Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • IT Bods – HO!!! Outlook, autoreplies, sequential numbering
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Digital peeps,

is it possible to set up and email address with an auto repjy that will respond with a sequential number in a certain format,

It’s for hazardous waste consignment notes so it would need the response to contain a number

XXXXYY/12345

either in the header or the text, is this something outlook can manage or would it need developer time?

Had a look on line and couldn’t find anything

TIA

somouk
    Free Member

Never heard of it being done before, would strike me as beyond outlook to do this as well as template responses are pretty basic.

The only option is for them to use the date and time stamp as their reference.

Cougar

What you’re looking at there I think is some sort of automated ticketing / problem management system. It’s similar to what our support helpdesk does; you email support@… and get an autoreply saying “thank you, here’s a reference number,” but that reply is generated by the helpdesk software and it logs a ticket at the same time using the body of the email.

What happens when someone replies to the reply, do they get a new number?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

mebbe, dunno, guess so, it wouldn’t particularly matter TBH, it’s for compliance/traceability rather than any cost allocation so nothing could go wrong as long as it doesnt issue 2 numbers the same and the numbers don’t need to tie in to any sort of central system

Sounds like it’s gonna need a bit of development

Cougar

How is that traceable, what ties the inbound mail to the reply? Ie, if someone contacted you about consignment XXXXY/12345, how would you isolate it? Timestamps?

If I had to do it your way, I think I’d be looking at a Linux box running an SMTP server, and a bit of perl or python or something to generate the emails. Probably trivial to someone who knew what they were doing but it’d be a week of Googling for me.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The codes don’t need to be tracelable from the inbox but the codes generated would be used to track the waste from the site to the waste contractor. They just need a unique identifier.

But yeah, I think need a python with STD’s or something. Will copy and paste waht you’ve posted to out IT bods cos I don’t know what it means 🙂

Thanks Cougar

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘IT Bods – HO!!! Outlook, autoreplies, sequential numbering’ is closed to new replies.