Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Issues with KMC chains?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Anyone else had issues with KMC chains (on xt m8000 group set). Chain right length, relatively new, derailleur indexing and chain line correct (or at least no noises and perfect shifting), yet it’s snapped three times in the last two weeks (twice today). The snaps been in different places each time as I’ve fixed with missing links each time, and not occurred when under pressure or shifting. May well just be bad luck but can’t help thinking must be a dodgy chain.

JohnnyPanic

I think you can get a dodgy chain from any manufacturer.
    I’ve been running KMC on 10 & 9 speed setups for years without any issues( that weren’t attributable to me forgetting to allow for suspension growth…)

slowboydickie

I’ve had that twice on my 11sp XT. My chain is the EL version which is a bit lighter (read weaker).

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Personally never got on with kmcees. They rust quick too!

ferrals
    Free Member

Sbd, same chain here. Maybe doesn’t gel to well with the xt 11sp

deadkenny
    Free Member

preciousmetals – Member
    Personally never got on with kmcees. They rust quick too!

You’re not riding enough 😛 and/or not applying lubricant 😉

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Will be fitting 11sp XT this week and have a KMC chain to fit, now going to be paranoid even though I’ve never had an issue with their chains before!

doubledunter
    Free Member

Been running kmc chain with 1×11 xt setup, only problem I have is disconnecting the kmc link, ended up buying KMC missing link remover, never had the problem before, apart from that its been fine.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yes
    Been using KMC chains for years with no issues, various combos of 8,9 and 10 1/2/3x speed
    Built new bike up 11 speed and chain broke on 2nd ride out,2 links literally disintegrated at the same time, not even under any great pressure (JRA!), snapped straight through the links
    Next ride out and same happened again
    When I took chain off and inspected it there was about 12 more links all with hairline fractures forming, on both inside and outside plates
    I thought it could be stress fractures from the extreme chainline but a few people dismissed that, anyway the guy I got it off replaced it under warranty with a SRAM chain that has been fine ever since
    General opinion was it was maybe from a dodgy batch of chains
    It was one of their mid range chains, not the cheapest but not the fancy hollow pin ones

OP I would recommend removing your chain, giving it a good clean and inspecting it, I bet there are a load of hairline fractures just waiting to go

And yes the quick links are a bugger to remove on 11 speed, probably why they say they are not reusable

mrlebowski
    Free Member

KMC on 3 x 9 & 2 x 10 with no dramas here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Issues with KMC chains?’ is closed to new replies.