Isle of Wight Refunds

Home Forum Chat Forum Isle of Wight Refunds

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Isle of Wight Refunds
  • Premier Icon totalshell
    Subscriber

first world problems..

csb

The organiser of the IoW festival said on the radio he’d give refunds, so a lot of people went home again. He later retracted this offer and said no refunds would be paid.

Would trading standards/small claims hold him to his earlier word?

csb

Err, we are in the first world aren’t we?

Sorry, hadn’t realised STW had been relaunched as a platform solely for discussion of 3rd world issues. Please see my alternative what tyre thread for subsistence travel across the African savannah.

csb

Of course, your thread on the index linking of Mrs Totalshells Tesco pension fully qualifies as one a 3rd world reader will identify with. 😆

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

totalshell – Member
    first world problems..

What a useless reply to a reasonable question. Trying to be funny or clever and failing.

DezB – Member

What a useless reply to a reasonable question. Trying to be funny or clever and failing.

Just typical STW sub-Guardian level snarky bullsh*t.

csb

Any armchair legal bods have an opinion on the original question?

cynic-al

Dunno. It’s a pretty unusual situation. IIRC you can’t form a contract by speaking to the public at large (e.g. an advert can’t be taken to be an offer and so can’t form a contract in the offer/acceptance way), so it may not be possible to make changes to many contracts in the same way. At the same time, he’s said it, people may have relied upon that, so estoppel may may mean he can’t retract it. Or something.

dogbert

pretty hard to refute that he offered people refunds then recinded them, i think he’ll be held to it

Going home from a festival because of a bit of mud? The ferries carrying the hipsters back to the mainland should be sunk.

don simon

Good here, innit?

grum

He said something about refunds which I think referred to a reported case of someone waiting 13 hours in a queue. Did he make a general offer to give refunds to everyone?

Whereas this is what exactly? A constructive, insightful and/or amusing contribution to the thread?

mrlebowski

“A verbal contract is not worth the paper it written on..”

Someone once said..

csb

On Friday morning (Telegraph admittedly):

Festival promoter John Giddings asked those who never made it to send their tickets back.
    “If someone has suffered that, that’s outrageous, I don’t think I should keep their money,” he said.

On Saturday (IoW local rag):

Isle of Wight Festival organisers have this morning (Saturday) confirmed they will not be giving refunds to ticket holders who got stuck in traffic.

A spokesman said the way things worked out everyone could get into the Seaclose site and everything was now working smoothly.

IIRC you can’t form a contract by speaking to the public at large (e.g. an advert can’t be taken to be an offer and so can’t form a contract in the offer/acceptance way),

Ok, confused, as I though that the basis of the Carbolic Smoke Ball case was that you could?

hora

Was the conversation/offer recorded?

“You said it on the radio”

No I didn’t say exactly that. Prove it.

cynic-al

Well remembered Zulu…was that a promise tho?

cynic-al

It was indeed a contract. Not sure it’s entirely relevant, not that I have the answer to the OP!

bigyinn

For once i have to say the ferries were not at fault. Complete lack of anticipation on the organiser’s part. Clearly the ground was going to be soft. Yet no boards to protect the main routes through the site were provided.
    The main town on the island was completely gridlocked and people slept in their cars.
    I’d probably have stuck with waiting as it was pretty much sorted out by Friday lunchtime.
    The rain is back, so it’ll be fun and games tomorrow when people go home…..

zimbo

“You said it on the radio”

No I didn’t say exactly that. Prove it.

If it was on the radio, there’s a good chance it can be proved. I think if the OP turned back on that advice, then there’s a fair chance of a refund. Although it might be more trouble than it’s worth. Small claims court might be an option.

PS anyone know what “snarky” means? Or “sub-Guardian”?

On past IOW experience there is no chance anyone will get their money back. As a festival experience it is entirely geared to squeezing the punters for money then dumping them (eventually) in a field policed by rent-a-thugs.

zimbo

PS anyone know what “snarky” means? Or “sub-Guardian”?

Got “snarky” from google. “Sub-Guardian” remains a msytery.

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

On past IOW experience there is no chance anyone will get their money back. As a festival experience it is entirely geared to squeezing the punters for money then dumping them (eventually) in a field policed by rent-a-thugs.

That’s my whole experience of the pile of shite. The whole island and inbred population need sinking!

zimbo

The whole island and inbred population need sinking!

Bit nasty.

Could swap it for the Falklands though? Argentinian weather should improve the water-logging.

I’d be very surprised if anyone gets any money back. The event went ahead, many people did manage to get there.

It only needs someone to state that weather conditions are “An act of God” and that makes all claims null and void – It seems to work like that in the world of insurance anyway!!

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Oh come on, it’s not as bad as the Guardian here.

The “act of God” argument doesn’t work , insurance pays out for flooding of your house for example .

konabunny

Ok, confused, as I though that the basis of the Carbolic Smoke Ball case was that you could?

Yes and no – in one sense, that case stands for the principle that an ad can provide one side of the essential elements of contract, but on the other hand, it “turns on its own facts” (= “copout approaching”), because the circumstances were so unusual that the case actually highlights how difficult it would be to have an advert that did that. For example, the deposit of the hundred quid reward was seen as pretty important in showing that there was an intention by the manufacturer to create legal relations that otherwise isn’t usually present in an ad.

In any case, I suspect that all of this stuff is diverting but mostly irrelevant because a) the contract had already been formed and will have its own terms that probably regulate this exact situation and b) it’s consumer protection/trading standards statutory/regulatory provisions that would be more important than general contract law.

During the ash cloud crisis, many Airlines used the “Act of God” excuse and managed to wriggle out of some of the blame (If you can call it that). Whereas, if you are insured against your house/possesions being damaged in a flood that would be different I guess.

I’ve never really understood it anyway. Each religion has its own “God” so how does that work? Maybe don’t answer that tho eh!!! 🙄

MrNutt

You paid to go to a festival in the UK, around June/July time and you didn’t go prepared for wet weather? Then you are at fault. If you couldn’t gain entry or the facilities weren’t as advertised then good luck with a claim but you’ll most likely be wasting yours and everyone else’s time.

I think the main problem with the Isle of Wight is that in 1970 most festivalgoers probably turned up on motorbikes, not Audi Estates.

Premier Icon StefMcDef
    Subscriber

I moved to the Isle of Wight from Glasgow a few years back largely in the expectation of better weather.

This year we’ve had winter, followed by the rainy season.

I’m looking for a refund, too. 🙁

On the festival, I’m sure I saw that spiv John Giddings on TV talking about refunds. If anyone acted on that and gave up trying to access a site paralysed by failure to anticipate the effects of persistent rain, I’d say they should expect a refund. If only as a PR exercise to ensure he still has an audience for any future IOW festivals.

It is a shite festival anyway. If you want a half decent festival experience on the IOW, come to Bestival in September.

Please see my alternative what tyre thread for subsistence travel across the African savannah

My observation is that it is not the tyre per se but the whole package, and you will find it is this.

Doesn’t matter where you go or how deep the sand is, the tyre tracks will be there.

bigyinn

Pik n Mix – Member
    That’s my whole experience of the pile of shite. The whole island and inbred population need sinking!

If you base your entire opinion on a location purely on one visit during a festival then Im glad you won’t be coming back. How very rude! Out of interest where are YOU from?

don simon

On the festival, I’m sure I saw that spiv John Giddings on TV talking about refunds. If anyone acted on that and gave up trying to access a site paralysed by failure to anticipate the effects of persistent rain, I’d say they should expect a refund.

Would you give your hard earned to someone on the back of a TV interview?
    Full security checks when buying something on one hand, then just walking away on the strength of a possible TV interview.
    People are funny and possibly gullible.

csb

knottinbotswana – Good call. I’ve ridden one of them in China and they’re bombproof.

And for info, I wasn’t at the Isle of Wight Festival, I was just intrigued by this bloke’s u-turn.

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

If you base your entire opinion on a location purely on one visit during a festival then Im glad you won’t be coming back. How very rude! Out of interest where are YOU from?

I’m far to classy to be going to festivals, I’m from Cheshire don’t you know 😉
    Happen to live in the arse end of shitesville currently but it’s still better than your crumbling rock haha!

I wish I had only been there once, red funnel own my soul the amount of money I’ve given them.

(note) this post is intended as light hearted and the pile of shite does have some lovely places and some excellent coarse fishing.

bigrich

event in england affected by rain shocker!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Wight Refunds’ is closed to new replies.