Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Issue 136 Feedback
  • stwhannah

As per the suggestion from @Bikesandboots here’s a thread to tell us what you think about the latest issue, which should be landing in print form any moment (and is already out in digi format). I usually eagerly await the starting of a thread about the mag as I want to see what people think – I’m not sure why I’ve never just started one before!

It’s landed at the office, I haven’t actually seen it yet, both Amanda and I are feeling a little anxious about whether it’s all going to be inside out and back to front in a bad way. There was actual cutting out and sellotape involved in the figuring out of this issue!

duncancallum

Pdf format is a little odd…

But that maybe my phone

stwhannah

@duncancallum odd how? It seems ok on my phone.

In case anyone was in any doubt as to how invested we get with work, Amanda just called me in tears because she’d gone in to the office to check the mag and she’s got the flip right and it worked!

monkeyboyjc

.pdf format looks fine on my phone after a quick flick through 👍

Beagleboy

Postman only delivered a flyer for the local Indian takeaway today. Still waiting on the mag. Will let you know what it’s like when it arrives and once I’ve riffled through the pages and taken in that lovely thick paper aroma you guys spray on it.

tthew

Postman only delivered a flyer for the local Indian takeaway today.

Ooh, review please! 😁 You must have a posh Indian if they get the Royal Mail to send out their menus.

duncancallum

@stwhannah

The page numbers dont match the pdf numbers If you know what inmean.

Chipps editorial is mid page

Mark

That’s because half the print mag is flipped upside down, which is fine for a physical mag you can turn 180 degrees but would be a royal pain in the arse for anyone trying to read it on a device or a screen. So for the digital version the flipped half of the mag had to be flipped back and in order to keep the reading order that means Chipps editorial, which is at the start of the retro end of the mag ends up in the middle.. You follow? 🙂

chipps

It was hard enough trying to proofread half the mag upside down without your explanation, Mark… 🤪

basically there are two half issues in one and in the printed mag, half of it is upside down. To add to that there are two page 5, two of page 6 etc. It was quite pointlessly hard… 😄

Mark

So to make things worse, there’s only 71 pages?

duncancallum

Ahhh

DavidB
    Free Member

The cover print was exceptional and I commend the decision to depict a woman as the main image rather than the usual male stereotype.

Riksbar

Like the new packaging as well, simple to open, the magazine arrived intact (all the way to Burnley!) and easily recycled.

fabs

I’m recovering from dental surgery. I am full of painkillers and feeling awful. I thought I would have a flick through the magazine and try to relax. My mind is completely scrambled now!

sv

How long for the kindle issue? Waiting on the print copy too but when it arrives it is stolen by 2 of my son’s so can be a week before I see that 😅🙈

bikesandboots

@stwhannah I’m not following the controversy in either forum about the existence of a private forum, but in hindsight about my idea in the other thread:

* Routine topic per issue for any discussion/feedback about it

I see no advantage to it being private, and only see advantages of it being in the public forum. The thread would give more visibility to the existence of the magazine and could pique the interest of would-be subscribers.

You could routinely start such a thread a few days before the subscription deadline:
    “Issue 123 – the lockdown one / the 20th year anniversary one / the one where X etc.”
    In the opening post put a link to (or embed) the content summary (https://singletrackworld.com/shop/issue-135-2/) and include that “days left to subscribe” countdown widget.

icic
    Free Member

Couldn’t get out the bath, I was enjoying what I was reading too much!

Don’t normally read it tbh as I don’t make the time to.

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I’m quite looking forward to this magazine arriving. Partly because reading it sounds like watching a Christopher Nolan movie.

noshki

I’ve got it sitting in front of me but don’t know where to start. Is it the end of the magazine I’m about to begin or am I starting at the end? Thought I’d look on the forum for advice. Think the spine print gives a clue, or is it a trap?

MoreCashThanDash

I see no advantage to it being private, and only see advantages of it being in the public forum. The thread would give more visibility to the existence of the magazine and could pique the interest of would-be subscribers.

Definitely this. The mag, in paper or digital form, really needs duscussing/promoting on the main forum to encourage new subscribers.

Though I know this tends to attract a lot of folk who like to remind everyone how they stopped subscribing in 2014 as they didn’t like the font on page 23….

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Don’t normally read it tbh

^This, but thoroughly enjoyed the issue. It felt like a classic issue and had much more substance and variety than the usual travelogue articles. Great job guys, hoping for more eclectic range of articles in the future 👍

vondally
    Free Member

Downloaded a PDF for the first time, asi am off work sick, and the the paper version arrived.
    Really liked
    Covers…far better than the lockdown one a few months back.
    Positive images of femAle riders, always a debate in house from so and daughter, so well done.
    Liked the editorials…good to look forward
    The future article pete scullion, really enjoyed.
    Highlight New Zealand ride…..😀

Bike tests okay.

Overall enjoyed it.

tthew

Kiwi Beervet – superb. 👍 The comical writing far more engaging than the usual dry descriptions of epic rides. Sounds like a great event to boot.

MrOvershoot

@stwhannah

You know what I’ve actually got a week off for once so apart from outdoor activities I’m going to really give it a good critical read!
    Just be glad my father isn’t with us these days as he was a technical editor of many scientific journals and could reduce me to tears with his red biro appraisal of any of my written work.
    I really miss him though, as well as being my father he was pretty much my best mate. He’s even got his own Wikipedia page!

MoreCashThanDash

Kiwi Beervet – superb. 👍 The comical writing far more engaging than the usual dry descriptions of epic rides. Sounds like a great event to boot.

One of the most entertaining articles I’ve read for a while. Rest of the mag is very good – a couple of articles on things I’m not personally that interested in, but happy to accept they’ll appeal to others.

Pook

Really enjoyed it, and do love the move to recognise the forum more again. This has always been the heart of STW for me

vmgscot

Just discovered this Members Forum… I wasn’t too fussed about the whole upside down thing nor the cover TBH. Felt a bit gimmicky for my tastes. Sorry

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Issue 136 Feedback’ is closed to new replies.