Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Issue 140 (STW Mag)
  • footflaps

Is there not a thread already for this?

Anyway, just opened it and what an amazing cover – has to be the best one yet!

thepurist

<mandatory response>

There’s a magazine?

</mandatory response>

Not had mine yet – come on postie, I’m gonna need something to fill the days now I’ll be wfh

northernremedy

PDF download not working 😢

stwhannah

@footflaps I think you can claim the first sighting in the wild! Glad you like the cover.

We’d love to hear any thoughts below on what’s inside too, or email editorial@ if you prefer.

stumpy01

My copy arrived today, but not opened it yet….might have to take a gander now….

johnnystorm

Mine arrived today as well. Agree it’s a fantastic cover photo. Quite a lot of drop bar action too… 😮

bruneep

yeah well can’t download the PDF version as its borked

footflaps

We’d love to hear any thoughts below on what’s inside too, or email editorial@ if you prefer.

Not got that far yet, cats to milk, hedgehogs to herd etc. But the cover photo and minimalist front cover text etc is just sublime. Did spot the drop bar bikes though, quite keen to read that 🙂

jam-bo

I only read it to confirm the validity of my recent bike purchase…(focus atlas)

footflaps

Well I really enjoyed “Drop Bars For Mountain Bikers” last night – impressed to see that Andi actually bought one to see what all the fuss is about and enjoyed reading about his epiphany 😉 As someone with no particular religious attachment to acoustic mountain biking, I’m more than happy to read about Gravel Bikes, ebikes etc. In fact, the more variety the better…

singletrackandi

@jam-bo good choice on the Focus Atlas. Mine has become more of a MTB though since that review. I’ve changed the wheels, running different tyres, added a dropper (which you prob saw in the review) and I’ve got a suspension fork on it. Such a great bike.

@footflaps
    Mate, it has probably been the best £1600 I’ve spent on a bike, its great to get out at lunch for an hour though I do need some mudguards for it now.

footflaps

@singletrackandi My gravel bike (Spesh Diverge) is more a winter road set up with fat road tyres and full mudguards. Still use it on BWs etc, but obviously speeds are a bit constrained by the lack of knobbles on the tyres….

Yak

Only just skimmed it as my son has pinched it. Yeah, great cover. Also it has tyres, lots of tyres. Can’t tire of tyres.

Yak

@footflaps – what mudguards are you running please?

singletrackandi

@yak if you like tyres, then you might be interested I’m testing a bunch of mud tyres as we speak. For my own channel of course 😉

jam-bo

@singletrackandi mine is stock apart from tubeless conversion and some modifed SKS AL56’s. i think it’ll stay that way.

footflaps

@footflaps – what mudguards are you running please?

SKS fat ones – can fit 32mm road tyres under them with space. I mainly ride in groups, so need mudgaurds otherwise the person behind gets covered in shit. Downside is that if the BW is a certain stickiness of mud it just packs under the mudguard and you have to stop and clean it out with a stick – so we generally avoid trails in that condition.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mPHsdo]Specialized Diverge[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mPCTmA]The wrong mud Grommet![/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Yak

Haha – I’ll be all over that. 🙂

singletrackandi

@jam-bo nice! I took mine to Llandegla a few months ago, super fun trying to keep up with MTB riders on the rough stuff. Should easily be able to keep up now with the dropper and fork 😂 but still useable for long-distance and exploring. Quite fancy giving bike packing a go in the summer too.

Yak

Looks good footflaps. Was thinking maybe the one up – sks speedrocker for bigger tyres.

jam-bo

IME so far, it’s really easy to get it out of its depth really fast. everything is fun and then suddenly it really isn’t and you’re on your arse.

be interesting in the summer when its a bit drier. I’ve only had mine since the beginning of november.

jam-bo

Was thinking maybe the one up – sks speedrocker for bigger tyres.

I can recommend the SKS AL’s, if you don’t mind getting handy with a hacksaw/drill…

they didnt fit well through the fork bridge but the focus has threaded mounts front and rear, so I cut them in half and used some old SKS brackets to mount.

Rear fitted straight away but was a bit long and bounced on the wheel, so I shortened it by ~20cm. not great for group riding but I rarely do that.

jamj1974

Some great pictures that really capture the essence of Skye!

singletrackandi

@jam-bo took my Atlas to Llandegla yesterday 👍👍

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXbuvQkl5oO/

duncancallum

Love the ratboy article

Cougar

Just got mine.

That cover photo is an absolute stunner isn’t it. STW are missing a trick if they don’t offer it up as a print.

IdleJon

Well I really enjoyed “Drop Bars For Mountain Bikers” last night – impressed to see that Andi actually bought one to see what all the fuss is about and enjoyed reading about his epiphany

I didn’t notice it when I flicked through but there are two articles about gravel bikes in the mag. TWO! And, even worse, the first is about gravel bikes with motors on a CTC approved cycle path. If this carries on there’ll be more articles about gravel bikes than about Scotland. Soon, the whole magazine will be filled with e-gravel bikes trips through Scotland. I’m complaining to my MP! Where’s that green pen?

(I’m enjoying the mag so far, but I’m only three articles in and there’s time to change my mind. :D)

jam-bo

took my Atlas to Llandegla yesterday 👍👍

just because you can, doesn’t mean you should… 😉

stwhannah

Thought I’d drop this survey link in here – if you read Issue 140 we’d like to hear what you thought!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Issue 140 (STW Mag)’ is closed to new replies.