Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Isle of Wight – Singletrack?
  • steve17
    Free Member

Hi

Visiting the island for a few days next week and hoping to try some singletrack.

I know there are loads of open trails looking out to the Solent. But really looking for tight, twisty singletrack through the trees.

Have heard of Brighstone and found at least one decent trail with some wooden bits last year.

Anything else anyone would recommend?

Many Thanks

mccett
    Free Member

There are at least 3 really good singletrack descents that have been put into Brighstone – have a look off the Tennyson trail on the solent side and also up from Black hut along the bottom of the forest. If you have a couple hours just take a fire road up and keep looking off into the woods once they flatten out at the top. Its the best endurance training spot i’ve found – fast dh with steady climbs between them. Great little riding area.

chojin
    Free Member

Good luck visiting next week with the festival in full swing :/

flap_jack
    Free Member

America woods. Cheeky but good.

Wally

I can email you the map of yesterdays 100K / 75K / 50K BHF route.Email in profile.

bigyinn
    Free Member

There is singletrack, but you need to know where to look. Bright forest is good, America woods ok, but not much, Borthwood (Queens Bower) also ok. Try to meet up with a local and get them to show you….. 😉

steve17
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes my daughter and her friends are going to the festival. So I thought I would sneak off on the bike!

Thanks Wally for the offer of 100k maps but thats a bit out of my league.

Think I will just explore Brighstone, sounds as if there are a good few trails there.

Someone else mentioned Parkhurst Forest.

Anyway thanks again everyone.

chaos

Let us know how you find it. I’m also there tomorrow for a few days although I can only get out after work.

I’ll have a look at your suggestions Bigyinn. It might be a mission getting across from Ryde to Brighstone if the Islands busy.

bigyinn
    Free Member

chaos, i live in ryde. If you fancy an evening tour drop me a mail.

chaos

Thanks, I’ll see how things pan out tomorrow and be in touch.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Brighstone Forest has the best bits.

My local loop is around Parkhurst Forest – not much more than an hour’s worth though, and there are a few dead ends.

Firestone Copse/Briddlesford Copse and Combley Great Wood also have some decent techy woodland singletrack although it’s all quite small-scale.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Firestone copse comes with LOTS of roots and is pretty good fun, BUT it comes with a dogshit warning! Lots of people tend to empty their dogs around there, so be careful around the immediate vicinity of the carpark!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Wight – Singletrack?’ is closed to new replies.