happy endings.

Theory: If you’re the sort of person who would take the publicity option, you’re the sort of person for whom it would end badly…

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Free Member

You would have to be insane, very dumb, or very poorly advised to leave the ‘no publicity’ box unticked on your claim form.

Premier Icon mert
    Free Member

a lot of very insane, dumb and poorly advised people have won the lottery…

… makes for good headlines in the red tops though

I think for some people, they are too thick to comprehend what has just happened, so getting their mug on the front page of the Sun is the icing on the cake for them. Unfortunately these cretins seem to oft be the winners of such amazing piles of dosh

Premier Icon CountZero

As always, those are the stories you hear about, winners who just squandered vast amounts of money on stupid playthings, not unlike some pop stars. You never hear about those who lived a happy life free from stress and worry about rising costs and how they’re going to get through the rest of their lives.

Ring-fencing a significant amount to provide absolute security, then using the rest for helping others would be the ideal – I’d give set amounts every year to certain charity organisations, like RNLI, my local air ambulance, I’d help young aspiring musicians and other artists like dancers with furthering thei careers, health organisations, etc.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

I woke at 1:30 to a text alert from the Lottery on my phone that I had forgotten to mute.
    I had won something and needed to log in to check.
    As usual the Lotterty website was down in the night, checked on the BBC and saw the fact that the winner was from the UK so went back to sleep deciding to work out how to spend it in the morning.
    Right guys, how much coke and hookers can I get for £3.60?

Premier Icon northernmatt
    Free Member
    Premier Icon pondo

Wasn’t me. 🙁 I remember reading years ago a book called Living On The Lottery by Hunter Davies, a really interesting read not only about a handful of peoole who’d scooped the jackpot but also Camelot, how they came to run it and the support winners get. It was from only a few years after it started, and the numbers seemed incredible then – they’re mothing compared to a big Euromillions win!

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ That’s the article I was looking for. A pretty inspirational story really and I love these quotes from her…

“I’d have been a millionaire anyway if I took back all the money I’ve given away over the years.”

Mrs Connolly said winning a huge amount of money might change a person’s life but it does not alter their personality.

“If you’re stupid before you get it, you’re going to be stupid afterwards,” she said.

“If I had any advice for a winner… I’d say money liberates you to be the person that you want to be.”

Premier Icon chrispoffer
    Free Member

northernmatt
    Not me

This is how it should be done https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-61241436

Absolutely spot on. We’re conditioned to remember the numpties that have had lottery publicity over the years but not the nice folk. The Hunter Davies book was an interesting read too.

Love, Chrispoffer. Not a winner. But kindly jealous of those that do manage to win, not snarky xxx.

Premier Icon IdleJon

Theory: If you’re the sort of person who would take the publicity option, you’re the sort of person for whom it would end badly…

Agreed, but, even trying to keep it secret, most people/families would have some problems. I’d imagine that you’d have to be very, very careful about who and how you tell.

Security would be an immediate worry if kids went to school announcing that they were multi-millionaires, and there’s a point where small children won’t keep a secret. Most of my family are very grounded and close-knit but I’d still foresee relationships becoming fairly poor with parts of the family who expect more than they get. And what about close friends who suddenly need money for this emergency? And more money the next week/month? People will know you’ve made lots of money unless you barely spend your money on visible things like houses, cars, holidays.

As an example, I’d want to travel to lots of places to ride bikes. Preferably with friends, who mainly won’t be able to afford all the trips I’ve just planned. So, do I offer to pay for them to go? Do I go solo? Even if I went solo, they’d start questioning where I got the money for the new superbike(s), the new van, the 6 holidays, the lack of any obvious job…

Still, I’d take the millions in a heartbeat!

Premier Icon mert
    Free Member

We had a version of Michael Carroll where i lived in the mid 90’s, nasty little shit with a criminal record as long as your arm, won a few million (4 or 5 IIRC), spent the next few months being an even more insufferable knob until he got sent down for 2 or 3 years for various assaults and burglaries etc.
    By the time he came out his family had spåffed the rest of the cash up various walls in and around the area and he was never seen or heard of again. Except when his name appeared in court records for various shop lifting, drunk and disorderly, the usual…

The only other lottery winner i’ve been in contact with was one of the apprentices, his mum and dad sent him back to work for the last few weeks of his apprenticeship to make sure he got his tickets…

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

Not me sadly, I was going to buy you all new bikes too!

Premier Icon esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I love the way a lot of folk only do the lotteries when the jackpot gets silly, cos 10 million’s not worth bothering. 😂

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Apparently there have been three lottery winners in the village (over the neatly 30 yrars)

One is supposedly one of the Scout leaders, who still works, but has a decent sized property- I’ve never actually asked him if it’s true.

Another supposedly bought the village pub which his son ran successfully for 10-12 years before selling due to ill health.

Another bought a run down 1930s bungalow on a big plot and replaced it with a good size 1990s bungalow, but sold up and moved a couple of years ago.

I also used to deal with a wonderful lady at a local council through work. Mentioned her to a counterpart at another council who was gobsmacked she was still there – he’d worked with her a few years before and she’d had abig Lotto win a few weeks after he’d moved to his new post.

Premier Icon chrismac

It would be a nice problem to have. Beyond all the usual stuff I would look to try and replicate golfie in other parts of the country. Because of the winnings you could buy the land and then set up local groups to run it

Premier Icon thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d be dead long before the giant golden statue of me naked astride J36 of the M6 was completed.

Premier Icon BigJohn

I really enjoy seeing wealthy people having to find more and more expensive ways of making themselves unhappy. For example – Vardy v Rooney.

On the other hand I know two or three multi-millionaires. Solid, grounded chaps. Don’t do anything a lot different from the rest of us and almost seem to have lives as happy as mine. (I’m not wealthy)

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Agreed, but, even trying to keep it secret, most people/families would have some problems. I’d imagine that you’d have to be very, very careful about who and how you tell.

I would just spend the rest of my life traveling, as quietly and anonymously as possible. It’s just that wherever I’d been, deserving people would wake up with their debts paid or their house repairs sorted or the local air ambulance getting their running costs paid for the year.

I’d like to do a series of massive rewilding projects – it’d be very satisfying to buy a load of grouse moorland, turf off the aristos and shooting parties then have thousands of trees planted.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I’d imagine that you’d have to be very, very careful about who and how you tell.

Definitely. I have two brothers (who I love dearly). I’d tell one as I know he would never utter a word to anyone. The other brother would blab it all over within minutes.

Premier Icon pondo

I think staying secretive about it on your travels is easy enough – some tough calls on family, friends and neighbours. Saw a documentary some years back – one big winner bought a relative, say, a £70k house, and another one a £78 house, then had to deal with all the “well, why did you spend more on them?” fallout.

It’s just that wherever I’d been, deserving people would wake up with their debts paid or their house repairs sorted or the local air ambulance getting their running costs paid for the year

Great idea! Rember chatting whdn it first came out with a workmate, he planned to keep an eye on the neighbourhood and do reverse burglaries – if someone went on holiday, he’d break in and fit a new telly, dishwasher, solar panels etc etc. 🙂

Premier Icon idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Euromillions tickets are sort of a version of Schrödinger’s cat – until you check the ticket you both have and haven’t won; checking the ticket just confirms you haven’t.. 🤣

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

^^ 😆

Premier Icon Caher

My enemies would soon know if I won. Last time I won a whopping £75 which bought a lot of Glitter Revenge.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

A friend of mine came into a significant amount of money (not Lottery-winning money but still into the millions) through a business success and within days of him outwardly showing this (new house, two *relatively* modest new cars) the whole village was awash with rumours of him winning the Lottery. The worst bit though was people coming up to him in the street and just outright asking him ‘have you won the lottery’, ‘where did all this money come from’, ‘how much have you got’ etc etc and is already finding himself being asked for financial help from friends. It’s all a bit shocking really.

And the tight sod wouldn’t lend me any either.

Premier Icon mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

You’ve been doing up the spare room/kitchen/shed with an idea in mind, thought of the future of how it will look, do a good job of it and suddenly £184m drops in your lap.

We’ve all been there.

I’d like to do a series of massive rewilding projects – it’d be very satisfying to buy a load of grouse moorland, turf off the aristos and shooting parties then have thousands of trees planted.

I like your style.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.