Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Classic Ride 143 – Scar House Loop, Nidderdale
  • barney
    Free Member

A truly Classic day out with big views, plenty of miles, and legendary Scotch eggs. Words & Photography Barney Marsh The Yorkshire Dales have been …

By barney

Get the full story on our front page at:

Classic Ride 143 – Scar House Loop, Nidderdale

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

Jordan

Practicaly on my doorstep but never ridden there to my shame. Always planned to do a route over the hill from Coverdale but never got round to it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If you do Jordan, do the bit by the caravan park, lead mines and through to Greenhow Hill the other way round.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

rode it a few years ago, the descent to scarhouse was fun, but alot was just rubble track, nothing exciting,
    popped over to horsehouse, which was meant to be a good sidetrip, it had been sanitised.

euan

Did this main loop yesterday afternoon after 2 days of heavy rain, missed the last quarry bit as ran out of time .

A good route for all year riding definitely, as all rideable and not too soggy, even the bit mentioned on NE of Gouthwaite Reservoir. Not too techy, descent to Scar House the best bit from that respect, but a great loop on mainly bridleway / track with some fabulous views. Off the roads saw the grand total of 0 other MTBers, 4 walkers and 2 Farmers in 4×4’s – so the lack of excitement probably a good thing given was out on my own. Used a 130 full suss which was ideal, could be done on a hardtail I guess but you’d need a harder ass than mine !!

Thanks for publishing and putting on Komoot 👍

euan

PS – the Butchers is as good as mentioned – Pork and Stilton Pie saved for Scar House was amazing !

saj91

I’ve done this ride several times in all weathers, its simply a great ride with fantastic views, even when the rain is horizontal and the temperature is barely above freezing!

blackhat
    Free Member

Special to me as it was my second ever MTB ride, on a borrowed hard tail, 100mm of travel forks and v brakes.

martinhutch

It’s a good ride for the amount of rainfall we’ve been having. Very little stuff which can get boggy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.