Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • ISM saddles
  • granny_ring

Want to give one of these a try on the mtb so see if they would be more comfy for the under carriage.
    Guess there are some on here using them, any feedback on them?
    They are a bit spendy so looking at 2nd hand perhaps. Unless….anyone has a spare one a can borrow for some beer coupons or donation to a charity?
    Thanks.

grizedaleforest

I’ve got one of these ISM PR 1 on my road and mtb bikes. Until you get used to them they feel really weird. On a mountain bike I suspect you might feel you have less control on your body position than with a conventional saddle. I don’t ride hard mtb so not a problem for me.

You need to be able to position the seat further back than you normally would so that the sit bones are on the prongs. I find that if I get tired and sit more upright on the bike I tend to slide back a bit – the prongs then rub on the inner thighs which is uncomfortable.

iainc

I have them on all my bikes. I swopped over to them about 6 years ago before going for prostate surgery as I’d read some really good reports about them in, I think, Cycling Weekly.

As mentioned, setup is the key – the ISM website has got really good setup guide videos and you really need to follow them to the letter, however ‘weird’ it may look. First few rides your sit bones will likely ache afterwards for a bit, then they get used to it. I haven’t looked back since about my 4th ride and find them great for all day comfort.

fadda

A colleague has one on her commuting bike and swears by it as the only saddle that doesn’t upset her undercarriage. Not sure if you’d have similar or different undercarriage, so ymmv.

It difficult with saddles, as everyone is shaped differently, I like the specialized “hire before you buy” arrangement…

pipiom
    Free Member

One numbness episode and I changed every bike’s saddle including static. No further issues 🤞

Totally agree with IainC above: set-up is key, but once that’s done, it’s perfect.

13thfloormonk

The distributer Upgrade does a try before you buy scheme

https://www.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/ISM/ISM-Range/Left-Menu-and-Pages/Left-Menu/Demo-Saddles

When I tried it was £90 to ‘buy’ the saddle, but they would accept it back no quibbles if you didn’t like it. Have no idea what happens if you try to keep the £90 saddle though!

I bought one to demo but then found a Bontrager Aeolus seemed to cure my issues for a lot less money and weight (£45 RRP and ‘normal’ saddle weight rather than ISM money and weight).

That said, I’m now getting a wee issue in the perineal area which I think is related to pressure on that bit of the sit bone creating a little cyst or nodule, only painful when I sit directly on it. Ironically I think it’s because the Bontrager design allows me to rotate my hips further forward which feels great but probably introduces pressure where it’s not supposed to be.

I think ISM seats would support me further back and relieve pressure on that spot, so I could end up demo-ing one again, d’oh!

i_like_food

Loved them on my TT bike, hated them on my road and MTB. Just like marmite it seems so def worth trying before printing on a full price one, I’d get a tatty second hand one and experiment.

PS set-up is important, it’s not like a normal saddle. Check the ISM website for tips.

footflaps

Loads on Ebay, lots of people try different saddles, don’t get on with them and sell them on. I sold an ISM one only the other week, went for £40 IIRC.

granny_ring

Thanks for info folks.

Monk – Cheers I’ll contact them but according to their info I need a pr or pm saddle for off road?
    I’ll keep eyes peeled for second hand too.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’m selling one
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303732046526
    Yours for £25 posted if you want it?

iainc

PM is the MTB one, used to be called Peak.

mick_r

I use PL 1.1 40 for mtb, cx and road. Spendy but having settled on this one not inclined to faff experimenting with anything else. As above – use the demo options.

Just stick to the solid steel rails – I’ve snapped one of the fancier hollow rail ones (at 63kg it is the only saddle I’ve ever broken!).

unclesomebody
    Free Member

I have an ISM Peak which I used on my commuting and “gravel” bike. Most comfy saddle I’ve ever had and I don’t know why its in a draw not being used anymore. It is the only saddle I’ve ever had which didn’t give me ANY numbness or comfort issues and I was happy to ride 200km/day on it.

I subsequently did a full saddle test with at least 7 different saddles on my road bike and none of them remove numbness entirely. I ended up with an SMP on my road bike which is good but in a different way.

On my mtb I’ve ended up with an SQ Lab 611 after a string of other popular models. I find them all pretty bad for numbness. The SQ Lab one is better than the rest but again, not perfect.

The ISM Peak just seemed to put all the pressure right into your sit bones and thus it was extremely comfortable once you’d gotten over the first few rides. If you want to try mine then send me a PM and you can borrow it. I’d quite like it back though.

granny_ring

Sorry folks been busy last few days. Thanks for info.
    Shed, I would have gone for that thanks for that offer.
    Uncle, if the offer still stands that would be great thanks I’ll msg you now.

Where’s the cheapest place to buy these new?
    Cheapest PR saddle I’ve seen is around £110.
    Thanks again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ISM saddles’ is closed to new replies.