Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • It appears I could have a job……
  • gnusmas

Not something I thought of at the moment, or even a role I had contemplated. A friend put my name forwards to them as it might help me and them. Went up this morning to see them, have to go back tomorrow to meet the manager again and the area coordinator. If I get it I would start in September after the holidays.

It’s 16.5 hours a week, every morning and Thursday afternoon during term time only. This would mean I wouldn’t need to arrange childminders during holidays and still gives me 4 afternoons free every week. Sounds good so far. The downside, if you can call it a downside, its working in a pre school nursery. Basically, I get rid of my kids to school and entertain other people’s kids instead lol.

fadda

That sounds promising mate – how’s it making you feel…?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nice! Be ready to catch everything known to mankind thanks to the little disease vectors 😁
    I’m sure you’ll have a great time. Well done.

IdleJon

All good. Except the bit about other people’s children. 😁

maccruiskeen

Sounds ideal (even if it is a busman’s holiday)

The best thing you can do to improve a child’s future prospects is to be an example of kindness. And you’ve got loads of that.

gnusmas

How’s it making me feel? Been trying to figure that out. Youngest turns 5 in May and my current income support claim would end then meaning I would need to find work anyway. Just pondering if I should bite the bullet and go for it now (if I get offered the job) while it’s there. Very rare does a job come along during term time and school hours, outside a teachers role.

If I’m honest, the thing that’s bothering me the most is being among happy parents. Don’t mean that in a horrible way and probably won’t make sense to many people. I know I deal with it every day anyway, but having to do it regardless of how I might feel on any random day and be chirpy with the kids is what’s scaring me.

I know I have to start somewhere though and this seems to be a good stepping stone to me not being a recluse anymore. Thanks for the positive and kind words too.

dirkpitt74

Nice one.
    I’d say go for it if you can.
    You might find being around other people and kids actually lifts your mood.

spawnofyorkshire

And if any of them are little shits you can just hand them back to their parents at the end of your shift and feel superior about your own kids being better

gonefishin
    Free Member

Don’t mean that in a horrible way and probably won’t make sense to many people.

It makes perfect sense to anyone who knows your situation. As other have said it may not be the worst thing in the world.

croe
    Free Member

Go for it, it might end up being the job of your dreams and I can’t see what you have to lose even if it doesn’t work out. No point waiting for something else to come along, it might not for a long time and it’s easier to find another job when you already have one if that time should come.

fadda

It seems to me that your nervousness is entirely normal, and a sensible way to feel about any new job, under any circumstances. It just shows that you’ve taken it seriously, and thought about it.

Fwiw, I agree with some of those above, who say it may actually be a helpful thing, maybe help level your own moods, to be dealing with those other parents (and kids generally are ace at that, anyway…)

I reckon you’ll be a damn fine influence on them, and you’ll be absolutely grand – you have loads of support here, if you need it!

edhornby

little kids like that are peasy, they even have a snooze in the day 🙂 (as you’re a dad you know the hilarity of this joke)

more importantly, there is a real lack of blokes who work in pre-school education so your skills would be valued. As it’s half days even if you’re not having your best day you’d be able to handle a morning.

Good luck mate, but I’d say go for it. If it doesn’t work out then try something else.

toby1

…is being among happy parents

I wouldn’t assume that’s a given, although their problems may seem small compared to your own experiences.

Worst case scenario? Sounds like you could give it a try and move on if it doesn’t suit you?

funkrodent

Good for you mate. Always good to have people around you who value you, are rooting for you and putting things your way.

As others have said maybe something like this which is comparative baby steps (pun intended) is a good way to kick things off. It turns out to not be for you then no harm done, but could actually be a door opening into something new!

loum
    Free Member

Good luck and Go for it.
    Will post more reasoning later.

matt_outandabout

Good news! Let us know how it goes..

timmys

more importantly, there is a real lack of blokes who work in pre-school education so your skills would be valued.

What he said – as a ‘customer’ of a nursery I would bloody love it if my kids were exposed to more then precisely 0% male caregivers.
    The nursery should also value the fact you are not going to get pregnant yourself which seems to afflict the vast majority of people who work in the nursery I use!

Bunnyhop

This is good news, I hope you get the job.

Your concerns are perfectly understandable and totally normal in your situation.

As above take the job, give it a good go and if it doesn’t work out then at least you tried.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Well done for getting this far. Don’t under-estimate how your experiences might make you a better candidate and hopefully, carer. Good luck in whatever you decide.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

It’s another step forward from where you were, something to occupy your mind and hopefully be amongst some happiness that should also help longer term.
    Go for it and see how it goes, good luck…..

funkmasterp

Top news Alan. Really chuffed for you and you should definitely go for it

Sandwich

You’ll be great masculine positive role model for both girls and boys in the school. A small but significant change in your part of the world.

theotherjonv

Do it – what have you to lose and you will make a real positive impression on the kids, parents and the other workers, because thinking about how you manage is uplifting in itself. I know you don’t think it but you are an inspiration, so go and inspire some real (little) people rather than the bunch of imaginary argumentative sheisters that inhabit here.

not going to get pregnant yourself which seems to afflict the vast majority of people who work in the nursery I use!

humblebrag.

rossburton
    Free Member

Sounds ideal. As you say, jobs that you can fit around young kids are few and far between and you’d be an awesome role model. Worst case: you hate it, you can leave.

Ambrose

Well done mate. Just being offered the job must be a real boost to your self esteem. And if it doesn’t work out (doubtful in my mind) you’ll have gained a bit of experience anyway.

TiRed

I loved my kids preschool nursery. Parents had to provide some free labour as part of the deal. So I used to take annual holiday specifically to do my morning every three to four months. It’s just ace. You’ll love it. Except washing out the paint pots. And you will have to!

theotherjonv

Except washing out the paint pots.

Never worked in a nursery but have kids, teenagers now. #flashback #thanksabunch

senorj

Go for it. You clearly are suitable for the role or they wouldn’t have considered you. Good for you.
    My missus is taking on a role in our local school – hoping to retrain – her(our) attitude is “who knows where it can take you” – with the support of a good school and Head re further training and development. See how it goes.
    At least with small ones you can just put them in the cupboard under the stairs …right?
    🙂

gnusmas

Thanks again all, really encouraging and nice to know everyone thinks I should go for it. Didn’t sleep too good last night, over thinking things like I was most of yesterday. Probably no need for it at all. Its another ‘new normal’ thing I know I have to do at some point.

I did ask yesterday if a tazer will be provided for child control or do I need to bring my own. They laughed and thought that was a great idea, at least they have a sense of humour.

gnusmas

An update for you all, just had an email through. I didn’t get the job, they want someone with more experience with younger children.

Oh well, there we go then.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Just a cautionary note;

From personal experience just watch out for back stabbing petty minded assistants with very little brain, one such person has cost me my job as a teacher although the NASUWT are backing me in taking them to court for unfair dismissal.

tthew

I didn’t get the job,

Their loss! Has this given you an appitite for work though?

croe
    Free Member

Unlucky, but don’t be too down about it – use the experience of the process for the next time!

I always try and take the view with job rejections that if they thought you were not right for them, then chances are they wouldn’t have been right for you either – so nothing lost at the end of the day.

matt_outandabout

A shame Alan – we need more men, and folk with attitude like yours in early years…

So, are you still looking for EY post?

funkrodent

Mate, sorry to read about that. However, don’t be too downhearted. At the end of the day they viewed you as a serious and credible candidate. This means that they considered you to be capable of doing the job to the standard required. The fact that in the end they decided they wanted someone with more direct experience is no reflection on you, or your ability. Job hunting is always a case of dealing with a bit of adversity, the important thing being that you can move forward knowing you’ve come across well and take that into the next opportunity

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Sorry to hear you didn’t get the job. But take the positives from the experience. You hadn’t thought about going back to work before this opportunity dropped in to your lap. From your updates it seems like you are getting ready to make that jump and other people around you see the positive impact you could have in a workplace.

gnusmas

Thanks for the feedback.

True, I wasn’t looking for work at the moment and this just happened to be an opportunity mentioned to me. I went into it not expecting anything, I won’t lie, it has knocked me a bit. I guess I’m a bit more mentally fragile than I thought. Not as bad this morning but still a bit meh about it.

On the flip side, I suppose I’ve done it. It’s the first step of something ‘new’ I would have to do at some point. Been thinking maybe college to retrain in something else possibly? It’s never too late, right?

tthew

It’s never too late, right?

Definitely! Maybe a skill you could start small at your own pace to suit current kids workload and let it expand naturally with time.

My missis did Beauty Therapy a few years ago, that’d work well. 🤣

easily
    Free Member

Hard luck gnusmas.

Don’t take it personally – there could be a hundred reasons why they chose to give it to someone else. They seriously condsidered you, which means they believed you were capable of the job.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘It appears I could have a job……’ is closed to new replies.